Always Check Before Buying .....

Angeló

i just bought a Mime Usuki for 110k on the TP .. a bargain , compared to its price a couple months ago (300k)

right ?

wrong !

the seller wanted 175k and when I offered 110k they accepted instantly !! which made me a bit suspicious so I checked the shop wiz and there are a few buyable one for 98-99k

i over-bid

well i only lost 10k but let this be a lesson and fair warning for everyone to always - ALWAYS - check the shop wiz first ... also check other TP lots and Auctions to compare prices and don't rely on JN price guide so much especially lately as it's not updated as frequently as it used to be (it still lists this item for 175k) 

Only a little burn for you there then. I've only ever found JN useful as a ballpark guideline. Things like kad food for example, when the price people are actually asking for it is maybe 3 times what JN has listed!

Yeah, I use JN as a ballpark, history, maybe pricing for when I don't really care, particularly before I had SSW.  If you want more updated, you can look at their trading post history, that'll have all the recent trades with wishlists, even if the price isn't updated, so that can help you get a recent price if the current lots don't actually list prices.

Another nice feature of JellyNeo's database is they have links to the SW, TP, Auction House etc. on the same page for easy access. Obviously Neo does too on top, but I like starting with the history on Jelly's page for a valuable item and then going from there. I haven't really used the new TDN database yet, is it complete? I noticed that they also have the links on the item page but at the bottom instead of the left side. 

I just did a test to compare the two. A search of "paint brush" on TDN = 131 results. On JN, 149. I wonder why there is a difference and what is left out of TDN? Maybe a more thorough comparison between them should be (or already is) covered in another thread.

27 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Another nice feature of JellyNeo's database is they have links to the SW, TP, Auction House etc. on the same page for easy access. Obviously Neo does too on top, but I like starting with the history on Jelly's page for a valuable item and then going from there. I haven't really used the new TDN database yet, is it complete? I noticed that they also have the links on the item page but at the bottom instead of the left side. 

I just did a test to compare the two. A search of "paint brush" on TDN = 131 results. On JN, 149. I wonder why there is a difference and what is left out of TDN? Maybe a more thorough comparison between them should be (or already is) covered in another thread.

Does the TDN database include NC items, items that were never actually released, or items that are no trade like the starter paint brushes?  JN includes the 4 starter PBs, the "jelly" pb that was never actually an item, and 2 NC items in that paint brush search.  I don't know what the other 11 items would be though.  Last I checked, it looked like the TDN database didn't include prices.  Has that changed, or is it going to?

40 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Last I checked, it looked like the TDN database didn't include prices.  Has that changed, or is it going to?

I'm hoping this does become a thing, because for me at least, without prices I don't find it any use.

I'd imagine it would be a hideous amount of work though, and TDN's staff seem stretched pretty thin right now and have for some time.

4 hours ago, lakecat said:

It's possible that some items within your search field got missed. I have about a 3 page log file to get through and add the missing items that weren't added during import. I've been really busy and haven't had time to do this. Between looking after my 3 girls, summer school learning with my 6 year old, my own school work, plus regular house duties there just hasn't been time to tackle it. I'm hoping to get to it this month (September) but first I need to catch up in my course so I don't fall too far behind. On another note if JN is listing items that are unreleased, they haven't been included in our database because they cannot be found on Neopets. You will notice a few unreleased items, but those were released in the news and just not activated. :D

4 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

Does the TDN database include NC items, items that were never actually released, or items that are no trade like the starter paint brushes?  JN includes the 4 starter PBs, the "jelly" pb that was never actually an item, and 2 NC items in that paint brush search.  I don't know what the other 11 items would be though.  Last I checked, it looked like the TDN database didn't include prices.  Has that changed, or is it going to?

Because we don't include unreleased items and the No Trade starter paint brushes may have been missed if there's a duplicate of that name already in the database. I will have to look into this as I am now curious. I have physio this afternoon for my wrist that I strained, so I'll check later this evening and get back to you all on that.

As for adding prices, it is our goal to provide a complete price history and tracking. This will become easier for users to do and not have staff soley responsible for updating prices. Ian is working on integrating our database with myTDN so new features can be added like wishlists and price tracking. I'm not entirely sure how all that is going to work, but one step at a time. :D

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I'm hoping this does become a thing, because for me at least, without prices I don't find it any use.

I'd imagine it would be a hideous amount of work though, and TDN's staff seem stretched pretty thin right now and have for some time.

The idea behind our prices when we have them is for them to be more user friendly. We will get there!

You are absolutely right! It would be a tremendous amount of work for us to do right now. Eventually I do plan on going through the entire database to correct notes and other things. Because this has changed hands so many times, there are different variations of things and my goal is to  have everything cohesive. That alone is a ton of work to do and it will just be me doing it so I can ensure things are done properly. As for adding prices, right now it's only hrtbrk and myself adding items and keeping things maintained as much as we can.

We are stretched really thin and have been for quite some time and as soon as Ian opens up our DB with myTDN integration we will be hiring so if you want to help out with adding items, updating prices etc. that opportunity is coming. If you know this is something you'd be interested in, please send me a PM. :D

1 hour ago, Mouseykins said:

We are stretched really thin and have been for quite some time and as soon as Ian opens up our DB with myTDN integration we will be hiring so if you want to help out with adding items, updating prices etc. that opportunity is coming. If you know this is something you'd be interested in, please send me a PM. :D

I truly wish I could help, sadly, because of my MS I'd not be able to, not unless you truly WANTED all your hard work to be destroyed in one of my stellar derp moments? I'm REALLY good at those. :arrowhead:

I notice no-one seemed to bite when staff positions were advertised earlier in the year which made me feel anxious as you only advertise when you need people. Just as I noticed the AC commentary didn't happen this year, which was sad because that's fun to read.

Can we bully people into becoming mods? *pokes @Scoobert_Doo repeatedly with a stick* :ph34r: So wrong of me saying something like that, on SO many levels, I don't even know where to start! I should just go to bed, I'm gonna cringe when I see this tomorrow as it is!

9 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

...Between looking after my 3 girls, summer school learning with my 6 year old, my own school work, plus regular house duties there just hasn't been time to tackle it. I'm hoping to get to it this month (September) but first I need to catch up in my course so I don't fall too far behind. ....Because this has changed hands so many times, there are different variations of things and my goal is to  have everything cohesive. That alone is a ton of work to do and it will just be me doing it so I can ensure things are done properly. As for adding prices, right now it's only hrtbrk and myself adding items and keeping things maintained as much as we can. We are stretched really thin and have been for quite some time...

Wow, Mouseykins, I had no idea you were that busy! o_O You sound like you need a vacation. No hurries, take your time. Life comes first. :angel:

2 hours ago, lakecat said:

Wow, Mouseykins, I had no idea you were that busy! o_O You sound like you need a vacation. No hurries, take your time. Life comes first. :angel:

I'm very busy for sure! Things should settle down a bit starting next week, during the day at least. My daughter starts grade 1 on Tuesday! I'll be walking her to and from school everyday so during the day while she's gone I'll have a bit more available time.

On another note I went through and discovered the 17 items from the category that we're missing and will look into getting them added asap. However the Jelly Paint Brush JN has listed will not be added to our database because it hasn't actually been released and jelly is a lab only color. Thanks for pointing this out and if you see something else wonky, let me know. :D

if you see something else wonky, let me know. :D

You're welcome, MK. I'm thinking you may want to start a separate thread for that, maybe even a pinned one. Something like "Database Items" or "Database Searches" as a start. That way we can submit possible missing items and search issues and you can see them and add them at your leisure. 

13 hours ago, lakecat said:

You're welcome, MK. I'm thinking you may want to start a separate thread for that, maybe even a pinned one. Something like "Database Items" or "Database Searches" as a start. That way we can submit possible missing items and search issues and you can see them and add them at your leisure. 

A PM would actually be easier than a thread, but I will consider it. I still have to go through our logs from the initial import. :D