Captchas going away?

kayahtik

When I click to go to someone's userlookup, I get this meepit page for a brief second before being redirected to the lookup...without having to complete a captcha?! I know this has been mentioned in the editorial a couple of times, but has the day finally come??? (Still captchas as per usual on petlookups though...)

image.png.afc2dcb5d47440fed20292e50c5fda70.png

I JUST RAN INTO THIS BEFORE I FOUND THIS THREAD AND I SCREAMED BECAUSE I WAS SO EXCITED!!!! Woke the baby up but totally worth it.

But I wasn't around when they first instituted the captchas... What abuse was going on that they decided they were necessary?

2 hours ago, mysteryfuzz said:

I JUST RAN INTO THIS BEFORE I FOUND THIS THREAD AND I SCREAMED BECAUSE I WAS SO EXCITED!!!! Woke the baby up but totally worth it.

But I wasn't around when they first instituted the captchas... What abuse was going on that they decided they were necessary?

I believe it was from bots looking for accounts with UC Neopets and a lot of these accounts were hacked. The Captchas were put into place to prevent bots from acquiring information.

10 minutes ago, Rometus said:

I've heard horror stories about people going on lookups and there are cookie grabbers and stuff, so I've avoided them anyway.  Is that actually a thing? ;w;

It certainly is possible. The best thing you can do to protect yourself from cookie grabbers is to simply log out when you are done on the site. This resets your cookies, so the ones that were grabbed become useless. Additionally if you have Firefox you can get an add-on called NoScript.

7 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

I believe it was from bots looking for accounts with UC Neopets and a lot of these accounts were hacked. The Captchas were put into place to prevent bots from acquiring information.

7 hours ago, Rometus said:

Aw people are jerks :( Thanks for the info. 

5 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

Good news is that there hasn't been a working cookie grabber in years so you don't need to worry about that.

This is good to know!! Thanks for that!

• 2 weeks later...