street food .. yay or nay ?

Angeló

Highly depends on the country, probably. We don't really have a culture of street food over here in Holland, so I tend to be kind of wary of street food vendors down here, but I'm not sure if that's always justified. (Probably not, to be honest.) I don't often buy food from street vendors in other countries either, so I don't have much experience with it, but I really think it highly depends on the country.

Tough question that, isn't it. People say things like "only buy from places that you see the locals using", which is sound advice as far as it goes, but are you meant to stalk the streets - getting hungrier and hungrier in the process - doing a head count and checking people's IDs? xD It's not always that practical.

I have very little experience of traveling, so I can't really give much of a useful opinion.

Let's look at this from a different angle...would you be more likely to buy a hotdog from a cart in NYC, than you would be to buy a pakora from a cart in Mumbai...

Because (I suspect) the average person expects to drop down dead if they eat Indian street food, but will happily buy a hotdog in New York, when in reality that 'dog could be just as likely to have you glued to the toilet for the next week...

It's all a matter of perception, isn't it. OFC for people like Angelo, Neilo and myself, America is a foreign country so it counts for this topic. But what I'm saying here is, people kind of expect to get sick from the food in developing or eastern countries, but it maybe doesn't even enter their heads in western places.

But people get sick from eating food in places like India because the meat isn't crammed full of antibiotics like it is in a lot of western countries, and our systems can't handle the higher (but perfectly natural and normal) bacteria levels that it contains. Get sick from that snack from the Big Apple hotdog vendor and it's far more likely to be from poor food hygiene practices. : /

Yes for street food. Where I'm from street food is a whole necessary part of life. There are guys that wouldn't have breakfast if it wasn't for street food! :laughingsmiley: And when you leave a party/fete at 4 in the morning? You need street food to counteract that potential hangover and to silence the worms so you can sleep :laughingsmiley:

But seriously, I'd try street food in other countries because it's one way of experiencing their culture. Food is an integral part of culture around the world. But I am cautious. I'll faster try things that i see being cooked on the spot, especially deep fried or boiled or steamed. I'm relatively sure that any existing microbes would be dead and not enough time for a fresh colony to start multiplying. But probably not so much in India because when our auditors are sent over to the High Commission, they're told to pack their own bottled water :blink:

I've been to Caracas, Venezuela previously. First time and I was sick for the entire trip. I slept on the trip from the airport to the hotel so missed the lecture about not drinking the tap water. Well first thing I did when I got to my hotel room was fill a glass of water and drank because I was thirsty. Later that day and for the next 3 days, I vomited till I thought I'd upchuck my soul; but, best ab workout ever!  I learnt to drink club soda on that trip because that was the only thing staying down. I was in a fog most of the time too. Probably totally dehydrated. The night before we left, we went to a restaurant and they ordered a bowl of beef soup for me. First thing I could eat without immediately puking. Best beef soup I ever ate too... probably because I thought I was going to die lol. 

So I'd try street food.... the local water on the other hand, that might probably kill you faster!

Oh gosh yes, the mayo on chips thing! I'd totally forgotten that's said to be a Dutch thing. It became a thing here in the UK in the 80s if I remember rightly, people being all cool and eating their chips Dutch style and grossing others out who'd not heard of it. :laugh:

I'd forgotten about the water thing, too. DON'T DRINK THE WATER! is a thing for the whole of Europe still, as far as I know. Maybe THAT is why the average UK holiday maker sticks to downing beer in vast quantities instead? :rolleyes: Doesn't really make much sense that water in Europe would make Brits sick, not these days surely? But what do I know!

1 hour ago, acmerasta said:

I'll faster try things that i see being cooked on the spot, especially deep fried or boiled or steamed. I'm relatively sure that any existing microbes would be dead and not enough time for a fresh colony to start multiplying.

Yeah, that's got to be the most sensible option, especially if there's no meat involved you should be able to eat without puking out your entire insides later!

Gosh, you can't go to NYC without having a pretzel from the street vendor the size of your head, or hot roasted chestnuts during the holiday season.  I think there are some things I would stay away from (deep fried tarantulas, chocolate covered crickets- to each their own) but yes, I think I may sample certain items.

i've never gotten sick from street food , even in Egypt (it was really delicious ... also the baked potatoes / coal-grilled corn by the sea or the Nile is a real treat)

and i stayed in the Movenpick so water was safe to drink but then again a big bottle of water is like 10-25 US cents 

in Germany most street food is Middle Eastern as well (Doner - Kebab) ...  

in Russia and Lithuania they have delicious pastries in glass displays (spurgus .. blyn ..) altho the locals prefer McDonald's 

2 hours ago, Angeló said:

what about those famous fries with mayonnaise or peanut sauce ?

amsterdam-fries.jpg

Oh, I guess I just never considered them street food. (You usually have to go into a shop to get them.) But yeah, those are popular around here. (People will even combine the mayo and peanut sauce. Don't ask me why.)

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

Oh gosh yes, the mayo on chips thing! I'd totally forgotten that's said to be a Dutch thing. It became a thing here in the UK in the 80s if I remember rightly, people being all cool and eating their chips Dutch style and grossing others out who'd not heard of it. :laugh:

I'd forgotten about the water thing, too. DON'T DRINK THE WATER! is a thing for the whole of Europe still, as far as I know. Maybe THAT is why the average UK holiday maker sticks to downing beer in vast quantities instead? :rolleyes: Doesn't really make much sense that water in Europe would make Brits sick, not these days surely? But what do I know!

Yeah, that's got to be the most sensible option, especially if there's no meat involved you should be able to eat without puking out your entire insides later!

Lol! I'm personally not a big fan of mayo, or drowning my fries (or any kind of food really) in sauce, so I always order them without sauce/condiments.

Wait, water in Europe is making Brits sick? Has to be just a few countries then, not most of them, I think. France, maybe? I have vague memories of being told not to drink the water in France. (Unrelated: why is Britain often referred to as if it's separate from Europe? :P)
There's a ton of countries where the water is unsafe to drink (and if you're not sure: better safe than sorry). Actually, I often don't drink the water in other countries, including Britain, but that's because it tastes like chlorine to me, not because it isn't safe. (Dutch water is perfectly safe, btw, and doesn't taste like chlorine. Feel free to drink the water here. :D)

Well, the don't drink the water thing is not because it is necessarily unsafe, but more to the thing said about meat above where our bodies aren't used to it.  I think most of the developed world, if it isn't on well water, then it's safe to drink.  I think water treatments standards are getting to be pretty standard.  But, again, better safe than sorry.  And if it is well water, then it will almost certainly have different microorganisms than you are used to.  Certainly don't drink from random streams or anything.  Otherwise, it's only if there is some unusual hazard, or just bad tasting.

51 minutes ago, rntracy1 said:

Gosh, you can't go to NYC without having a pretzel from the street vendor the size of your head

LOL! You've triggered a 35 yr old memory for me with this comment! During our four hours spent in NYC before our flight home we saw a pretzel seller on 5th avenue, I pleaded with my mum to let me have one, but she wouldn't. cry.gif I didn't even know what pretzels were, it just looked awesome and I really wanted one, but I didn't get. *sniffs sadly* lol.

@Nielo I don't actually know if continental water does still make Brits sick, but not drinking water in ANY other country was definitely something that was drummed into people for years and years here. No idea if it still is, but like Balloogal says, I too would have thought that the majority of tap water's perfectly safe to drink now.

My water's chlorine-y, smells like a swimming pool when you first run the tap. I've just gone back to using a water filter, more for my houseplants benefit than mine really!

Ah but Britain IS separate, lol. I think people tend to forget that Scandinavia's part of Europe too, because it's away up there on its own.

Chinese street food <3333 I love jian bin, xiao long bao (little dumpling type things with a soup filling), and you tiao. Every time I visit relatives in China, breakfast is always street food. I've never gotten food poisoning / sick from anything, thankfully!

I have had hot roasted chestnuts in England of all places, and beef patties from the carts on the streets of Jamaica.  For my money, the best street food carts are the ones the locals flock to. In an effort to tone down the fact I was a tourist,  I said to a local "I have not tried this cart before. What would you recommend?"  The man saw right through my attempt to hide that I was visiting Jamaica. He told me that this cart had some of the best patties- seasoned ground beef in a cornmeal shell- on the island. How right he was!

Yeah, I think I've heard Chinese, and maybe Asian countries in general, or their big cities, are ALL ABOUT the street foods.

A note on the bottled water is inexpensive comment above.  One thing that surprised me as a US citizen travelling in Europe was that carbonated (sparkling, fizzy, whatever you call it) was the same price as regular (flat) bottled water.  This was an issue for me in when I first got to Italy, and was not careful in deciphering the Italian writing at the grocery store on the bottled water (I speak Spanish, so I was able to guess at most things).  I probably figured the slightly different labels were more like our spring water vs distilled, and I just made sure it was distilled.  It never occurred to me to look for a word that indicated carbonation, as in the US it's only "fancy" water that's name brand and more expensive.  You don't find store brand fizzy water.  So, it wasn't until I started drinking it that I realized, and I did not like it.  I tried to just let it go flat, hoping maybe then it would be OK..  It wasn't.  Also, I tried to put it in my reusable water bottle with a pop up drink spout thing (typical sport water bottle), and it exploded the pop top open and squirted out.

So, beware when buying bottled water in countries where you don't really speak the language, because while bottled water may be cheap, it may not be regular water.

I've never tried street food in a different country. Not for any special reason other than I never really had the opportunity, as far as I can remember. But my feelings about street food in general is, if it's something I'd eat anywhere else, I'll probably eat it from a street vendor. I eat street food all the time here in Brazil and I've never gotten sick from it. So, to anyone who decides to visit Brazil, I'd say it's quite safe to eat here (unless you have certain allergies or sensitivities, of course). You definitely have to try pastel (my personal favourite):

hati-10.jpg

From wikipedia:

In Brazil, pastel (pl. pastéis) is a typical fast-food Brazilian dish, consisting of half-circle or rectangle-shaped thin crust pies with assorted fillings, fried in vegetable oil. The result is a crispy, brownish fried pie. The most common fillings are ground meat, mozzarella, heart of palm, catupiry cream cheese, chicken and small shrimp. Pastéis with sweet fillings such as guava jam with Minas cheese, banana and chocolate also exist, but are not so common. The pastel is classified in Brazilian cuisine as a salgado (savoury snack). It is traditionally sold on the streets or in fast-food shops known as pastelarias. It is popularly said to have originated when Japanese immigrants adapted Chinese fried wontons to sell as snacks at weekly street markets. A common beverage to drink with pastéis is sugarcane juice.

As for water, I was amazed when I found that in the US and some other countries you can drink water from the tap. You just don't do that here in Brazil (or anywhere else in South America, as far as I know). We either buy water in gallons or get filters. When I visited the US, I felt weird about drinking tap water even though people said it was okay, lol.

@balloongal247 It's the same way here in Brazil! They're the same price, but the bottles have different coloured labels and tops. Regular is usually blue, and fizzy can be any other colour (I've seen green, red, purple...). 

Food is such a big part of the culture of any city, local or international!  Don't miss out by avoiding street fare.  I've eaten street faire in Mexico, central and S. America, Europe, the Caribbean, China, Japan...and street faire in Texas, NY, California and Florida.  I've always been fine, and I got to enjoy some really amazing foods.  

I say definitely go for it, just be smart.  If the place is not known for safe tap water, remember to also avoid ice in drinks, and to brush your teeth with bottled water.  

Generally the rule is to be sure the person handling the money is not the same person cooking.  Money is actually very dirty.  Similarly, if you see a big crowd, it's probably good, and if all the locals avoid it, you should too.  Look for a crowd...there's a reason everyone wants to eat there!

Better yet, ask people to recommend local places.  They'll be happy to help, and pleased that you are willing to share in their culture.

6 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

beware when buying bottled water in countries where you don't really speak the language, because while bottled water may be cheap, it may not be regular water.

thats true .. happened to me in Russia :D same brand of water .. lined up next to each other on the supermarket shelf ... but one was carbonated (i didnt like the taste either ... but i would drink flavored ones like with lime)

i quickly learned that the carbonated one had a different colored cap though (red , as opposed to the normal blue) ...  

My mum got me to try carbonated water when we were in Italy when I was 10...:mellow:

Lol xD

Yeah I wasn't impressed, it's not a taste that I've grown into, either, blech!

So, thinking on what @Nielo said about the Netherlands not having much of a street food culture, I realise that the UK doesn't really either...think this is a hot/cold country thing?

Food carts/trucks do exist, and there's no doubt more in cities, but they're still not much of a thing here. Let me think where I've seen them...

There's a leafy lay-by on one the main roads around here somewhere - created by road straightening years ago - and there used to be a burger van that always set up there. (UK "street food" does tend to be American food, burgers and 'dogs). You can't see it from the road because of the trees, so you only find out about it via word of mouth, and when you turn off into that little leafy lane you find it full of trucks! Now that is another way to tell if food is good, isn't it, if the truck drivers use it. 

There was a burger van that set up in the car park of a shopping area in Lincoln, they were only open for a few hours each day and there was always a BIG queue (another good sign) we queued for 20 minutes for a burger that was fat and juicy and totally delicious. Topped with a fried egg, and horribly messy to eat. but isn't that an important part of the ritual? :laughingsmiley:

Hmm, there was this stall on Lincoln market, that counts as street food doesn't it. He sold beautiful baked potatoes (that seriously were as big as your HEAD, lol) he did the regular toppings that we gravitate towards in the UK - cheese, baked beans and cheese, tuna - but his speciality was cauliflower or broccoli cheese with big chunks of ham in it. .....D: Those were SO good, the cheese sauce was to die for! Was having a conversation about places we've eaten in Lincoln recently with my family, and my sister suddenly sat up straight and was like "OMG, that baked potato guy in the market!!!" It's got to be at least 10 years since we ate his wares, but they have a lasting impression. xD

Hmm, yeah I guess it's where I live that accounts for my lack of experience in my own country's street food, if I lived in a city there'd be more around.

If the food looks good I am a yay! Although in unfamiliar territory I advocate finding out what it is first, if possible. I've had some unpleasant experiences mistaking one food for another... eating jellyfish tentacles instead of noodles immediately springs to mind.

As for water, I guess it's so easy to take for granted in North America. I have my own well, so as long as I take care of it and test it now and again I know my tap water is good. In Korea I used to walk to a spring and fill bottles bc the tap water wasn't good. It's sad that everyone doesn't have free and easy access to clean drinking water. 

1 hour ago, charelan said:

It's sad that everyone doesn't have free and easy access to clean drinking water. 

It really is, isn't it : /

With all the advances in technology that humanity has accomplished, but it's yet to manage this...

What we have now is douchenozzle multinationals selling soda to uneducated people in 3rd world countries and it being fed to babies in their bottles so their first teeth come through rotten...but clean water for these same people? Nope. <_<

No PROFIT to be made from water, is there!

17 hours ago, jellysundae said:

@Nielo I don't actually know if continental water does still make Brits sick, but not drinking water in ANY other country was definitely something that was drummed into people for years and years here. No idea if it still is, but like Balloogal says, I too would have thought that the majority of tap water's perfectly safe to drink now.

My water's chlorine-y, smells like a swimming pool when you first run the tap. I've just gone back to using a water filter, more for my houseplants benefit than mine really!

Ah but Britain IS separate, lol. I think people tend to forget that Scandinavia's part of Europe too, because it's away up there on its own.

Yeah, I guess I was always taught not to drink the water anywhere else as well (but that included Britain).

That smell of chlorine always immediately turns me off the idea of ever drinking the water that comes out of that tap. XD

(Britain is its own continent then? :P)

12 hours ago, deboratibi said:

@balloongal247 It's the same way here in Brazil! They're the same price, but the bottles have different coloured labels and tops. Regular is usually blue, and fizzy can be any other colour (I've seen green, red, purple...). 

I think blue is commonly used for flat water, and in Holland (and a lot of other European countries) red is used for carbonated water.

4 hours ago, jellysundae said:

So, thinking on what @Nielo said about the Netherlands not having much of a street food culture, I realise that the UK doesn't really either...think this is a hot/cold country thing?

That sounds reasonable. Rain might also play a part in it. :P

Besides, I think a lot of streetfood is food that's typical for that country. Holland has very few typical dishes, and even fewer that would lend themselves to street food. I think the one tradition that comes closest is getting snacks out of the wall:

muur_eten.jpg

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

Britain is its own continent then? :P

Some Brits certainly like to think so. :laughingsmiley:

I think it's just that because we're physically separated from the rest of Europe, so there IS that "rest of Europe" mentality, like the UK is somehow different.

Hmmm...

Or apart, at least. There's DEFINITELY no sense of neighbourliness, is there! The British and the French have historically hated each since forever and they're our closest neighbours.

So the thing with the water...this is like some universal old wives' tale that's way outlived its accuracy in the western world now, it would seem, but is still told to people? I wonder how many more generations it's going to take for it to no longer be a thing that gets handed down to new holiday makers, lol.

I also wonder if South American tap water will ever be safe to drink!

That food out of the wall thing make me thing of Japan! Looks like an Asian lady using it in that pic too, lol. All good healthy stuff on offer there by the look of it. xD Though...there's a word that looks suspiciously like vegetables, cut off by the left edge of the pic. :ph34r:  :laughingsmiley:

11 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Some Brits certainly like to think so. :laughingsmiley:

I think it's just that because we're physically separated from the rest of Europe, so there IS that "rest of Europe" mentality, like the UK is somehow different.

Hmmm...

Or apart, at least. There's DEFINITELY no sense of neighbourliness, is there! The British and the French have historically hated each since forever and they're our closest neighbours.

So the thing with the water...this is like some universal old wives' tale that's way outlived its accuracy in the western world now, it would seem, but is still told to people? I wonder how many more generations it's going to take for it to no longer be a thing that gets handed down to new holiday makers, lol.

I also wonder if South American tap water will ever be safe to drink!

That food out of the wall thing make me thing of Japan! Looks like an Asian lady using it in that pic too, lol. All good healthy stuff on offer there by the look of it. xD Though...there's a word that looks suspiciously like vegetables, cut off by the left edge of the pic. :ph34r:  :laughingsmiley:

Lol! I think it's a mentality that influences other countries as well, since I've heard Americans say "the UK and Europe" on more than one occasion. XD

Ha, that's true. (I always felt like rivalries between close neighbouring countries are very common/almost expected though. The Dutch and the Belgians always make fun of each other, as do the Spanish and the Portuguese.)

I guess Japan is known for vending machine kind of things as well, but I've never visited Japan myself, so I have no idea if they have anything similar to this there.

Yup, all super healthy fried stuff. XD

(The word probably is 'vegetables', but I think it refers to the filling of one of the fried snacks - it's usually filled with pieces of meat, but there is a vegetarian version of it as well.)

43 minutes ago, Nielo said:

The Dutch and the Belgians always make fun of each other

Doesn't EVERYONE make fun of Belgium? :ph34r:

Poor old Belgium, it's certainly the butt of a lot of British jokes, mainly about how dull it apparently is. Maybe we're just relieved to find a country more boring than us?

I guess being an ass towards your closest neighbouring country's better than throwing bombs at them.

Hmm!!

Now that makes me wonder...just how different the UK's attitude towards the rest of Europe might be if we were actually attached and couldn't be quite so aloof. Our food would probably be better for a start!