Making my draik look pretty

jellysundae

Sooo...yeah my lack of impulse control got the better of me and I bought some NC :blush02:

So right now I'm looking at options for helping my Draiky girl actually look like a girl, without looking dumb or fugly to me.

I've currently got her wearing the Dark Translucent Wings which I think look great against her colouring, pairing that with the Darkest Faerie Dress would look very nice, I think.

medium_preview.png

I find the cut of the dress feminine and lovely, and those wings have the added bonus of disguising how the dress doesn't cover her tail completely so I'm really happy about that, and the hue combo that's going on is very pleasing to me.

I've been trying hair/hats on her. I find this difficult because some items look cute with the way they frame her face, but look stupid and/or physically impossible because of her ears. If I can ignore her ears i think this hair looks adorable! Ears do stick out through hair so it doesn't look as strange as the hats do, and her earring doesn't conflict with it which is nice.

medium_preview.png

The Woodland Archer wig also looks pretty good, though I prefer the blonde one, I think because the headband is prettier? I like her as a redhead though, should I go for both?

medium_preview.png

I don't want my Kacheek to feel left out, so I'm contemplating another top for him, and some boots, because I've never been happy with the colours of the available NP footwear.

medium_preview.png

I like the shade of those Rugged Work Boots a lot, and I really like the Maroon Layered Jacket, but...it makes him look like he's got no shirt on, and it's on the shirt layer so I can't put anything underneath it. :sad01_anim: WTF isn't it on the jacket layer?! *shakes fist*  Though I am considering the Fringed Blanket Scarf too, I've liked that since it came out.

medium_preview.png

That solves the no shirt issue, I think looks pretty cute and cosy too, and it's better than the Woolen Scarf that I already have as that's too long, he'd trip over it. lol.gif

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I think what I'm doing here is looking for approbation from you guys to make me feel less guilty about buying NC in the first place. >_<

I think maybe the red hair looks good with her face, but maybe is just too many colors with the blue dress and purple wings?  The blonde looks better with that outfit, but the red may look excellent with a more neutral outfit.  I don't mind the ears sticking out, if you are thinking about it as "their" hair rather than a wig being put on like a hat, when they have super large pointy ears, it would make sense that they would stick out of the hair.

The kacheek clothes are nice.  I think I like the scarf the best, but the other clothes just aren't my preference, they are still nice.  The jacket/shirt may even be something I'd actually wear in real life.  They have a more neutral skin color, so you could go bolder with the colors, but maybe then you wouldn't think it looks masculine? 

7 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

I think maybe the red hair looks good with her face, but maybe is just too many colors with the blue dress and purple wings?  The blonde looks better with that outfit, but the red may look excellent with a more neutral outfit.  I don't mind the ears sticking out, if you are thinking about it as "their" hair rather than a wig being put on like a hat, when they have super large pointy ears, it would make sense that they would stick out of the hair.

The kacheek clothes are nice.  I think I like the scarf the best, but the other clothes just aren't my preference, they are still nice.  The jacket/shirt may even be something I'd actually wear in real life.  They have a more neutral skin color, so you could go bolder with the colors, but maybe then you wouldn't think it looks masculine? 

I think you're right about the red hair, I do like how it looks, but the blonde looks far nicer. I think I'll likely get the blonde one and put the red one on the back-burner for now because as you say, it could go far better with a different outfit. I really like how it looks with that dress, but it clashes with the wing colour a bit.

You've hit on something there with successfully getting Kacheeks to look masculine. Maybe it's the big head that does it, their proportions are more like that of a baby really, aren't they, lol. So that's probably why I often feel he never looks quite right. I am liking that jacket and scarf combo though, so I think I'm likely to get those items, paired with trousers rather than the jeans he's got on now, I don't generally have him wearing jeans, but I did have him out in a field harvesting courgettes before I started trying stuff on, lol.

He doesn't have a lot of bold stuff, his personality doesn't seem to lean that way, though he may surprise me one day, this unassuming little guy manages to make his preferences known, as @Yuiina and I discovered when we sent him off on holiday recently. WE had decided he was going to the beach but he soon went off exploring in the jungle instead. lol.gif

EDIT:

Oh hey @balloongal247 look how right you were!

medium_preview.png

I had my eye on this dress too, took me a while to think of seeing how it looked with her own wings, lol  :rolleyes: the red hair works nicely with this look, doesn't it. :D

I think the choices you made are excellent - I love the scarf on your kacheek! The red hair looks great with that blue dress, too, but I agree the blonde looks nicer with the navy dress and translucent wings. I think all of the items you've been eyeing would be good purchases that will go well with other looks, too. 

On 9/18/2017 at 0:36 PM, charelan said:

I think the choices you made are excellent - I love the scarf on your kacheek! The red hair looks great with that blue dress, too, but I agree the blonde looks nicer with the navy dress and translucent wings. I think all of the items you've been eyeing would be good purchases that will go well with other looks, too. 

Thank you! This is just the kind of enabling that I like! :laugh::D

I still haven't bought any of these things yet mind! They're in my cart patiently waiting for me to take the plunge. xD

I'm considering an NC Collectables background too...

medium_preview.png

I rather like this, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to spend 250 NC on it. Pretty sure that's because I'm not used to spending NC though, I guess I have 'til the end of the month to make my mind up!

Welcome to the club! :laugh:

I wasn't digging the red hair at first, but it looks great with that dress and background! Speaking of the background, I would highly recommend you get it if you really like it, because once it's not buyable anymore, it will be worth more than 250 NC. From what I've seen, this background is becoming quite popular, so if for some reason you decide you don't want it anymore in the future, it will be easy to trade for something else (something worth at least 2 caps, but very likely more). 

On 9/19/2017 at 7:52 AM, deboratibi said:

Welcome to the club! :laugh:

I wasn't digging the red hair at first, but it looks great with that dress and background! Speaking of the background, I would highly recommend you get it if you really like it, because once it's not buyable anymore, it will be worth more than 250 NC. From what I've seen, this background is becoming quite popular, so if for some reason you decide you don't want it anymore in the future, it will be easy to trade for something else (something worth at least 2 caps, but very likely more). 

I bought everything yesterday in the end :D No regrets, lol.

Not done anything interesting so far with Tafe ( @Yuiina christened him this, cool name, isn't it? :D) But he's wrapped up nicely for his early autumn harvesting now.

medium_preview.png

Miss. Gen on the other hand seems to have some personality blossoming! Looks so innocent and naive, doesn't she? Out on her own in a dark back alley with her basket of cupcakes...what any would-be attacker doesn't know is she's got a knife concealed in that basket...:ph34r: I'm SO grateful for those Angry Meepit contacts, and how they don't look angry on draiks, because I honestly don't like how ANY other eyes look on her. I guess I have the option of old NC ones now, but I like how sweet she looks with these.

medium_preview.png

I'm already developing an NC wishlist, lol. I'm going to have SO MANY QUESTIONS before I finally fully understand how NC trading works, but I know you'll be patient with me. :wub_anim:

This tree is something I'm hoping to get, so I can create this look.

medium_preview.png

I like how the layering conflict of the tree and the balcony rail makes it look like a partially ruined tower deep in an over-grown forest. Is she a secret princess? :O lol.

*sigh* I've just been sat here being dumb - scrolling through all your posts looking for where you posted your NC items - how about if I just ask you for the link!! :rolleyes: It'll make me happy if you have any of the items that I want. :3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@deboratibi @balloongal247  Wanted to share how my girl's currently looking, because I got a lovely gift of the big pink bow from @charelan which absolutely makes Gen's outfit :heart:

medium_preview.png

This got me checking out other scarf options and I discovered ylana's shirt and scarf. mall_clo_ylana_shirt_scarf.gifThat shirt...seriously fug, isn't it?! but I love the scarf part of it, the movement is great! Annddd OH HOHO! You can get sneaky with it! You can layer it under things on the jacket layer that cover up the shirt :D So I'm definitely going to get it!

medium_preview.png

Deb, do you have NC items to trade? I thought you did, but now I'm doubting myself. I know @kirschteins has other NC items that I'm considering, but I'd like to check out what you other guys may have too. ^_^

OH, and...speaking of sne(a)ky, I bought the Fance shirt and will forever think of that as my Deb shirt because of your link to its creation. :D 

On 9/19/2017 at 11:44 AM, jellysundae said:

This got me checking out other scarf options and I discovered ylana's shirt and scarf. mall_clo_ylana_shirt_scarf.gifThat shirt...seriously fug, isn't it?! but I love the scarf part of it, the movement is great! Annddd OH HOHO! You can get sneaky with it! You can layer it under things on the jacket layer that cover up the shirt :D So I'm definitely going to get it!

I am seriously just going to send you one now. They're given out with one of the NC cards, so there's about a million out there, & it'd be theft for anyone to ask for a GBC for it tbh.

7 hours ago, kirschteins said:

100% I am just goint

I am seriously just going to send you one now. They're given out with one of the NC cards, so there's about a million out there, & it'd be theft for anyone to ask for a GBC for it tbh.

Oh wow, thank you very much! Well aren't you just an awesome person! and not just because you're giving me stuff, lol. :laugh:

But now you've used up a box D:

I've just realised, those 2:1 sales, so those will use 2 boxes up for the seller? Or can you cram stuff into those boxes :ph34r: I don't suppose you can. xD

I'm flip-flapping about this dress now. I thought it looked lovely, but now I see it in daylight it doesn't, the pink of the bodice is kind of gross, a bit boiled lobster? It looked pretty in artificial light. >_<

medium_preview.png

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I've just realised, those 2:1 sales, so those will use 2 boxes up for the seller? Or can you cram stuff into those boxes :ph34r: I don't suppose you can. xD

Usually 2:1 trades are only for GBC, and a GBC will give you at least two boxes every time, sometimes more, + some random buyable NC item. So it's not too bad!
(And don't worry about it; I got a box from Trudy the other day, so I still have three!)

Also re: Enchanted Tale Dress
Idk, can you put a jacket/vest/bulky scarf/large necklace over it that you'd like better? I think it's pretty! But it's your opinion that counts, and you don't want to go to the trouble of getting something for your pet that you don't really like!
That said, if you do decide to trade for it, all of the Enchanted Tales stuff (except the hand mirror, which is a bonus item) you should be able to find in 2:1 sales!
The Enchanted Tale Superpack is still buyable for 700NC.
I got one because I wanted the mirror, and trading for it at ~3-4 caps would have been a hassle. Plus, I think the other items are cute! (But since I don't have any very feminine pets, I don't really have plans to use most of it.) It also made more sense value-wise, since trading 3 gbcs for the mirror would have cost me 600NC and three boxes anyways.

6 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Oh wow, thank you very much! Well aren't you just an awesome person! and not just because you're giving me stuff, lol. :laugh:

I'm flip-flapping about this dress now. I thought it looked lovely, but now I see it in daylight it doesn't, the pink of the bodice is kind of gross, a bit boiled lobster? It looked pretty in artificial light. >_<

medium_preview.png

Yeah, that dress is a bit weird.  I have it, but I'm not sure it looks good on my pets, or what kind of theme I'd be going with that I'd want to use it...

1 hour ago, kirschteins said:

Also re: Enchanted Tale Dress
Idk, can you put a jacket/vest/bulky scarf/large necklace over it that you'd like better?

57 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Yeah, that dress is a bit weird.  I have it, but I'm not sure it looks good on my pets, or what kind of theme I'd be going with that I'd want to use it...

I'm thinking right now I'll just tuck it away on a maybe list. I do like the look of the skirt, but I think I would want to cover the top half up entirely. Right now, at the start of my NC adventure, I don't want to be messing around like that. Every NC item I buy had better work very hard for me, lol, not need another item to make it usable.

Right now I'm feeling the need to buy nothing so I don't do something I'll regret later, I'll just go back to trawling DTI to get a better idea of what's available.

OFC now I'm going to be stalking the news to see what new items have come out, lol. :laughingsmiley:

On 9/19/2017 at 0:44 PM, jellysundae said:

I LOVE it when you find an item that layers well! I wish there was a way to easily tell which clothes will do this (maybe there is, but I don't know it!!)

5 hours ago, charelan said:

I LOVE it when you find an item that layers well! I wish there was a way to easily tell which clothes will do this (maybe there is, but I don't know it!!)

Nah, sadly there's no easy way so you've not missed it, unless I've missed it too! lol. As far as I know there's just the long-winded method of clicking on the information i in the top right of the item's thumb on DTI and seeing what layers are listed as it conflicting with.

But that's not especially helpful a lot of the time. For example my little Tafe has the Reusable Altador Cup Grocery Bag equipped

medium_preview.png

and the info for that is -

Occupies: Left-hand Item sometimes, Right-hand Item sometimes

Restricts: None

Wat? :laughingsmiley: I mean, what's that supposed to mean?! I've never managed to equip another handheld with it and that's the only reason that I can think for it getting to choose which layer it's on! I'd LOVE for him to be able to hold some flowers at the same time, or that bunch of asparagus maybe (I need to investigate this fully, I think). But really, it does seem to be down to trial and error (and remembering!) finding out what can be layered with what.