Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Angeló

Stranger Things 2

Recommended Posts

i just finished binge watching S2 of Stranger Things

did anyone else watch it and want to discuss theories ? references ? etc ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched it! I'm not very good at discussing theories though, because I tend not to ponder too much about what's coming. I sort of go with the flow, and like to be surprised as much as possible. I have an extremely low tolerance for spoilers and I personally see fan theories/speculations as "proto-spoilers", lol.

But speaking of spoilers, here's what I liked and disliked about this season (don't click if you haven't watched the whole thing, obvs):

I liked meeting Kali and thought that the concept of her power was very interesting. But I hated everyone in her group. I think they kind of ruined her bonding time with Eleven. I didn't feel like I cared when they got together, and I didn't care when El decided to leave either.
Also, while I think her power is interesting, I'm a little worried about each "experiment" having a different power. I hope this doesn't turn into a superhero type thing.

I loved it when El met her mom, and found out about everything. It was probably one of my favourite moments.

At first I didn't know how to feel about Max, but I think I like her. She's not a fantastic character, but I'm all for having more girls in the gang. And I liked that she called out the boys' behaviour, such as "stalking" her and then not wanting her in the group. By the way, I was SO annoyed with Mike's attitude towards her. So he's the only one allowed to bring in a new girl to the group? Heh. Dude, it's okay to be friends with more than one girl. I really disliked the whole "rivalry" between El and Max (if I can even call it that, since it was one-sided. Max was confused, lol). I'd like to see them become friends... Now that it's clear that Max likes Lucas and doesn't want to "steal" Mike (:rolleyes:), I guess there's no reason for that not to happen.

Speaking of Max... Her brother is the absolute worst. He's totally the kind of character that only exists to make people hate him. He makes Steve look like such a cutie pie (I almost forgot what a jerk he was in season 1). But to be fair, I think his character is growing regardless of how he compares to that guy - he's redeemed himself in many ways and I like that.

Nancy is growing too, and I liked seeing her dance with Dustin (poor baby, I almost cried with him :sad02:). I'm just not a fan of her dating Jonathan... I mean, I get that they've bonded because of the whole Will/Barb situation and all, and he's overall a nice guy, but he still took creepy pictures of her. It's like there are only 2 teenage boys she can date in Hawkins, and since she's not with Steve anymore, it's gotta be Jonathan. HOW ABOUT NEITHER?

And speaking of Barb... I don't get the whole Barb phenomenon, lol. Why did she become such a big deal?

All in all, I enjoyed this season, even if a few minor things bothered me. I guess one not-so-minor thing that bothered me somewhat is how the plot essentially didn't change too much: Will gets into Upside Down related trouble, the monster is named after D&D, Joyce figures things out by getting crafty and turning her house into a mess... At least the ending of season 2 lets us know that season 3 will have to be very different, so I'm curious to see how that will go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you do that hidden comments thing?! I would love to discuss, but I don't want to include spoilers! I waited a few days before bingeing the second season. I know the seasons are short, and I did NOT want to finish it. Ya know? I absolutely LOVE stranger things! I thought season 2 was pretty good. Obviously I think I will always prefer the first season, but I think the writers did well on expanding on the story they already had, while also bringing in some new elements. A lot of shows really struggle to do that. It's like the writers get excited and can't function anymore haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BrittanyLee said:

How do you do that hidden comments thing?! I would love to discuss, but I don't want to include spoilers! I waited a few days before bingeing the second season. I know the seasons are short, and I did NOT want to finish it. Ya know? I absolutely LOVE stranger things! I thought season 2 was pretty good. Obviously I think I will always prefer the first season, but I think the writers did well on expanding on the story they already had, while also bringing in some new elements. A lot of shows really struggle to do that. It's like the writers get excited and can't function anymore haha.

I think it's [ spoiler]your text here[/spoiler] without the gap

...

Let me try without the gap and see!

BOO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched it and I've been waiting to have someone to discuss it with! None of my irl friends have watched it yet, ugh. I agree with pretty much everything Deb said. More specifics in the spoiler tags...

I liked meeting Kali as well, and I think her power is pretty unique. I can't think of any other fictional character off the top of my head who can do anything similar. It was pretty inevitable that the storyline would start to explore other victims of the lab, and it's a good way to expand the plot. However...although I like the idea of it, I don't think it was very well done. First of all, I didn't like having El separated from all the other characters for pretty much the entire season. Second of all, I didn't like that Kali and her group were basically just a bunch of murderers (and what buy-in did the rest of the group have? They weren't test subjects at the lab, so why would they want to kill those people? Just for kicks? Ew. I'm fine with bad/evil characters, but they have to have a believable motivation.) And third, that whole plotline didn't really change anything. El tried hanging out with them for a while, decided she didn't like it, and went back to Hawkins. I assume Kali and/or other 'experimentees' will come back at some point next season, but there wasn't much point introducing her in this season when she didn't accomplish anything worthwhile.

Actually, that was kind of my problem with the whole season. There was pretty much zero net change--not much plot or character development that will extend past this season. 

Anyway, the other thing that I think Deb hit the nail on the head with is Nancy getting together with Jonathan. I guess they're not officially a couple (yet), but I agree that it's super weird that everyone ~conveniently~ forgot that he took creeper photos of her in season one. I also think the scene where they get together (where the conspiracy theorist guy they go to was pushing them together) was basically pandering and breaking the fourth wall, since he was echoing word-for-word what most of the fandom has been saying since season one. If they were going to have Nancy and Jonathan get together, then I think they could've done it in a less forced way. 

So anyway...my overall thoughts are that the season was entertaining enough to watch, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first one, and I don't really miss it now that it's over. I'm hoping the next season will turn around and pull me back in, otherwise I'll probably lose interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm an 80's kid .. so i caught most of the references 

obviously Bob (Sean Astin) was my favorite and i felt very bad for him ... it was hilarious when he reincarnated his role in the Goonies (as Mikey) and said "x marks the spot for what ? pirate treasure?" that was HILARIOUS !

also his IT reference when he was talking to Will and told him about the creepy clown who offered him a balloon (looking at the timeframe , he could easily b one of the losers club in Stephen King's IT .. maybe he's Ben Hanscom in disguise - but Ben got thin as an adult) ....

Billy (Max's brother) reminds me a lot of Ace Merrill who's a baddie in a couple Stephen King stories as well (in the movie Stand By Me he's played by Kiefer Sutherland)

 Nancy and Steve go to a Halloween party dressed as Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay characters from Risky Business 

the ending messed me up ......... and i have a feeling those spraying flowers that attacked Hopper and Dusty infected them with something ...

Kali and Jane's scene is of course from Star Wars when Yoda is teaching Luke ...

Having each patient with different powers is something good in my opinion .. not in a Justice League - like type but maybe more like that movie Super 8

Jane (11) ... she's very much like Stephen King's Carrie or Firestarter (Drew Barrymore) ..

The heat /cold thing reminds me of The Thing (1982)

and ofc there's Paul Reiser from the Alien franchise ... as Dr Owens (who i don't trust) 

i can go on and on .................... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More comments/replies:

 
10 hours ago, kayahtik said:

It was pretty inevitable that the storyline would start to explore other victims of the lab, and it's a good way to expand the plot. However...although I like the idea of it, I don't think it was very well done. First of all, I didn't like having El separated from all the other characters for pretty much the entire season. Second of all, I didn't like that Kali and her group were basically just a bunch of murderers (and what buy-in did the rest of the group have? They weren't test subjects at the lab, so why would they want to kill those people? Just for kicks? Ew. I'm fine with bad/evil characters, but they have to have a believable motivation.) And third, that whole plotline didn't really change anything. El tried hanging out with them for a while, decided she didn't like it, and went back to Hawkins. I assume Kali and/or other 'experimentees' will come back at some point next season, but there wasn't much point introducing her in this season when she didn't accomplish anything worthwhile.

My feelings exactly! I was actually very curious and excited to learn more about the other victims of the lab, but you're right about there not being much point introducing her this season, at least considering how it was done. I was hoping they'd explain how the group (aside from Kali) is connected to the bad guys. They made it seem like they were all wronged by the bad guys, but I don't get how, since they have nothing to do with the lab stuff? Unless they somehow actually have something to do with the lab *dun dun* (that would be pretty stupid though). Anyway, I'm curious, but at the same time I'm not really looking forward to seeing each one of their backstories, lol.
 

10 hours ago, kayahtik said:

Anyway, the other thing that I think Deb hit the nail on the head with is Nancy getting together with Jonathan. I guess they're not officially a couple (yet), but I agree that it's super weird that everyone ~conveniently~ forgot that he took creeper photos of her in season one. I also think the scene where they get together (where the conspiracy theorist guy they go to was pushing them together) was basically pandering and breaking the fourth wall, since he was echoing word-for-word what most of the fandom has been saying since season one. If they were going to have Nancy and Jonathan get together, then I think they could've done it in a less forced way.

True, we don't know exactly what their status is... But the show does make it seem like her only options are being with Steve or being with Jonathan. There could totally be a new guy, or even no guy (having a boyfriend isn't vital, haha). Nancy also needs to get a grip, she seems to not be able to resist either one of the boys whenever they do something remotely nice.
 

9 hours ago, Angeló said:

Having each patient with different powers is something good in my opinion .. not in a Justice League - like type but maybe more like that movie Super 8

Yeah, I suppose it is good... I'm just worried about what direction this could go into. Did you mean Sense8? I only saw Super 8 once when it came out, I don't remember the kids having powers. I did get some Sense8 vibes in certain moments (I'm not very familiar with the show though, since I only watched 2 episodes - I didn't like it).
 

9 hours ago, Angeló said:

Nancy and Steve go to a Halloween party dressed as Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay characters from Risky Business

Oh, I didn't know that! Speaking of the Halloween party, I was personally offended that Jonathan saw that girl with the makeup and asked if she was KISS, not realising she was actually Siouxsie Sioux. I thought he was supposed to have good taste in music? :rolleyes: lol
 

9 hours ago, Angeló said:

Kali and Jane's scene is of course from Star Wars when Yoda is teaching Luke ...

Huh? How so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, deboratibi said:
20 hours ago, Angeló said:

Kali and Jane's scene is of course from Star Wars when Yoda is teaching Luke ...

Huh? How so?

when Yoda was teaching Luke to lift the X Wing ...

about Nancy ... Jonathan and Steve kinda look alike ...  i suppose she has a "type" :D and these two fit the type ...

x-wing-dagobah-clone-wars-611.jpg
 

Quote


 Jonathan saw that girl with the makeup and asked if she was KISS, not realising she was actually Siouxsie Sioux

 

indeed !!!!!!! although personally i thought she's dressed as Rocky Horror Picture Show

Quote

I don't remember the kids having powers. I did get some Sense8 vibes in certain moments

Sorry I meant Chronicle ... a group of teenagers gain superpowers and one of them turns rogue ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angeló said:

when Yoda was teaching Luke to lift the X Wing ...

I knew which Star Wars scene you meant, I was asking how this was referenced in the show...

 

But now I just remembered, the old train scene. For some reason I completely forgot about that one. It's funny, I did get this reference when I watched it, I even said to myself "So, Chicago was kinda like Dagobah" :laugh:

 

3 hours ago, Angeló said:

about Nancy ... Jonathan and Steve kinda look alike ...  i suppose she has a "type" :D and these two fit the type ...

and they both have goofy hairstyles! xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deboratibi said:

and they both have goofy hairstyles!

all the 80's were goofy :D:D

did you notice the blue ribbon Hopper used to wear on his wrist for his daughter Sara ?? it's now moved to Jane's  

stranger-things-blue-bracelet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 1:37 PM, Angeló said:

all the 80's were goofy :D:D

did you notice the blue ribbon Hopper used to wear on his wrist for his daughter Sara ?? it's now moved to Jane's  

stranger-things-blue-bracelet.jpg

I totally didn't catch that at all! I caught most of the other stuff, but this is pretty cool.

 

I LOVED the last scene this season. I feel like there's way more a cliffhanger, on top of the characters getting some resolution as far as their "crushes". I like that the kids are getting older and having feelings for girls. It's freaking adorable and played out in a realistic way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×