The logistics of getting the soup faerie avatar when you're not poor.

jellysundae

The Faerie Festival seems to have plonked the soup faerie avatar right at the front of my consciousness, so I'm trying to work out a way to get it that won't kill my brain!

I got my hopes up (like the rest of us did I expect) thinking we might get it during the festival simply by feeding our pets, but nope, she still needed us to be Neopian poor.

Then @Err said they'd got it by putting their NP into trades so I rushed to do that, until brain caught up...wait a minute, there's a reason Err said trades, plural...I'd have to set up 16 separate trades to be able to do this (another 1st world problem, right? :laugh: Oh woe is me, I have all this money and it's such a problem to deal with!!) I realised this wasn't a sensible option for me because the more I have to do, the more the chance of me messing stuff up BIG TIME increases, so let's not go there with all my NP!

So my thoughts turn to the auction house...

Can I do it that way? I have close to zero experience of the AH, I sold one thing, that's it, so utter novice here *gulps*

But could I start a Neofriends only auction with my side account, using a bit of junk, with a starting bid of the millions I'd need to hide, then once I'd bid on it leave the NP sat there? It would be in limbo then, wouldn't it, and no longer count towards my NP total? This seems like it would work, but is it even a legit thing to do?

The difference with auctions and trades there, is that you can't cancel an auction or bid, like you can with trades.  Your np would all go to your side account, and they you'd have to do another auction to move it all back.

I don't see why it wouldn't be legit.

except, I do think there's a thing preventing you from doing junk on the auction house.  It has to be worth at least a few k....

Ah, ok. Well the item wouldn't be an issue, I'd send something over with a bit more value. But you think this is a workable way of doing it?

I suppose my main stumbling block now is because the longest an auction can be is 2 days I am pretty unsure how likely I am to do this, I'm not going to be good at having to repeat the whole process every third day if it can takes ages to get the avatar. But I certainly like the IDEA of doing it. >_<

Again, because you'd have to return the np, it won't come back to you from limbo, I'd do a 30min or 1hr auction (depending on how fast you can switch accounts and not get distracted), get the np stowed safely in your side account, and then when you get the avatar you can set up a 30min or 1hr auction on your main, bid from your side, and send it all back.  You just won't have np on hand during this time.

Before you do this, double check that both accounts are on the same email so that it's very clear that they are both yours, and it's not someone stealing your stuff, so you don't get frozen for your protection.  I'm not sure what else you could do to notify TNT that you are doing this to get the soup faerie avatar.

This is exactly what i did, and it worked out totally fine. I set up a 1-hr junk auction on my side, bid with my main, fed my pets and got the avatar. Then waited for the auction to process, set up a 1-hr auction with the same item on my main, and bid from my side to transfer it all back. 

You don't even really need to worry about it being a NF-only auction, or having a high minimum bid/increase amount because if it's a junk auction priced in the millions, no one else is going to bid on it. If they do, they're basically just paying you free neopoints in exchange for an omelette (or something similar) so...that would be silly. 

My biggest concern when doing this was that I wouldn't get the av on my first try, and would have to live as a poor Neopian for several days or even weeks (yikes!!!). Thankfully that didn't happen--I fed 2 of my 4 pets and got the avatar with no problem. Good luck!

Edit: balloongal is right though, you can't put SUPER junky things in the auction house. I don't remember exactly what I used, maybe a petpet that I got from dailies? Something that when you click on it in your inventory, has an "Est. Value" of at least a couple thousand nps. 

Ok!

So thanks to you guys I'm armed with the info that I need, thank you both! Just requires the brain motivation to actually do this now...

:ph34r:

I wonder how long it's going to take me...

As an aside, I'm pretty pleased that I managed to work out a logical way of doing it, a bona fide method that others have used before. I can still do stuff like this! It just takes oh-so-much more braining than it ever did before. >_<

Oh wait! Something else I was concerned about...my switching whatever item about creating a falsely inflated price for it. :^/ I REALLY don't want to do that!

*thinks*

I can use a red codestone that has that kind of retail value...

*checks prices*

Yeah, a Zed codestone looks like a good option, phew!

Oh, nope, those have an estimated value of zero...LOL. This is being a pain. :laughingsmiley:

49 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

How would it create a falsely inflated price if there are plenty of other options at the real price, and you are the only one "buying" it?  It's much like overpricing something in a shop for donations.

Well, I'll admit that I'm fully aware that I'm totally over-thinking things by having this particular worry, lol :blush02: You're so right that if I use something that's always being sold then it won't make any difference, I should have realised that sooner or later, but it might not have been until a LOT later, so thanks for pointing it out now! :D

If you need some of the expensive item avatars that TDN lends, like BGC or MSPP, you could apply to borrow those with full collat, or almost (whatever you have) and then get soup faerie while they have all your NP as collat.

19 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

If you need some of the expensive item avatars that TDN lends, like BGC or MSPP, you could apply to borrow those with full collat, or almost (whatever you have) and then get soup faerie while they have all your NP as collat.

Yeah I certainly could do that! It might be a more sensible option to be honest considering what I've just done, lol.

Gifted my side account with a zed codestone. Hopped over there and set up a 1 hour auction. But the amount...I've got 33.8 mill to send across, I set up a auction asking for 35 mill :who-let-rip: What the @#$% did I do that for?! I've got 8k on-hand which I knew I needed to account for in the auction amount, but seriously brain, 35 mill? Stop trolling me. :axehead:

But I listened to you and only set it up for an hour, not 2 days, so there's that at least! lol :rolleyes:

And I'm stubbornly gonna try again when the auction time runs out, because messing up once just isn't enough for me! :lmaosmiley:

21 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Also make sure you are taking into account the increment amount, as the initial bid is not the starting amount it's the starting amount + increment.

I think I dealt with that ok at least, I left it at 1 NP minimum, lol.

21 minutes ago, nousha said:

You don't have to wait for the auction to run up, you just can set up a second one with the appropriate amount :)

Oh man, there's me being dense again! lol.

I'm gonna give it another go once I'm done eating. :ph34r:

@balloongal247  @nousha @kayahtik Thank you very VERY much for your help, guys!! :heart:@charelan got it on just the 2nd feed! :D

2.png soupbowl.gif
misterFloo says 'Ewwww... asparagus and chutney soup isn't that nice...'

Something Has Happened!
soup_faerie_kind.gif You are now eligible to use 'Soup Faerie' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

Wow, this topic was certainly..............CONFUSING.............WOW!  Congrats on the avatar!  I know when I did mine I only had a few million to move so I did a couple of trades with my side account.  33 million is a different story.  I am glad I did mine a long time ago.  LOL

9 hours ago, etrnldarkness said:

I came in too late today to offer some opinions but I want to say congratulations! This is one of my favorite avatars on neo and usually my main unless I am feeling seasonal. xD

Glad you got it all sorted!

Me too! lol, I'm mainly glad I managed it in the end without doing anything else ridiculous. :laugh:

5 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

Wow, this topic was certainly..............CONFUSING.............WOW!  Congrats on the avatar!  I know when I did mine I only had a few million to move so I did a couple of trades with my side account.  33 million is a different story.  I am glad I did mine a long time ago.  LOL

I managed to confuse you? I don't know what to say to that, lol. Seeing as it's usually the other way around. lol.gif