Questions about Neopian Times avatars

eloralestrange

Okay, so I have some questions about the two Neopian Times avatars. 

Neopian Times Writer avatar: Get published in a Neopian Times issue ending in "50" or "00". If I were to publish a series (I read somewhere that each part of the series is released weekly), would this net me the avatar? I see that the 800th issue is coming out soon. They come out weekly, correct? 

Neopian Times Star avatar: Get into the Neopian Times 10+ times. If I publish a series with, say, 10 parts, would I get the avatar or would it only count as one publication?

Do comics that I create count towards either avatar?

Also, what are the easiest categories to get published in? There are lots of forum posts on Google about how hard it is to get published, but then I look at the date and they are at least 5 years old. Is it still as difficult? I absolutely intend on creating quality content, but I'm not sure how good I am at fiction. I'd like to write a guide. Suggestions?

If you publish a series with 10 parts, each part would count as a publication and you'd get the avatar! As for the Neopian Times Writer, I'm not completely sure but I do believe that if you start a series a few weeks before the next 50th or 100th issue, you will get published on that issue. But keep in mind that a lot of people are prepared for this and might be using the same strategy, so it's going to be very competitive. It's still worth giving it a shot, of course, because you have nothing to lose. If you don't get published on the special issue, you can still get published on a regular issue so your work won't have been a waste of time (unless your work pertains too much to the special issue and wouldn't be relevant anymore in another one).

It's a lot easier to get published in the NT these days, but even back in the day it wasn't as hard as some people made it seem. I don't know which categories are the easiest, but you don't really have to worry about that. Comics definitely count (I've published 3 so far), and if you'd like to write a guide you can publish that as an article.

If you haven't already, I suggest having a look at this directory: http://www.neopets.com/~Hallae
It compiles a bunch of guides and NT articles about writing (for the NT or in general).