Should I keep training my pet?

Shei

Hey guys! I need a little help.

I'm currently fighting the Koi Warrior as my daily BD and getting 2-6 codestones which I usually use for my pet's training but currently I'm running low on money... so, my questions are:
Should I continue training my pet? Does it worth it? I get better rewards if I fight stronger opponents?

bdnp.PNG

Greetings Shei, and welcome to the forums!

Well, training is definitely worth it. Unfortunately with your current level you can't train at the Krawk Island Academy any longer. So Codestones are probably your best bet. I'm going to link you to a fast training article. It covers some basics in training, where to go, and some items that can help increase stats.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/fast-battle-training/
However, I didn't see several other methods for training. Granted I skimmed because I'm really tired. But I'll list some other ways to train as well. First, if you don't know the boosts levels for Strength and Defence, here is the article with that list.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/strength-defense-boosts/
Boosts are multipliers that combine your boost with the icons of your weapons to do damage. So it's Icons multiplied by Boost = maximum damage. Of course the maximum damage is only IF you deliver it without the opponent defending in some way. A Faerie Ability, such as Lens Flare would stop them from defending that turn, like a Freezing Weapon would freeze them the following turn.

Anyway, training IS worth it. I trained my peophin to maximum(and beyond), but I only use what would probably be considered an intermediate battle set. My Stone Foam Finger is my strongest Constant (multiple use weapon with a constant attack strength). It boasts 15 icons total. With the Maximum Strength boost, which you hit for Strength and Defence at 750 stat points. The last boost multiplier is 16. So, for the Stone Foam Finger, 15 icons, multiplied by 16 boost, = 240 max damage. Not too shabby considering it is more of an intermediate weapon. If I combine the Stone Foam Finger, with the variable attack of the Ghostkerbomb, which has a variable icon count, it can provide 21-30 icons. Anyway, combined with the final boost of 16, that combo can take out an Obelisk Faction Leader in one round. Though I recommend using Lens Flare as a faerie ability that turn to make SURE that the opponent can't block or heal. ;)
So let's see, your pet's strength is at 40, the next boost for it would be 55. You current boost multiplier is 1.5. Let's pretend, that you had a Stone Foam Finger with 15 icons. Let's see... 15 icons, by a boost of 1.5 = 22.5 damage.

Some people prefer to get really strong weapons early on. Many were once known as Noobinators, people with weak pets but really expensive weapons, who would challenge new players in Neopets to battle, and then defeat them with their force. I don't know if anyone still does that or not. Never cared much for them, preying on New players doesn't seem fair, or right for that matter. But anyway, some believe stronger weapons are the key. But, as you can see from my example of the Stone Foam Finger, powerful weapons CAN help, but you can get more out of Training and using weaker weapons too.

If you'd like I can look over your battle set if you'll post what you bring into battle with you. If you MAKE a ton of Neopoints, I'd still recommend training over powerful weapons. Since you mentioned running low on Neopoints, I think the best bet for you would be to build your set around the opponent you wish to defeat.

Here is a link to the Koi Warrior battle profile. Here you can see his stats(that we can see), and his equipment.
http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/viewprofile/152/

Clicking on the icons of each piece of equipment will take you to the page for that weapon or armor.
I'd recommend the Leaf Shield, from Illusen's quest for one of your pieces of equipment.
http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/oneplayer/viewprofile/152/
It's currently running at a little over 22,000 neopoints on the Shop Wiz. If you're interested I'm pretty sure I have a spare in my SDB I could sell or trade with you. But we'll see what else you might need for your set if you wish to post your current battle set.

As for Training, there are 2 methods that I thought were covered, unless I was looking in the wrong place. 1st, Kitchen Quests. This can be done on Mystery Island, or by following this link. http://www.neopets.com/island/kitchen.phtml

The Flotsam Chef will ask for several items. Return with them in the time allotted and you may be rewarded with a random 1 stat point increase. It can be any stat other than intelligence. And you can only do 10 on-site-quests per day. At midnight NST the counter resets. I recommend doing only quests that total about 5000 neopoints or less. You might also get a (usually worthless) item, or a small amount of Neopoints, under 1,000. So,shop wiz each item and open the shops in new tabs. There are no penalties for failing the Kitchen Quests. Just eats up time because the time given to complete them can be around 2 hours.

The other way to train is if you buy NeoCash(NC) Which is purchased with REAL money. There are Faerie Quest Fortune Cookies in the NC Mall. They cost 100NC, about $1 if you look at the exchange rate. Open the cookie and go to the Faerie Quests area in Faerie City. For 9 days you will be able to get ONE random Faerie Quest by clicking to accept your quest for that day. You must complete or abandon a quest in order to accept a new quest and it's only one per day. If you miss a day of accepting it, then you've lost that day's quest completely. Pretty much ANY faerie will ask you for help, except the Tooth Faerie. These are the SAME quests you can randomly get by clicking through the Neopets site. You can't use the Shop Wiz  for 'em, but there is a neoboard for those seeking help finding a quest item.

I hope this info helps. If you've got any further questions, feel free to ask.
Happy battling!

Hello Aquamentis! First of all I'd like to thank you for the time you put on trying to help me! :D

About the methods of training: I actually DO the kitchen quests every day since about 1 week and I kinda have fun doing them except that it eats my neopoints. I can't afford buying NC so the Faerie Quests are not an option.

I knew from the begin that training requires a huge amount of NP that's why I was thinking of stopping or at least pause the training for awhile. I'm afraid that I'll spend much more NP than I gain from BD. This is why I asked if it worth it.

This is my current Equipment :

I bought the Sword and the Demise 2-3 years ago and then leaved Neopets. I recently returned so I have no idea if they are very good but they do help me win against the Koi warrior or other opponents with a similar stats.

I bought the Greatest scroll very recently after someone's recommandation.

Also I am interested in the Leaf Shield! How many NP would you like for it?

737733.PNG

You have given Scroll of Ultranova to User 'sparklerose23'. Click the button below to continue.

^^An almost 10 icon constant for you.  

You have lens flare right?  That's the lvl 50 ability.  You need to have two good constants for that, since you don't need to defend.  

Koi warrior is the best for codestones, and thus the most profitable if you don't have premium.  If you want to save np, you could just wait until they give you the codestones you need for training.  Also remember that you can train to twice your level.  So you should focus on bringing your strength up, and then your defence.

For the rest of the year, training and upgrading weapons will be more expensive than normal, since a war will start in a couple of weeks.  Brown codestones haven't gone up tooo much...  But good weapons have.  The Yooyu Knuckle Dusters that I use, have gone from about 60k to 85k.. Not too bad. That's a 14 icon. https://items.thedailyneopets.com/items/yooyu-knuckle-duster

If you want that, here's the cheapest. 

Searching for 'yooyu knuckle duster', matching 'Yooyu Knuckle Duster'...
Owner Stock Price
rawbeee 20 85,000 NP

Wow, thanks you very very much for the gift! I truly appreciate it!:biggrin:

Yes I do have that skill! I use it everytime.

Thanks you for your advice, I will follow it for sure! Strength was always my main focus but at a point it didn't let me train for it anymore, It said I need to level up my pet first and since I was a noob I kept leveling up my pet lol.

You're welcome.  I updated my post above with more info.  If you can find upgrades now that haven't inflated too much, I'd recommend getting them.  When the war actually starts they'll inflate more.  And, the further you get in the plot the more prize points you'll get, so the better prizes.  There will likely be an avatar, I don't know if there will be another site theme beyond the current purple one...

I'm starting to run out of nps too. Trouble is, my main pet is a Lab Zapped one so his stats are all over the place and the only one I can train is level, but is it worth seven codestones a time? Stats are

Lvl : 157
Str : 554
Def : 323
Mov : 273
Hp : 963 / 953

Hi @Shei and @jaydeed

Training (to a point) is definitely worth it.I'm probably going too far as I have high hopes for a battle centered event in the future. Once you can one-shot Koi warrior, it may not be that beneficial to train any further unless it's just what you want to do.

One particular thing to note is that the mystery island training school does get rather expensive as you start paying 6,7,8 codestones and time consuming with a whole 24 hours between training. One guide I read however long ago had a side note I followed and particularly liked. At the expensive point, just train level and get it to 250 so you can use the Secret Ninja Training School instead, Once there, you can train the stats up to your level and continue training from there (if you decide to).

That being said, it's a game - do what you want and have fun doing it.

1 hour ago, jaydeed said:

I'm starting to run out of nps too. Trouble is, my main pet is a Lab Zapped one so his stats are all over the place and the only one I can train is level, but is it worth seven codestones a time? Stats are

Lvl : 157
Str : 554
Def : 323
Mov : 273
Hp : 963 / 953

I'd work toward training your level to 200, so that you can get the faerie ability Warlock's Rage.  That's a second Lens Flare.  You can do it as you get codestones from the dome though, as you already have a solid pet. At the same attack tier as you, with two YKDs, I can deal 336 damage each round, with my opponent frozen.

Then, if you have decent weapons, like the knuckle dusters mentioned above, you can defeat any of the skirmish opponents on hard without taking any damage.  That likely means you'll be able to defeat any of the war opponents other than the final group boss, and you'll be able to deal them pretty good damage.

You probably aren't going to get to level 200 before this war is over, so you are in no hurry to train.  Just get good weapons, and maybe a decent shield for the final rounds.

Given that your HP is so high, you would have to go very high to train defence at all.  I wouldn't bother training past 200, because I wouldn't bother training to 477+

That also means that you don't have to worry too much about taking a little damage from the big opponents, so again, take your time, maybe sell codestones until post war deflation, and then eventually train to 200.

Thank you for the tips! I am pretty clueless about battling but I have decent weapons from plot prizes and Velm's Potion heals me a lot since my HPs are high so I should be set. I have 2 Tyrannian Sceptres, a Water Powered Pistol, Yooyu Knuckle Duster  and a Revenge Shield.

I was also going to recommend the Scroll of Ultranova.  It is a great weapon and is inexpensive.  To go along with it, I use Ultranova.  It deals out as much damage as the scroll, but also heals random amount of hps, and does not use up a healer spot in your battleset. The problem with it, it is considered a single use weapon, but there are times when you can get 2, 3, or even more uses out of it.  I never enter a battle without one though, because its healing ability could be the difference between winning or losing a battle.  The muffins, such as, stone muffin, smelly dung muffin, brain muffin, etc. are also good.  Although they are one use items, they dole out a lot of damage and are inexpensive.  As far as nps go, I don't know what you are doing to earn them, but I assume you are doing Trudy's surprise on a daily basis, playing fashion fever for an easy 900 nps per day, playing solitaire and pyramids which are both easy and usually give a profit more so than a loss (at least for me).  Doing all of your daily battles is a daily 1500 nps.  Good luck.

8 hours ago, Rometus said:

If you can, fighting the Giant Spectral Mutant Walien is more profitable than the koi warrior!  It has less unique items so you'll get more codestones generally.

I'm not so sure about that. Back in 2013 I've tested it and if it hasn't changed since then the amount of codestones is the same for both Koi and Walein.  This is from the post I made after testing it:

Next up is the test of who gives the most codestones. So far I've only been testing Koi and Walein. But the result was pretty surprising.

With 15 days of fighting each I had:

Walein:

Total regulars+reds: 70 codestones

Koi:

Total regulars+reds: 70 codestones

(Yes, really. I planned on battling each for 15 days, so a month in total. The outcome is just coincidence.)

Now the difference:

Walein: gave me 58 regulars and 12 red ones.

and Koi gave me 48 regulars and 22 red ones.

This is a significant difference in my opinion. 10 codestones in 15 days. So Koi gives out more reds but the amount of codestones is the same.

But again, these tests were done in 2013 and I don't know if it has been changed or not since then. I myself fight Koi because I need red codestones for my training and that still goes very well, with codestone drops. I just don't really feel like retesting it at the moment.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:47 AM, Shei said:

Hello Aquamentis! First of all I'd like to thank you for the time you put on trying to help me! :D

About the methods of training: I actually DO the kitchen quests every day since about 1 week and I kinda have fun doing them except that it eats my neopoints. I can't afford buying NC so the Faerie Quests are not an option.

I knew from the begin that training requires a huge amount of NP that's why I was thinking of stopping or at least pause the training for awhile. I'm afraid that I'll spend much more NP than I gain from BD. This is why I asked if it worth it.

This is my current Equipment :

I bought the Sword and the Demise 2-3 years ago and then leaved Neopets. I recently returned so I have no idea if they are very good but they do help me win against the Koi warrior or other opponents with a similar stats.

I bought the Greatest scroll very recently after someone's recommandation.

Also I am interested in the Leaf Shield! How many NP would you like for it?

737733.PNG

Hey Shei! Wow! You've got a lot of useful replies in a pretty short time. You MIGHT find this article helpful as well, Basic Battledome Sets.
http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/basic-battledome-weapon-sets/
It gives some good guidelines on weapons and shields in different tiers of expense and usefulness. Your Oversized Maractite Sword is still in that article, and the Parasol, because it can block ALL light icons and some extra icons for so cheaply, it's definitely a keeper. Though after looking at Koi Warrior's battle set, it won't help much against him, though some, not the Light icons, but the other icons it can block some of.

Ah! I'm glad you know Kitchen Quests already! Not many people (over the years) I've told about them knew about them. ;)

On the Leaf Shield, sure! I'll NM you.

Regarding Training, it does get expensive in NP. However, you COULD, instead of saving your RED Codestones you win in battle, you could sell the Red ones and use that NP to buy the regular codestones. I don't fully recommend it because the Red Stones will be useful at level 250 for the final training school, and they cost a lot more on average. However, with your present level and stats, it will probably be quite a while before you can train with Red codestones.

Some people prefer to train level, get to 250 and then "catch up" their stats using the 1 red stone course. 1 red stone will cost you between 8k to around 40k. You can cancel a course, but you also have to waste time then too, waiting for the time to end.

However, I would hold off on that until you get to the 7 or 8 codestone training level. Why? Because the more people who need Red Codestones, the higher the price, as the Demand grows the supply will most likely dwindle, especially with hints of a battle plot from TNT. I got to the Red Stone range during the Obelisk War a couple of years ago. I was about more than halfway through the 8 regular codestone course and the time left for the war was shrinking fast. So I decided to train level for about the 8 levels or so I needed to get to level 250.

Basically, it's up to you and what works for you. I'm just not a fan of this training method for the reason I've written.

If you've got any further questions, feel free to ask, as you've probably noticed, there are quite a number of helpful people around to help answer your questions. lol

I'll NM re: the Leaf Shield in just a minute.

21 hours ago, Duma said:

But again, these tests were done in 2013 and I don't know if it has been changed or not since then. I myself fight Koi because I need red codestones for my training and that still goes very well, with codestone drops. I just don't really feel like retesting it at the moment.

You could very well be right, but I also think it's possible a month may be long enough to get completely conclusive data about that? It's hard to know, since it's all so random!

I get tons of codestones from the walien but I do tend to get more tan than red, so maybe you're onto something with that as well!

3 hours ago, Rometus said:

You could very well be right, but I also think it's possible a month may be long enough to get completely conclusive data about that? It's hard to know, since it's all so random!

I get tons of codestones from the walien but I do tend to get more tan than red, so maybe you're onto something with that as well!

You'd be surprised at how long it can take. ;) Some items rarely drop. Pretty much all the Staff was working on collecting DATA for the prizes from winning battles against the 1p opponents. After several months of ONLY battling Tekkitu and Plumbeard, one at a time, I NEVER got a SINGLE Zed Codestone from either of them! I still have my tally sheets from back then. You can get some interesting items and I got all other codestones from them, just not a Zed. Those weren't the only ones I tallied, but they were the last two I worked on. I don't know if someone else got the Zed from either of them or not since then though.

18 minutes ago, Aquamentis12 said:

You can get some interesting items and I got all other codestones from them, just not a Zed.

Oh man that's so interesting! I wouldn't be surprised if TNT just somehow didn't remember to add Zeds, but it may also be likely it was the random aspect of it!  Like when it comes to random stuff, you need sooo much data to get a fair average.  I was working on a card game with my fiance and we finally had to quit because we just couldn't balance it and the variables were too hard to program into a simulation lol :')

I'll still battle the walien because I get a ton of codestones from it, but who knows if it's really better!  I've just gotten very good results.

32 minutes ago, Aquamentis12 said:

You'd be surprised at how long it can take. ;) Some items rarely drop. Pretty much all the Staff was working on collecting DATA for the prizes from winning battles against the 1p opponents. After several months of ONLY battling Tekkitu and Plumbeard, one at a time, I NEVER got a SINGLE Zed Codestone from either of them! I still have my tally sheets from back then. You can get some interesting items and I got all other codestones from them, just not a Zed. Those weren't the only ones I tallied, but they were the last two I worked on. I don't know if someone else got the Zed from either of them or not since then though.

I got a Zed codestone today actually, fighting Koi Warrior on orange difficulty. I know for sure I've had -all- brown and -all- red ones from both Koi and Walein.

On orange/red (can't remember if on both or only red, but NOT green) I've also gotten painted walein petpets when fighting Walein. I still have all the data as well, somewhere, but I can't access it right now.

Anyway, codestone drops are pretty good for both of them. And you can sell the color you don't need for training. If you are getting close to training with reds, start saving up all the Zed's though, they are the most rare to get.

It's also weird how we might guess at causes and see a correlation to support it.  Like, I have a theory, which I haven't even tried to officially test, that if an opponent is more challenging *for your pet* that it'll give better items.  Like, if you can defeat your opponent too easily, they won't give you as much as they would to someone who could barely beat them.  I don't know whether they would do that, but it keeps me doing harder opponents.