Here's a random question! Which eye do you wink with?

jellysundae

My arms crossing, I have my left arm outside/on top of my right arm.  My legs I usually have under me, or at least "criss cross applesauce" I think is what the kids are calling it these days, but more tucked than not.  Especially the left leg, I think.  I'm pretty sure if I only have one foot tucked under me, it's usually the left.  I am not currently testing that one though.  

5 hours ago, Duma said:

A correlation between the color apple and grapes? Isn't that just taste related? As in, people like sour or sweet?

Haha that was more of a joke than anything else :D BUT! Liking sour grapes and sour apples is technically a correlation, right?! Hahaha

26 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Red Delicious apples are a misnomer. 

That's so true! I like red delicious apples the least of all but I think it's mainly a texture issue... They're always kind of grainy and that is just awful. My favorite apples are honeycrisp apples. MMMMM. But they're HUGE. I usually eat 1/2 an apple at a time haha.

5 hours ago, Duma said:

But I have wondered if the folding/crossing your hands in front of your body is influenced by it or not. I would bring my left arm on top of my right one. So my left hand points down and my right points up. How about you?

I cross my arms opposite of you with arm crossing!

22 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Of course now I'm wondering on leg-crossing preferences! I tend to habitually cross my left over the right, I'm sat like that right now!

There must be a correlation between all of this because I'm the opposite of you guys in everything. I wink, snap, cross my arms and cross my legs opposite of the way you do! But we're all right handed?

6 minutes ago, mysteryfuzz said:

That's so true! I like red delicious apples the least of all but I think it's mainly a texture issue... They're always kind of grainy and that is just awful. My favorite apples are honeycrisp apples. MMMMM. But they're HUGE. I usually eat 1/2 an apple at a time haha.

Yeah, red delicious have been overbred.  Honeycrisp are really good (I just forgot about them) but also really large.  I think the last times I got it, my mom yelled at me for getting such huge apples because they were too big to be a good snack for her at work.

SO TRUE ABOUT THE RED DELICIOUS! URGH!

That weird mealy texture, bleh! *impersonates Tom Hanks in Big with the caviar*

I seem to remember, back in the 70s, that Golden Delicious actually tasted of something . . . though I'll freely admit that that could well have been because I didn't know any better at that point, lol, you're not the best judge of what tastes good when you're 7. xD But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the French haven't been busy breeding out any remaining flavour in the interim, wondering just how gross they can make their apples before the UK finally wises up and stops buying them . . . we grow the most delicious apples here in Blighty; apples and strawberries, just can't beat 'em. Apart from New Zealand ones maybe, as their climate is much the same as ours.So WHY DO WE IMPORT HORRIBLE FRENCH APPLES! :axehead:

I too like Granny Smiths, really refreshing on a hot day!

My mum's got a gnarly old apple tree in her garden, we've no idea what variety it is, it's not as tart as the average cooking apple, but it's not as sweet as your average dessert apple, it's right in the middle. I enjoy eating them uncooked, but I'm verging on pulling a face, lol.

Do you guys not have cooking apples in the US? I was so confused after seeing recipes using eating apples for pies and so on, over here the Bramley is king for all desserts, baking and apple sauce, too sour to eat uncooked, but DELICIOUS once it is.

Honeycrisp don't seem to have made it over here yet, but I know about them because of food bloggers coveting them!

I think Granny Smith is the most common baking apple around here.  I think honeycrisp holds up well baked as well.  There are other varieties breaking on the scene that do well.  I think gala and fuji are becoming the new ubiquitous apples.  

13 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

I think Granny Smith is the most common baking apple around here.  I think honeycrisp holds up well baked as well.  There are other varieties breaking on the scene that do well.  I think gala and fuji are becoming the new ubiquitous apples.  

For most of my life granny smith apples were the only apples I'd eat but my tastes have changed a lot in the apple spectrum and I avoid granny smiths now.

I'm guilty of not knowing what apples are "cooking apples". I've always made apple crisp with granny smith apples though... Besides that I don't do much baking with apples.

I like gala apples too! They're very similar to honeycrisp except I think they're less tart at the end? But they're sometimes too tiny to be a decent snack haha. Completely opposite of honeycrisp that way :D 

I suppose if we didn't have Bramleys as a native apple we'd be using ones like Granny Smiths for cooking more.

I'm really wanting a baked apple now, lol. I'll have to go on wanting as I don't have any! xD

The Galas that we get in the UK aren't anywhere near as nice as they were when they first appeared over here. They were from New Zealand then, but now . . . French. <_<

Oh, ok, there's a question, where do most of your apples come from?

Umm, well, I think the good apples come from Washington state, around here.  I think North Georgia (state) also has good apples, I may be getting some of those from more farmer's market type places, as I live in the SE. I'm not sure where the crap like red and yellow "delicious" come from.

When sitting criss cross applesauce, as you called it, I have no preference I think. I switch around all the time. Most of the time I'll just sit on top of my feet, sitting seiza, like I had to when doing karate. The moment my legs or feet start to get tingly I'll re-position myself. My legs go all over the place.

As for cooking apples, I'll use either Belle de Boskoop or Elstar apples. They are mostly recommended around here (Western Europe) for things like apple pie.

Hmm! So I'm guessing that in general, for big landmasses like Europe and America, apples will grow better in moister coastal regions, that don't get too hot. I'd assume they'd grow well in New England then? Or don't they get the rain like Washington does?

Interesting that North Georgia grows apples, some kind of micro-climate thing go on there, maybe?

I guess no-one wants to admit to growing the (un)delicious apples. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Duma said:

As for cooking apples, I'll use either Belle de Boskoop or Elstar apples. They are mostly recommended around here (Western Europe) for things like apple pie.

I've heard of Elstar, that's an apple that's here in the UK too. That Belle de Boskoop's a pretty lady, looks like my old friend Cox's Orange Pippin, actually they both do, so they're bound to taste great. :D

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Hmm! So I'm guessing that in general, for big landmasses like Europe and America, apples will grow better in moister coastal regions, that don't get too hot. I'd assume they'd grow well in New England then? Or don't they get the rain like Washington does?

Interesting that North Georgia grows apples, some kind of micro-climate thing go on there, maybe?

I guess no-one wants to admit to growing the (un)delicious apples. :laugh:

I've heard of Elstar, that's an apple that's here in the UK too. That Belle de Boskoop's a pretty lady, looks like my old friend Cox's Orange Pippin, actually they both do, so they're bound to taste great. :D

Well North Georgia is mountain foothills, so it gets a little cooler there than the rest of the state, but it's still GA, so not much freezing.  Still the southeast, so plenty humid and rainy.  Georgia is coastal.  I'm not sure exactly what parts of Georgia grow apples.  I'm a little ashamed to admit, though I've spent a good deal of time in N GA and have a bunch of family there, I know the apple thing more from a book where they had an apple farm in N GA.  

8 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Well North Georgia is mountain foothills, so it gets a little cooler there than the rest of the state, but it's still GA, so not much freezing.  Still the southeast, so plenty humid and rainy.  Georgia is coastal.  I'm not sure exactly what parts of Georgia grow apples.  I'm a little ashamed to admit, though I've spent a good deal of time in N GA and have a bunch of family there, I know the apple thing more from a book where they had an apple farm in N GA.  

Well that makes sense! I'll admit I didn't even consider hills, lol.

*looks at map*

Ok, in my head I'd moved Georgia to where Alabama is, oops! I'd also not allowed it ANY coast line. Sorry about that, Georgia!

2 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Well that makes sense! I'll admit I didn't even consider hills, lol.

*looks at map*

Ok, in my head I'd moved Georgia to where Alabama is, oops! I'd also not allowed it ANY coast line. Sorry about that, Georgia!

Georgia has a lot of Atlantic coastline, but for the record, Alabama actually has some coastline too.  It's got a little bit of gulf coast.  Then there's the "panhandle" of Florida that might as well be Alabama.  :worried:

7 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Georgia has a lot of Atlantic coastline, but for the record, Alabama actually has some coastline too.  It's got a little bit of gulf coast.  Then there's the "panhandle" of Florida that might as well be Alabama.  :worried:

Yeah I saw that, when I see shapes like that on state boundaries I do tend to assume there was some blood shed in the past that caused that to happen. Oklahoma's panhandle intrigues me, is that land that was Texas, or was the big chunk of land below it originally Oklahoma...I can't see Texas giving up any land without a fight!

Does New Hampshire get a prize for being the state with the least coast? Got to wonder what the difference in land value is for that little bit of coast compared to the rest of the state.

This comic is a funny thing about weird borders in the US.

state_borders.png 

This comic is known for its alt-text being super funny, here's the alt text for this one:

A schism between the pro-panhandle and anti-panhandle factions eventually led to war, but both sides spent too much time working on their flag designs to actually do much fighting.

The "align to grid" bit had me cackling xD I find all those big square states there to be a bit unnerving, lol. Need more rivers to give natural boundaries! That alt text is pretty accurate, isn't it. xD

After seeing this comic, and showing my mom, we had to look up the little cowlick at the top that says give to Canada.  It's SUPER weird and should totally just be Canada.  It's called Angle Inlet (I guess, maybe Angle Township?) and it's considered Minnesota, but to get there you either have to go through Canada or go over water.  Not just little water, a very large lake.  And the map seems very specifically drawn to include that little bit.  

15 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

After seeing this comic, and showing my mom, we had to look up the little cowlick at the top that says give to Canada.  It's SUPER weird and should totally just be Canada.  It's called Angle Inlet (I guess, maybe Angle Township?) and it's considered Minnesota, but to get there you either have to go through Canada or go over water.  Not just little water, a very large lake.  And the map seems very specifically drawn to include that little bit.  

I just looked that up too now, lol. This kind of stuff fascinates me :D  That's a really intriguing set up, isn't it! Bit of a pain to have to go through customs any time you want to go anywhere. xD

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 1:24 AM, Duma said:

I can not understand that though, why would you want to learn to like something? Plenty of other things to eat/drink. I don't like coffee, so I don't drink it. Nor am i going to "learn" to drink it.

someone like you, who is fine with a lot of food probably doesn't understand it. But for someone like me, who is quite picky when it comes to food, it's actually quite frustrating to not like a lot of foods... wether or not I like the food is something I worry about every time i have dinner at other's people places, or at restaurants... heck even at the upcoming wedding it worries me a bit xD 

so for me... the last year or so I've actually tried to learn to like new foods, even though it is very challenging x.x 

also I can't wink :( I just blink :biggrin: