Here's a random question! Which eye do you wink with?

jellysundae

I just saw a character on TV wink and he did it with his left eye.

So I'm now sat here like a weirdo, winking to myself xD It feels really odd to do it with my left eye!

Which eye do you use?

Is it the same side as your dominant hand, or not? (I'm right-handed) Does it feel the same with both eyes?

See I say it feels weird winking my left eye, but...I can close that eye neatly, but if I shut just my right eye I have to scrunch it up a bit, I can't just lower the upper lid over it.

So how do you wink! :bigeyed:

4 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

LOL excellent question Jelly! I just did a little test, and I can wink equally well with either eye, but I default to the ride side and am right-handed. 

So! You are...um...ambiwinxtrous? :D That is totally a skill you should put on a resume. :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

So! You are...um...ambiwinxtrous? :D That is totally a skill you should put on a resume. :ph34r:

It appears I am! Maybe I'll bring it up to my boss and see if she'll give me a raise... :P

Well, we all know I am weird, lol.  I write with my right hand, and in my firearms class I found out I am right eye dominant.  However, I wink with my left eye, but I can comfortably wink with my right eye.  I danced and did gymnastics oh about......err......um.........thir........some odd  years ago and I was left handed.  Left legged splits, left leg kicks and leaps, and left turns.  I always swung a bat lefty, my brother tried to get me to turn the other way, I swung it, and he said, "yeah, go back to the way you were doing it before."  Lol.  If I were to punt a football, I would kick with my left leg.  But I cannot write left handed.  IDK.  Lol.

I can only wink with my left eye.  Like you said, if I try to wink with my right eye, I just scrunch up my face and don't actually wink, and the left eye closes more.  That said, winking does feel different than blinking.  More twitchy maybe?  I'm right handed

im a leftie and i can wink with both eyes  ..

tbh i never thought about it before ..

i just tested it and i winked 8 with my right (with no thinking)  , 2 with left (with making conscious effort)

Right!

Now Tracy's talk of gymnastics has made me think of something else! Turning cartwheels! When I was a kid I got told I did those wrong, because I lead in with my right hand, but surely that's normal for a right-handed person? o_O So how do you guys do them? And when was the last time you did one! LOL. Doing cartwheels or handstands is a sure fire way to let yourself know, in no uncertain terms, that you're not the fit and flexible little kid that you used to be. :laugh:

Also, what wrist do you wear your watch on? I wear mine on my right wrist which seems to be unusual, but it feels so WRONG on my left one!

1 minute ago, Angeló said:

i don't believe i ever did a cartwheel 

and i don't wear a watch except that one year when i was 17 and my crush got me a watch as a gift ... i wore it on my left

Yeah, gotta say, that kind of thing was definitely more of a girl thing. I used to LOVE doing cartwheels, all the way down the lawn! :D

I wonder how much mobile phones have impacted on watch sales... I don't wear one myself, I'm here at home, there's clocks in each room so I don't need a watch on. I have a vintage wind up Snoopy watch for any time when I feel the need to wear one. :3 

I haven't attempted a cartwheel in at least ten years, and was never successful even then, but I would also lead with my right hand. 

I wear watches on my left wrist (although I don't wear them for time, only as accessories, because smartphones) because I was always taught that you wear it on your non-dominant side. I also only wear bracelets on the left, but I've attributed that to the fact that I keep my hairtie on my right wrist--because of course, I start off my ponytails from my right hand. 

My dominant hand is my right, and I wink with my left.  I think for me it's more that I am blind in my left eye, so I can still see if I blink with that eye.  I can do it with either, though.  I also wear things on my left side, more because they don't get in the way as much if I do it that way.

It's even longer for me with cartwheels, got no outside space so that's my excuse, lol.

My mum tried to force me to wear my watch on my left hand :rolleyes: My mum had a lot of weird hang-ups! She's shed at least some of them (and completely denies others :laugh: including this about my watch!) but yeah, what did it matter what hand I wore it on! I didn't care that I had to take it off to wind/alter it, sheesh! That was her argument for how I was wearing it on the "wrong hand" the fact that the winder's on the right-hand side of the watch so you HAVE to wear it on the left hand. *shakes head*

@GillyTook Have you always been blind in that eye, or did the wink preference develop after sight loss?

Though having said that...I think winking is something people do in fiction far more than in RL. Before today I can't think of the last time I did it!

I wink with my right eye by default for some reason, but I can wink equally well with both eyes. I am left handed when I write and use eating utensils, but I do most other things with my right hand, such as using a computer mouse, throwing, holding a hockey stick, holding a baseball bat, etc. However, I can not write with my right hand AT ALL. lol

I'm a natural lefty so I wink with my left eye. I can't do it with my right eye. I always end up blinking. Yes, I write with my left hand. Typing tends to make it a little more even, but I can really bang out the words on the left side of the keyboard.

I can wink equally well with both eyes.

I always wore my watch on my left wrist. I am right hand dominant(ish), so it was always harder to get the little clasp to latch using my left hand. I think that I have worn a watch for one month out of my life though, so that's not saying much.

I lead my cartwheels with my right hand/leg. I last did a cartwheel a few days ago when my kids and I were playing in the backyard. I also do handstands and cartwheels down the hallway at my house on a regular basis. I like to keep myself in check.

I say that I am right dominant-ish because I have always made an effort to train my left hand to do any of the complicated tasks that I use my right hand for (just in case I ever broke my arm or something). Eating, writing, shooting (both with guns and bows), juggling (not that I am very good at that either way), and sewing are the basics that I consider myself passably ambidextrous at.

I can wink with both my eyes, but it feels more natural with my left eye. I think my right eye is dominant though. I'm right handed but I would wear a watch on my right hand, but it's been ages since I have worn a watch.

For cartwheels and handstands I lead with my right hand/foot as well and for scissors jump I was always at the left handed group, meaning I kick off with my left leg and bring my right one up in the air first.

People often say I'm weird.

There should totally be a scientific study on this! Actually, there probably is isn't there, lol.

@babayaga67 kudos to you for still doing cartwheels as an adult! For still playing.

Adult life can be so...well, adult, can't it. So beige. It's like we forgot how to have fun once we got responsibilities, plus we start feeling all awkward and self-conscious if we do something deemed as "childish" by others. But when I think about it, you might as well swap out the word childish in that sentence and replace it with fun...jumping about in the garden is fun(and good for you!) not childish, and so what if your neighbours see you, invite them round to play!

I can still do a cartwheel (I lead with my left), I was always the one in the grocery store and the parking lots doing aerials, (no handed cartwheels or back/front walkovers).  For some reason (I actually think it is more childbirth than age) I can't do aerials anymore as my hips are not tight.  They were very loose/swingy when I tried.  After my first child, age 20, I could feel the difference.  I could still do aerials, back handsprings and back tucks when I met my hubby, and I was 24, but they weren't as good as before my child was born.  After my 2nd child, my body was too whacked out to do them anymore.  Now, as soon as I get into a handstand, the blood rushes to my head and I feel intense pressure.  I never had that before.  Now THAT is probably age.  LOL.  I could stand with my back against the wall, lift my left leg up and touch my foot to the wall behind me.  I could almost get my right leg there, but not quite.  The funny thing is, I always had to everything right handed because everyone I danced with was right handed (or footed-lol).  My dance teacher always told me that I should be able to because a GOOD dancer can dance both sides.  Ok, then how come they never had to dance Lefty?  LOL.  She always told me my right leg should be as flexible as my left, and if it wasn't, I wasn't good enough.  Ha ha, my right leg was FAR more flexible than any of the other's left legs.  What a hypocrite.  That's ok, I kept up with them just fine.  If we danced lefty, they would have NEVER kept up with me.  LMAO.  So I was definitely better off.

6 minutes ago, rntracy1 said:

Now, as soon as I get into a handstand, the blood rushes to my head and I feel intense pressure.  I never had that before.  Now THAT is probably age.  LOL. 

Oh gosh, this!! I experienced the same and it was so weird and horrible! I used to love doing handstands so much, was pretty good at walking on my hands too. I used to like going over into a crab from the handstand, too. I tried endlessly to continue through and stand up from that but never quite managed it, though I could do it backwards; go down backwards into a crab then flip my legs up and over to get back on my feet. Thinking about it now, I was being too safe wasn't I, I went too slow and carefully, if I'd gone faster I'd have learnt to do flips.

Oh lol, this has triggered a memory of something we girls did as kids! Tucking our skirts into our knicker-legs so we could do handstands without flashing people. :laugh:

It's really sad how adult life makes most of us lose that easy flexibility that we took totally for granted as a kid. But if we still had climbing frames to play on as a grown up it'd make a big difference!

I'm right handed but I wink most comfortably with my left eye.

Maybe it's related to snapping?? Again, right handed but I snap most comfortably with my left hand.

Which hand do you all snap most comfortably with? 

Similarly, I've found a correlation between the color apple and grapes people like best :laughingsmiley: 

I snap with both, but I think I'm better at it with my right hand (it's more muscular?).

But I have wondered if the folding/crossing your hands in front of your body is influenced by it or not. I would bring my left arm on top of my right one. So my left hand points down and my right points up. How about you?

A correlation between the color apple and grapes? Isn't that just taste related? As in, people like sour or sweet? I don't even know what kind of grapes I prefer, I like them both! If I have to chose I think I would go for red because I love red berries and I prefer the color red over green, so I tend to get drawn to red things. EXCEPT for apples! I prefer the green ones, the Granny Smith apples, nice bite and sour of taste. Yummy! I love both sour and sweet and dislike salt and bitter tastes.

I just think I'm all crossed up, but I think that if you were to practice something you learn to do it better and better with either side. One side will just take more time. Just like with some foods/drinks: You learn to like them by consuming it. I can not understand that though, why would you want to learn to like something? Plenty of other things to eat/drink. I don't like coffee, so I don't drink it. Nor am i going to "learn" to drink it.

I can snap with either hand, I think equally.  I do it with middle finger and thumb.  

I like seedless black grapes the best.  Pink Lady apples are really yummy, as are gala or fuji.  I have some grannies right now because my mom likes them and I might bake with them. But they aren't my favorite.  

Red Delicious apples are a misnomer.  When I was little, I liked yellow apples, because I liked pure sugar.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, GillyTook said:

I have always been blind in that eye.  From what I've been told, it is shaped weird?  It's too long, or too short, one, so it effects the way that all the little parts inside it work.  

Totally makes sense that you'd wink with your blind eye then. I guess the problem is that your eye isn't the right shape to connect to the optic nerve, or something along those lines. Oh, hey, if you need glasses, please tell me you wear a monocle!

. . .

Why is it only men that wear those! I've never thought about that before but it is, isn't it. Monocles for ladies! Totally something some hipster Kickstarter thing would make a fortune out of, someone needs to make this a reality!

10 hours ago, mysteryfuzz said:

I'm right handed but I wink most comfortably with my left eye.

Maybe it's related to snapping?? Again, right handed but I snap most comfortably with my left hand.

Which hand do you all snap most comfortably with? 

Similarly, I've found a correlation between the color apple and grapes people like best :laughingsmiley: 

Hmm! *snaps fingers*

Well, I can do it with both hands just as well, but, it does feel better with my right hand though I can't pinpoint why.

Grapes and apples? Really? Intriguing! I've found I like red grapes the best, and rosy apples. Cox's Orange Pippin, a lovely UK variety with a delightful name! Look at this beauty

nmaaKh0.jpg

SO delicious! I'll go as far as saying the best tasting apple on the planet! So while both my preferences are red, it's flavour that I go by, I've found red grapes are generally the nicest.

5 hours ago, Duma said:

I snap with both, but I think I'm better at it with my right hand (it's more muscular?).

But I have wondered if the folding/crossing your hands in front of your body is influenced by it or not. I would bring my left arm on top of my right one. So my left hand points down and my right points up. How about you?

A correlation between the color apple and grapes? Isn't that just taste related? As in, people like sour or sweet? I don't even know what kind of grapes I prefer, I like them both! If I have to chose I think I would go for red because I love red berries and I prefer the color red over green, so I tend to get drawn to red things. EXCEPT for apples! I prefer the green ones, the Granny Smith apples, nice bite and sour of taste. Yummy! I love both sour and sweet and dislike salt and bitter tastes.

I just think I'm all crossed up, but I think that if you were to practice something you learn to do it better and better with either side. One side will just take more time. Just like with some foods/drinks: You learn to like them by consuming it. I can not understand that though, why would you want to learn to like something? Plenty of other things to eat/drink. I don't like coffee, so I don't drink it. Nor am i going to "learn" to drink it.

I cross my arms the same way as you.

Of course now I'm wondering on leg-crossing preferences! I tend to habitually cross my left over the right, I'm sat like that right now!