Scamanders on Oct. 12

suzanoberle

In a couple days, the Money tree will have scamanders appearing--it's a once a year event.  The "Scamander-In-Chief" donates them throughout the day each October 12.

Every year I try catching them but they always wriggle away.  Does anyone know any tricks for hanging on to one?

xeGVGqU.png

Huh, I've been on Neo for years and I think I've never heard about this. Interesting! :blink:

So, I did some research (instead of finishing my college assignment) and apparently there's not much you can do. No tricks or tips whatsoever. It is possible to catch them, but it's extremely rare. Found some helpful editorial answers that confirm this:

Sometimes a mysterious entity known as the "Scamander-in-chief" will donate Scamanders to The Money Tree. Is catching a Scamander at all possible (since every attempt seems to end in the Scamander wriggling out of reach and running away), or is this Scamander-in-chief fellow running a clever scam? Please remove my username. ~username removed

It's quite possible -- just very, very difficult. Scamanders are squirmy little things, and catching one is no small feat!

Hi TNT!!! *waves like a loony* Anyway, I've been wondering... the other day I went to visit the Money Tree and, man, was I surprised! There were hundreds of Scamanders there! Every time they would show up I would frantically click on one to see if I could grab it, but every time I got one a message would pop up that said something to the effect of: "You grab one of the Scamanders but it wriggles out of your hand, narrowly escaping into a hole in the ground!" My question is, is it actually possible to get a Scamander at the Money Tree, or are they just there? Is it possible that the "scam" in the first part of their name has something to do with it? XD Thanx! ~fairyflite95

Nope, it is quite possible to get a Scamander from the Money Tree. It's just extremely rare that someone gets a good enough grip on one to stop it from escaping!

So yeah, you just have to get really lucky.

I wonder how the scamanders will fair this year, up against the people with super-fast connections on high-powered devices...I won't stand a chance on my basic broadband package with my nine year old laptop, but yeah, considering the general advances in technology, I'd think more people had a chance of catching one of the wriggly critters now.

Good luck to everyone! :D

I have an old laptop too (maybe 8 years?) so you're not alone, JS. And I think my AV slows me down too. :shiftyeyes_anim: :headset:

I remember this over the years. If you don't catch one, it shows up as the usual sad Acara, like when you miss any other item you grab for. I was able to "catch" some each year. But they always slither away. What I'm not sure about is when you do catch one that slithers away, whether it counts against your Money Tree total or not. I do remember seeing that graphic shown in the first post each time after I thought I'd got one. For those who get one to stay in their inventory, I'm curious as to how that happens for some and not for others. It would be interesting to read what someone that lucky can describe. Hopefully one of us will be that fortunate and get a screen grab of it as an example. The scamander, in case you were wondering, is worth over a million. The database lists several colors, but I believe the ones we're talking about are all just yellow.

https://items.jellyneo.net/item/20605/

According to the item link @lakecat shared, they are a petpet, yes.  So if you actually catch one, you'll get that petpet, worth about a mil, at least that's the asking price.  That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is selling for.

Now all this talk of Scamanders is making me want to watch Fantastic Beasts again.

2 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

According to the item link @lakecat shared, they are a petpet, yes.  So if you actually catch one, you'll get that petpet, worth about a mil, at least that's the asking price.  That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is selling for.

I see... I wasn't really interested in them before, but now I wanna try and get one. Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

worth about a mil, at least that's the asking price.  That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is selling for.

This is SUCH a relevant point!

When I look up prices on the TP history it's what I think every time when I see what people are asking. xD

4 hours ago, suzanoberle said:

I believe that trying for a scamander DOES count against your daily total on the money tree if you are able to grab him, even if he wriggles away.

You're probably right Suzan. I just saw several of them and grabbed at them. Sometimes I saw the usual sad Acara, and sometimes the "wriggles away" pic. If I have time today I'll try grabbing non-Scamander items to see if my count can still go up to ten. It's worth wasting the 10 chances to try to get one considering how valuable one is compared to the usual money tree junk. They seem to come in bunches, then go away and come back. So keep trying. Like I said in my earlier post, if someone does manage to keep one, make a screen cap of what that looks like and the message they show. 

It must be easier in the early morning. I didn't get any later, during the evening, not even the "wriggles away" message. I did get a map piece, so it wasn't a total loss. It also showed me that I hadn't used up all of my picks by then. I wish there was clarity on this though. I keep a list of daily picks but it won't help if I don't know if those count. 

I never got to see one :sad:

I could definitely tell more people were visiting the money tree though, during my evening it was like the old days on my desk top, back in Neo's prime, when I NEVER managed to get a single thing from the money tree. :laugh: