The wold is scary lately

burntpastryies

By now I'm sure most of you have heard about the Vegas shooting. That in itself is scary enough. Then I wake up this morning to see that a school district about an hour away from me, completely shut everything down. There's someone that is sending threatening messages to parents of all ages. Including saying that they are going to be dead soon.

Vegas scared me, but this hits even closer to home. I feel like they made the right choice but, just scary to think about. Especially when I want to have kids of my own someday. 

I don't think banning guns will help. People are still going to find a way to get them regardless if they are legal or not.

What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately there are always sickos who will exploit a tragedy, like Las Vegas, to scare people.  Or, it could be some kiddos who didn't want to go to school.  Either way, what a terrible thing to use a horrific thing that is going on, to try to scare people.

2 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

Unfortunately there are always sickos who will exploit a tragedy, like Las Vegas, to scare people.  Or, it could be some kiddos who didn't want to go to school.  Either way, what a terrible thing to use a horrific thing that is going on, to try to scare people.

From what I've seen, this person has stated that they want to set a new record (as in higher than Vegas.), and they are wanting to target many other schools as well. They must have hacked into the school system and are texting parents and referring to their children by name. I just hope that they are empty threats but, you just never know anymore. :(

7 hours ago, burntpastryies said:

I don't think banning guns will help. People are still going to find a way to get them regardless if they are legal or not.

What are your thoughts?

As someone in a country that has banned the possession and sale of guns, I think it does help. Of course there will always be some people who get access to illegal guns, but I think it really does reduce gun related violence overall. It also takes away the ability for someone to be impulsive and hurt someone because they have easy access to an exceedingly lethal weapon. It's also easy for people to become desensitised to things like guns when they see them around them so much. I personally find the idea of guns terrifying - to have so much power without having to do anything but pull a trigger. 

These incidents are always very sad, and frustrating, I don't get people who hurt other living things :unsure: :thumbsdown:

10 hours ago, ranga_muffin said:

As someone in a country that has banned the possession and sale of guns, I think it does help. Of course there will always be some people who get access to illegal guns, but I think it really does reduce gun related violence overall. It also takes away the ability for someone to be impulsive and hurt someone because they have easy access to an exceedingly lethal weapon. It's also easy for people to become desensitised to things like guns when they see them around them so much. I personally find the idea of guns terrifying - to have so much power without having to do anything but pull a trigger. 

These incidents are always very sad, and frustrating, I don't get people who hurt other living things :unsure: :thumbsdown:

I also think the US system of gun ownership is no good.. from what I understand it is possible to obtain guns there with no registration or background check whatsoever.

I'm not sure what the best way is. In Canada we are allowed guns but they must be registered, and they don't just hand out Possession/Acquisition Licenses willy-nilly. Concealed carry is NOT legal anywhere. I'm not a hunter, but I support people's right to do so (in season and following the rules, of course), and I also support people's ability to shoot at a range for sport. These are the only places (apart from one's home) where you can have a gun, and it is only legal to transport them in between these places. During transport they must have accompanying paperwork, be unloaded, and are supposed to be locked in a case (sometimes that last bit is waived for rifles in hunting season, but that's a case-by-case thing).

I'm sure our system has it's problems too, but maybe the US should look at some other models around the world. This type of violence does seem to be a more common occurrence in the US than elsewhere.

*warning, sarcasm ahead*

Yes, well it is our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to stockpile guns so that we can VIOLENTLY OVERTHROW the government if they don't do what we want!

*unsarcasm*

Yes, mass shootings and gun deaths in general are way more common in the US than any other developed country, and even many war torn 3rd world countries, because guns are way more common and easier to get.  Yes, it's quite easy to get guns with little to no information given, the specifics varies from state to state. Some NRA people have used this as an excuse when shootings happen in areas that do have common sense gun laws.  But when you can drive an hour to circumvent them, it's not very useful.  And, it's common for some people to buy guns legally, even with background checks, and give them to people who plan to use them illegally and can't buy them themselves.  And that's not even illegal because private sales/gifts of guns is one of the loopholes where there is absolutely no regulation.

In many parts of the country (including where I live), it's common to give guns to children as Christmas presents.  

Yes, everywhere else in the world has proven that better regulation of guns can and does minimize people using guns to shoot other people.  In part because as mentioned above, if you don't have a gun, it's harder to just decide to shoot someone (or yourself, or do so accidentally).  It takes a lot more premeditation to go find a gun on the black market when you want to shoot someone than to just unlock a safe (if they even keep it in a safe, most don't).  I also think that the US having comprehensive gun control reform would drastically reduce the number and quality of guns available on the black market worldwide.  Because it's so easy to buy guns here, a lot of people get guns here and then export them to the black market wherever there is gun control.

Also, if we started actually caring about gun safety, we could put pressure on gun manufacturers to try to do things to make it harder to sell guns to others or have your gun turned against you, or a curious child decide to fire it.. Like some kind of fingerprint activated trigger mechanism.