Caption Contest Rejection Club

deboratibi

I have a long history of not being chosen for the Caption Contest, so I decided it would be nice to make a topic for fellow rejectees to vent and share their captions. We don't need TNT/JumpStaff's stinkin' approval! *blows raspberry* Just kidding, of course we do. *sobs*

caption_1402.gif

How many of you sent in captions this round? I did, and pretty much all of my jokes were done by other people, in one way or another.

Bruce: Why isn't this working? I'm still Pink!
Kacheek: Sir, I'm afraid this isn't how you turn yourself into a Chocolate pet...
Meercas: *snickers*
(mandatory "turning into chocolate" joke)

Meercas: ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
(I kinda would have hated to be chosen for this one, but alas, this exact joke is there anyway)

Bruce: Milk chocolate? Seriously? I said 90% cacao, guys.
(I think this is my least unoriginal one, but still, a variation of this was also done)

Bruce: Ugh, whose idea was it to leave the pinata out in the sun? Look at me, I'm covered in chocolate now!
Kacheek: And this is an issue, because...?
(bleh)

Just to be clear, the point of this topic isn't to be seriously bitter about not being chosen, it's all in good fun! We'll make it in someday. :glasses:

i didnt save any of the captions i sent .. but im afraid the level of the chosen captions is really low .. ure are much funnier

i used to get in regularly before the CC hiatus ... bcz the old TNT got my sense my humor 

On 9/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, acorah said:

Deb, I thought your captions were great!

I thought they were great too! Silly TNT/JS-maybe their switch switched out their sense of humor?:confused: :laugh:

On 9/15/2017 at 9:09 PM, Angeló said:

i used to get in regularly before the CC hiatus ... bcz the old TNT got my sense my humor 

Really, you won at CC back in the day? I mean it as, of course you're funny Angelo, I am just amazed if ANYONE I know can win at this game.

And now for my pathetic attempts...

caption_1402.gif 

Pink Bruce: I said I wanted to be CANDY! Not Chocolate! This is NOT cool!

1 hour ago, midnight_spell360 said:

Really, you won at CC back in the day? I mean it as, of course you're funny Angelo, I am just amazed if ANYONE I know can win at this game.

yes i have 3 Gold Trophies .. i placed 3rd once an 4th twice .. and several other times i placed around 9th - 12th ...

http://www.neopets.com/~alsou

here's a petpage with my CC entries 

(i''ll move the first few ones from the greedy photobucket to imgur soon)

Thanks guys! You know, I don't mind so much the captions that were chosen, for what they are... Because I can't do a lot better than that, so at least I feel like there's hope for me, lol. What bothers me the most is how they choose captions that are basically the same joke. There are two captions about the Bruce preferring vanilla... They could have chosen my 90% cacao joke (or midnight's Candy joke), because then while it's essentially still the same idea behind the vanilla ones, at least it's a different flavour xD

@Angeló Your captions are great! This one's my favourite:

XwNSEJe.png

ROFL lol.gif

XwNSEJe.png I remember that one! I don't think I was a TDN member at that time, I just loved submitting captions and was hoping one day...and then we got stuck on....OH! They won't show us the Usul skiing downhill with the Snowager coming down after her? Hmmm:whaa::hmmph::whistle:

Anyway, Angelo & Deb, you both crack me up! :thumbsup::lmaosmiley:

• 3 weeks later...

GUYS, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS! I didn't get in again... rofl

caption_1403.gif

I didn't like this month's image too much, so it was hard for me to think of something... But I forced myself a bit and managed to submit these two:

Tombola Guy [dancing]: STOP! TIKI TIME!

Blumaroo: I'm taking over the Tiki Tack Tombola, and there's nothing you can do about it! *evil laughter*
Tombola Guy: FINALLY!!! RETIREMENT, HERE I COME!

*re-reads captions*

:eh: 

Ok, maybe I'm glad I didn't make it in. lol

6 hours ago, deboratibi said:

GUYS, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS! I didn't get in again... rofl

caption_1403.gif

I didn't like this month's image too much, so it was hard for me to think of something... But I forced myself a bit and managed to submit these two:

Tombola Guy [dancing]: STOP! TIKI TIME!

Blumaroo: I'm taking over the Tiki Tack Tombola, and there's nothing you can do about it! *evil laughter*
Tombola Guy: FINALLY!!! RETIREMENT, HERE I COME!

*re-reads captions*

:eh: 

Ok, maybe I'm glad I didn't make it in. lol

the second one was funny and could've easily got in ... 

don't give up :) there's always next month 

Hey there! 

First and foremost...DON'T GIVE UP!!!

I've been a regular CC submitter for a long while...while I have wins, I have way more losses!

They get TONS of entries...so many that I have NEVER been convinced that they all get read. As such, it just comes down to WHEN you entered your submission and what 'chunk' of submissions the judge(s) decides to read through.

When it comes to submitting captions, I try to mix it up. I've not yet come across any sort of 'best time' to enter (and I'm really bad about remembering WHEN I have entered any particular caption), but spreading your submissions out might help?

There are always going to be great captions missed (and, the other side of the coin, captions that 'we' may not find that funny will always make it in). Don't take it as personal offense, though, it is probably more about the timing than about the caption.

So, yah, I will close as I started...

DON'T GIVE UP!!

(and good luck!)

:P

@fullonparanoid Thanks for the advice! You know, I did start to wonder lately if it had more to do with timing. Because last month they accepted captions that were similar to all the ones I sent in. I know you said you haven't figured out a best time, but how would you go about "spreading" them out? Over hours on the day it was released, or over days? Also, if you only have 3 or 4 captions, do you submit them more than once? I once asked a question about the CC in the editorial and they said that you could send in as many captions as you like, but if you sent in the same ones too many times this might annoy the judge. So I always submit mine just once... But maybe I should try sending them in a few more times (but being careful not to spam)? And spreading them out, like you said.

You are most welcome, Deb! I want folks to enjoy the CC so that it sticks around and is not put out to pasture again! :D

I try to put in a couple a day from the day the image is posted until captions are up for voting. Of late, this means I have run out of 'good ideas' LONG before the captions go up. /grin

Rather than putting in the same caption more than once...try re-wording it. Or presenting it from the viewpoint of another of the 'characters' in the image. That way it is still the same idea but NOT a duplicate that might 'annoy' any of the judges.

The only other 'bit' of advice I can think of is to try to come up with captions for EACH of the characters in the image. That way, IF they base their decisions in part on how many captions from each character you are covered (and it is TOTALLY an 'if'...I have NO clue if they do so).

Good luck! and...most importantly...HAVE FUN!!

i agree with Josh 

my caption that was chosen this time was the first one i submitted .. about a day after the image was up ..

i submitted about 20 other ones over the next few days (i always do a bunch of 5's) ... but they probably never got to reading them ... so if u have lots of ideas .. submit the ones u think are funniest first ... the problem is that i make them up over the week ... so sometimes my better ones come later and don't pick up .. either way SUBMIT whatever comes to your mind ...

6 hours ago, fullonparanoid said:

Rather than putting in the same caption more than once...try re-wording it. Or presenting it from the viewpoint of another of the 'characters' in the image. That way it is still the same idea but NOT a duplicate that might 'annoy' any of the judges.

The only other 'bit' of advice I can think of is to try to come up with captions for EACH of the characters in the image. That way, IF they base their decisions in part on how many captions from each character you are covered (and it is TOTALLY an 'if'...I have NO clue if they do so).

Brilliant!!! :biggrin: Seriously, thank you so much, again! I'm feeling a lot more hopeful!

@Angeló I remember when they brought back the CC, some people were saying that everyone that got in that round sent in their captions within a certain time frame... Which was pretty much right after the image was posted. I think I need to keep better track of when they post the new contest... Every time since the CC came back, I only found out about the current round several hours later. How do I know when the next one is coming up? I know now we have them once a month, but are they posted on a specific date? I'm not always online at news time, so I'd like to set an alarm for this. lol

• 1 month later...

I've come to announce that I just lost my rejection club membership, BECAUSE I'VE FINALLY BEEN ACCEPTED!!! I'm not going to advertise my entry here, I just wanted to thank you guys again for all your advice, because it certainly helped! :biggrin: :heart:

*goes to vote for Deb*

At least the ones that currently have the most votes are actually funny! Well, the one that's way out in front didn't amuse me, but I guess that person has a lot of friends to vote for them.

Congrats on losing your membership! /grin

So far as the best time to enter captions goes...my experience since the reboot says it is pretty random.

I know that the FIRST image that was posted with the return of the CC, the captions chosen were those entered right off the bat. HOWEVER, that image was only up for a few short hours before they posted captions to vote on. So, really, the ONLY time captions COULD be posted/chosen were right off the bat.

Since the first image, I have been in a couple of the voting rounds. I know for a fact that WHEN I entered my chosen captions was different for each contest.

So, for now...there is no real 'solid' advice as to when to submit captions. What I do is try to enter them here and there over a few days rather than all at once.

Also, the timing of when they post captions to vote on has been pretty willy-nilly. It was supposed to be 1 week to submit captions and then the rest of the month for voting (which many of us voiced concern over...that is a LONG time to deal with advertising/voting).

Yesterday, however, Scrappy replied to a long-time CC'er NM request that the timing of the contest be changed to:

1 Week to Submit Captions

1 Week for CC Judge(s) to Choose Captions

1 Week for Voting,

1 Week Off

Rinse/Repeat

Scrappy's reply:

You know what, I think that's a great idea. We were a little worried about having a week strictly of off time but I love that time frame! I'll announce it in the editorial and we will start doing that in December

-Scrappy

So, hopefully we will see that change noted in this week's Editorial! :D

Good luck to everyone with captions being voted on and good future luck to everyone trying lose membership in the OP's club!

---just for grins, here are a few of my entries that were not chosen:

Unlit Candle: You're hot!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Lit Candle: You're wicked!

Lit Candle to Unlit Candle: I guess any chance of a love connection just went up in smoke.

Balloons: Imagine how WE feel!

:D

@fullonparanoid what did you win in the last round ? i got a 100 dubloon coin .. worth 22k or smthg ...  

i didn't submit any captions for this round ... seems like it's barely worth the hustle ... 

You know what, I think that's a great idea. We were a little worried about having a week strictly of off time but I love that time frame! I'll announce it in the editorial and we will start doing that in December

where did Scrappy say that ?

14 hours ago, deboratibi said:

I've come to announce that I just lost my rejection club membership, BECAUSE I'VE FINALLY BEEN ACCEPTED!!! I'm not going to advertise my entry here, I just wanted to thank you guys again for all your advice, because it certainly helped! :biggrin: :heart:

congrats Deb  :)

That was Scrappy's reply to an NM from a longtime regular CC'er. I'm hoping to see it mentioned in this week's Editorial. /smile

I got a semi-cheapy petpet...a Werhond as my prize in the last contest. Not my best prize, by far...but not my worst either! :P

We were hoping that Scrappy was gonna remove the items from the shallow (cheap) end of the Prize Pool...but I guess that is further down her list of things to do. :D

Somewhere on my old computer I have a list of the CC prizes I got. Several Codestones, Dubloons, and Petpets worth only a few hundred nps are on it. It really is RANDOM. In the same contest one winner might get a Candychan and another might get a Mazzew. At some point Scrappy mentioned she was gonna see about removing the cheap items from the Pool but I don't think that has happened yet (I think she said it in an Editorial answer, actually)

Part of the fun of it IS the random nature of it (thought admittedly, I wouldn't miss the cheapy prizes!) /grin

I just have fun with it...win or lose. 

I just noticed a few minutes ago that someone actually has 2 captions in this contest. That used to happen now and again in the past...but I thought Scrappy said they were gonna prevent it from happening with the CC reboot (because the first image had like 3 users with double captions). I might shoot a question to the Editorial about that.

Good luck all!

:D

yes .. i noticed that as well .. one person got 2 captions in .. 

i used to have a list as well .. it ranged from normal codestones to PB's .. remember when they were late giving out prizes ?? i once woke up to a Maraquan PB and a Wraith PB sitting in my inventory side by side .. as for petpets i got a Niptor worth 1000NP , a Feloreena worth 300k ... and once a Snowickle worth 4 Mil ..  ... so yes it's random but i was really hoping Scrappy would fix the Rarity Range (now a 100 Dubloon IS still a rare item that used to go for more than 100k .. it's deflation is not her fault...)  

Thanks, everyone!!! :heart:

23 hours ago, Casadawn said:

Just checked to find out I have indeed been rejected again... Guess I'll try again next month!

Yes, keep trying! And I recommend following all the advice shared here, especially the one about not submitting all your captions at once!

19 hours ago, fullonparanoid said:

Also, the timing of when they post captions to vote on has been pretty willy-nilly. It was supposed to be 1 week to submit captions and then the rest of the month for voting (which many of us voiced concern over...that is a LONG time to deal with advertising/voting).

Yesterday, however, Scrappy replied to a long-time CC'er NM request that the timing of the contest be changed to:

1 Week to Submit Captions

1 Week for CC Judge(s) to Choose Captions

1 Week for Voting,

1 Week Off

Rinse/Repeat

Thank goodness for that! But it's too bad I still have to advertise throughout the rest of the month for this round. Speaking of advertising, do you have any advice for that? I'm not doing so bad in terms of votes, but I'm not doing so great either. I always hoped that when I got in the CC that I'd be able to advertise here, but then they changed that rule. And I kinda hate that we can't make topics on the neoboards either, we can only use our signatures. Being able to post with our signatures on all boards may sound like an advantage (compared to the BC, where you can only post on the Art boards), but I'm coming to realise it isn't. I feel a lot of people are annoyed by CC signatures so much that they refuse to check them out. And I can't outright ask for votes, because that would be spamming. I noticed some entrants help out at the Quests board with their signatures, but idk, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that. 

I never thought that getting votes would be almost as hard as being accepted in the contest, lol. I really want to win, because who knows if I'll ever make it in the contest again :stun: