Happy Jetsam Day!

hrtbrk

16 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

Now they are going with Phantom of the Opera?

The Phantom has a mask that covers half of his face- the deformed part. The costume reminds me of Mozart's Don Giovanni (in the Amadeus movie):

Amadeusmov.jpg

The polkadot is a bit too dull for me. I want the dots to be bright and colourful! Candy is also a bit generic- it looks like pink with texture. It does not remind me of a specific candy. They could have made gummy sharks instead (or are these things dolpins?)

gummy-sharks-blue-1lb-2.gif

2 hours ago, Josi said:

Candy is also a bit generic- it looks like pink with texture. It does not remind me of a specific candy. They could have made gummy sharks instead (or are these things dolpins?)

gummy-sharks-blue-1lb-2.gif

I've had sour pink gummy sharks before, so maybe that's what they aimed for? :\ Blue definitely would have looked better though. 

As far as Polka Dot pets go, I think the Jetsam is probably one of the better ones I've seen (although to be fair, that's not saying much considering the other contenders...) I like the contrast with the solid fins and the yellow eyes.

The same kind of goes for the candy one. It's nice looking, but I don't know that it screams "candy". That's been a pretty consistent problem with most of the candy colors though :tired: 

The clothes are nice, but I'm a little confused why it's wearing a mask and also holding a masquerade mask? Obviously we need that double baroque/classical era anonymity :laugh:

I think the Candy Jetsam is another missed opportunity. It looks like he/she fell asleep on the beach while forgetting to wear sunscreen. It doesn't scream or even say "candy", well, at least, not to me, anyway. Shrimp (Prawn) flavored Jetsam? I do like the outfit. Some of the gold trim on the hat would have been nice, though, or maybe some color in the center, to make it look more 2D, instead of flat.

7 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

It looks like he/she fell asleep on the beach while forgetting to wear sunscreen

HAHAHA, it so does!!

It does almost look like a number of candy options, doesn't it, but never quite makes it to any of them, so ends up looking more like shiny plastic than anything else.

On 23.10.2017 at 5:35 PM, Panthersclaw said:

I think that the candy is supposed to be bubble gum or taffy

Related image

oh, the reference seems obvious, and actually now you made me want these :D:D
Honestly, I admire the work by the "new neopets colours" artist, these are totally awesome recently, I am keen of everything this person(s) did as far as now. All the candies, actually, I find pretty and cute - they are sweet, beautiful and really customisable. Imagine any of these sweets in the candy/choco customisation theme... it's sooo delicious even when thinking of it :D just like choco colour. I love how the artist achieves different textures, colour blendings... you can see what is the structure of the mane/skin of the pet, it's really well done job. 
As far as here - the inspiration is pretty visible, although I believe there are so many different candies and gummies around the world, it is hard to see a reference in each of these. I disagree that the blue gummy shark would be better. 1 It's the US thing, most probably. 2 there are other colours of gummie sharks (We have it double-coloured in Poland, e.g. yellow-orange, green-blue, no half colour half white) it's just a matter of reference. 3 It is awesome just as it is and it doesnt have to be derived from any existing candy ^.^ 

Related image

On 10/24/2017 at 3:08 PM, jagocianka said:

oh, the reference seems obvious, and actually now you made me want these :D:D

Now when you said you want "these" are you referring to the gumballs I pictured above or the candy jetsam?

Speaking of Jetsam have you ever noticed that they share a name sequence with Flotsams? Both of their names refer to debris in the ocean

18 hours ago, Panthersclaw said:

Now when you said you want "these" are you referring to the gumballs I pictured above or the candy jetsam?

Speaking of Jetsam have you ever noticed that they share a name sequence with Flotsams? Both of their names refer to debris in the ocean

I meant the gumballs, although the Jetsam is so awesome I would need to consider having it ;p
I'd be so amazing to have an Uni of such colour:blush:

yeah, I noticed that long ago (if you ask me), and both are the sea/ocean creatures :) Why you mean it refers to debris? like this ending -sam, -tsam? Can you explain? :) it's interesting

@jagocianka, the words jetsam and flotsam are used to refer to stuff floating in the ocean.  (Or I guess maybe Jetsam is used for stuff sinking in the ocean...)

Definition of jetsam

1:the part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is cast overboard to lighten the load in time of distress and that sinks or is washed ashore
2:flotsam 2

Definition of flotsam

1:floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo; broadly :floating debris 
  • flotsam washed up by the tide
2a :a floating population (as of emigrants or castaways) 
  • human flotsam
b :miscellaneous or unimportant material 
  • a notebook filled with flotsam and jetsam
c :debris, remains
  • the village … built on the flotsam of war
  •  —Stan Sesser

On 10/28/2017 at 12:09 PM, jagocianka said:

I meant the gumballs, although the Jetsam is so awesome I would need to consider having it ;p
I'd be so amazing to have an Uni of such colour:blush:

yeah, I noticed that long ago (if you ask me), and both are the sea/ocean creatures :) Why you mean it refers to debris? like this ending -sam, -tsam? Can you explain? :) it's interesting

Jetsam refers to debris that was purposely thrown overboard, while flotsam refers to debris from a shipwreck

• 3 weeks later...

oh, that's interesting :D thank you for sharing this, one can learn something new every day in most unexpected places :) that is pretty amazing, how the old TNT played on words many Times, it's just super fun to get to know these... similarly to name of a water-based petpet, Ghoti :)