Bad word on font, but not on petpage?

deboratibi

I was trying to make a new neoboard font for myself, and I wanted to use the following quote, which is from a song: "sing macabre songs and we'll dance til dawn on all hallow's eve". But if I try to save it, I get the following message:

Error: Please do not use profanity or other inappropriate words your NeoHTML or NeoSig. This is a childrens site and swearing is bad.

I carefully examined the words, but I couldn't figure out what's triggering the filter. So I decided to put it on a petpage to see what would happen, and to my surprise, I didn't get any error messages and they let me save it. So, can anyone figure out what's wrong with that sentence, and why it's inappropriate in one place but not another? I'm really confused.

I've been looking at your text for Several Minutes and I can't come up with a single thing! I can't find any fragments in or between words that would be considered 'bad'.
I guess you could try taking different words out & attempting to save?
My guess would be that 'macabre' or 'hallow's eve' might be disallowed for some odd reason, but who knows....

So, I copied and pasted your quote into my NeoSignature, and saved the change. It took it, without any error. I, then, tried adding it to my NeoHTML. It saved without any error, either. However, in the preview, it did have the quote, but it was missing both apostrophes.

Is it possible to post the font tags and coding you are using?

I used:

(open bracket) font (close bracket)neoHTML sing macabre songs and we'll dance til dawn on all hallow's eve (open bracket) /font (close bracket)

Other than that, not sure why you are getting the "profanity" error.

Aaah, it seems the apostrophes might be the culprit! I just did what @kirschteins suggested and saved one word at a time, and the error showed up when I got to "we'll".

Anyway, here's the exact font tag:

[center][fontf=verdanac=#666666s=1]neoHTML[/font][p][i][fontc=grayf=georgia]sing macabre songs and we'll dance til dawn on[/font][

][br][fontc=#6385adf=georgia][b]all hallow's eve[/b][/i][/font][/center]

(I just realised it should be hallows', not hallow's, lol)

Edit:

10 minutes ago, kirschteins said:

WAIT HANG ON
did you bold "all hallow's eve"?
because then it would be blocking (b)all, which would make at least some sense, though I thought only plural was blocked

If so, put your (b) in front of your (fontc=whatever), or do like (b)(i) or underline or something else?

Yes, I am, however I just managed to save the whole thing by removing both apostrophes... Now I need to figure out if there's another way to include them, because I don't want to leave them out :\

4 minutes ago, deboratibi said:

@Scoobert_Doo Yeah, that could be it!

Anyway, I'm glad that I just figured out that using this apostrophe ( ʼ ) instead of this one ( ' ) works! Yay!

Pardon me for being silly, but what did you do to the code to change the apostrophe you were using? Only asking for future reference or in case someone else searches the TDN forums with the same/similar issue.

7 minutes ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Pardon me for being silly, but what did you do to the code to change the apostrophe you were using? Only asking for future reference or in case someone else searches the TDN forums with the same/similar issue.

I visited this petpage (http://www.neopets.com/~blauenc), which contains a bunch of HTML symbols and I copied and pasted one of the apostrophes they had there!

And you're not being silly at all, you're great for being concerned about others who might look this up! :biggrin:

yesterday my lab pet changed into a Starry Peophin 

i wanted to post in on the petpage where i log my lab results

but it got blocked

the code for the Male Starry Peophin is http://pets.neopets.com/cp/52n7v4g4

they blocked the v4g part !!

i mean that's so stupid , they are blocking their own images with random coding names (also i noticed alot of the item names get blocked when you try to post them on the boards or petpages - like seaweed)

anyway i just copied the code for the Female Starry Peophin ... 

Yeah, I noticed recently that it cuts out apostrophes.  It was really annoying when I was trying to have a grammatically correct phrase.  Even if it lets you save the apostrophes, it removes them.  I'm not sure why they hate apostrophes.  I don't believe it is a special character (like escape) in HTML.... Usually that's backslash.

8 hours ago, deboratibi said:

@Scoobert_Doo Yeah, that could be it!

Anyway, I'm glad that I just figured out that using this apostrophe ( ʼ ) instead of this one ( ' ) works! Yay!

What other apostrophe is that that you got to work?  In case I ever again want to have a contraction or possessive in my font.

Ah, I see the answer...  I'm typing response as I read....

So many of the rules are from back in the wild 90s/early 2000s.  I think the v4g maybe got blocked because someone could use a 4 to look like an a?

Maybe when they completely redo the site to make it HTML and javascript, they can update the filter technology to be a little more AI, a little less 8yr old at the turn of the century?

Apostrophes seem to be a problem for code on the whole.

I was going to suggest they might be the cause of Deb's issue myself because I've had them break stuff elsewhere in the past. So I feel vindicated now, lol.

Maybe this is computers aping RL, seeing as so many people have no idea how to use apostrophes? Including coders it would seem... :laugh:

1 hour ago, balloongal247 said:

Maybe when they completely redo the site to make it HTML and javascript, they can update the filter technology to be a little more AI, a little less 8yr old at the turn of the century?

xDDD!!

5 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

So many of the rules are from back in the wild 90s/early 2000s.  I think the v4g maybe got blocked because someone could use a 4 to look like an a?

That's exactly what I thought!

5 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

ROFL! That would be a dream... so no, not likely to happen lol.gif cry.gif