Games Master Challenge 2017: Living vs Dead BEGINS!

hrtbrk

Ok, I GET that "Thanksgiving" is an American holiday, but why does TNT have to start the GMC, during a plot just a couple days before a holiday where it's projected that 50 million people will be traveling to visit family? Will TNT even have anyone at work this Thursday? I mean you know, in case something happens with the event(s) that are overlapping here?

Anyway, with that Grumbling out of the way... I'll probably go with team Living. Just because Hubrid Nox can be annoying. lol Always stirring up trouble in the games he's mentioned or makes appearances in. ;)

I'm on Team Living. I have no real preference over Dead vs Living, I just like Magax.

Ho boy this reminds me of Splatfests...

8 hours ago, phoenixgal said:

Team Dead just because of this

A Deadly Choice!

The Dead welcome you with a little gift. Here's a gift for you. 

• clo_hubrid_nox_plushie.gif
    Hubrid Nox Plushie

These have been placed in your inventory.

What do Team Living get?

A Magax plushie.

image.png.1c0d83026ced7d94954d8075831b8e5e.png

7 hours ago, Aquamentis12 said:

Ok, I GET that "Thanksgiving" is an American holiday, but why does TNT have to start the GMC, during a plot just a couple days before a holiday where it's projected that 50 million people will be traveling to visit family? Will TNT even have anyone at work this Thursday? I mean you know, in case something happens with the event(s) that are overlapping here?

Anyway, with that Grumbling out of the way... I'll probably go with team Living. Just because Hubrid Nox can be annoying. lol Always stirring up trouble in the games he's mentioned or makes appearances in. ;)

I totally feel this same way. The step daughter will be on a cruise with her Mom all of this week, so I have a BUNCH of free time, BUT it could've been the exact opposite! Can't please everyone though. 

I chose team Dead. My hubby tells me my heart is black and dead, so it seemed appropriate.

16 hours ago, kayahtik said:

I'm really disappointed this is happening over Thanksgiving ): I'm probably going to end up missing a few gold checkmarks while I'm traveling. 

As of yet I'm still undecided on which team to join, although I may be slightly leaning toward Dead because my score for Shenkuu Tangrams is higher than for Imperial Exam. 

No doubt.  Unfortunately it always does.  They should be a little more aware of the fact that people are away, traveling, busy, unable to play neopets, etc.  I guess this is one challenge for the DIE HARDS.  LOL.

16 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I've gone for living, just because, lol.

I am leaning toward that too.  Gotta see what my family (Beth and Scoobert) says about it though.  They are the deciding factor for me.

15 hours ago, LillytheGrundo said:

Team Living for me and both challenges have been completed.  Today's challenges weren't so bad.  I have never played Imperial Exam.  I found it super fun!

I was debating too. I think I am going with team living but will wait for my sister Beth and scoobert.  See which team they decide for me.  LOL

14 hours ago, balloongal247 said:

I chose living and took an embarrassingly long time to complete the imperial exam.  I think mostly I just needed to get it through my head that there was plenty of time, and not let my fingers decide to press random buttons.  Also, ie/ei is super hard. Plus a few double letter ones tripped me up.  Spelling is not my strongest point.  Plus I kept being afraid that the words COULD be spelled correctly in British English.  After all, neo says Defence.  And so I grew up thinking that was right until my mom told me that in the US we say Defense.  

Yes, you are right, Defence/Defense is totally different.  I AM actually a strong speller and I have trouble with this "CHILDREN'S" game.  LOL.  But you are absolutely correct, we tend to rush too much, especially during the first levels, where we have plenty of time.  The mistakes can be very costly. If you can just relax, you can get through it without those mistakes (as you realized (realised- LOL). 

15 hours ago, kayahtik said:

Oh really? I read JN's guide before TDN's was up and they said

I figured that would be the case, since that's how Daily Dare is. But I've never done a GMC, so if I really do have until the end to complete the challenges, that's great news! Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy my Thanksgiving after all, without Neo-stress weighing on me the whole time x.x

Edit: "Join the dead to transcend mortal limitations..." Well, that's always my goal, so I think I'll join the dead.

You CAN get all of, or a majority of, the great prizes with all green ticks, but you will only have the highest LEVEL trophy with all gold ticks.  The GMC has different level trophies depending upon how many games you complete and the time frame in which you do it.  So, as Jellyneo said, and hrtbrk said, they are BOTH correct.  Your GOAL is to get all gold ticks and get the highest level trophy, however, if you cannot, you will STILL receive a trophy and most of the prizes.  Good luck.

One of my guild mates recommends playing like 25 of the GMC games a day because one of the later challenges is usually to have played like 100 games.  So it's a little less mind numbing if you space them out.  I'm bored, so I'm trying to go through and play them each once.  I just played advert attack, and it made me really appreciate the invention of ad blockers, because I remember the days when the internet was actually like that.  Also, it was easier to play when I rotated my computer to tablet mode and used the touchscreen rather than trying to move the cursor around with my touchpad.

3 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

One of my guild mates recommends playing like 25 of the GMC games a day because one of the later challenges is usually to have played like 100 games.  So it's a little less mind numbing if you space them out.  I'm bored, so I'm trying to go through and play them each once.  I just played advert attack, and it made me really appreciate the invention of ad blockers, because I remember the days when the internet was actually like that.  Also, it was easier to play when I rotated my computer to tablet mode and used the touchscreen rather than trying to move the cursor around with my touchpad.

I completely forgot about having to play at least a 100 games. I should start doing that...good idea! I absolutely LOATHE advert attack. It is probably my least favorite game on Neo.

Just now, BrittanyLee said:

I completely forgot about having to play at least a 100 games. I should start doing that...good idea! I absolutely LOATHE advert attack. It is probably my least favorite game on Neo.

Yeah, I'm intending to get some out of the way after reading this, too!

Team Dead had me at "Dead". :skull:

18 hours ago, Hanso said:

"If you're full of vigor and enthusiasm and live each day to the fullest, you truly appreciate the gift that is life"

Um... yeah, Team Living is my complete opposite.

Same.

18 hours ago, Hanso said:

I guess I'l end up choosing Team Dead since Hubrid Nox has a huge fanbase (for whatever reason), but maily because its theme appeals to the dark sense of humour of many players, including mine.

Reveal hidden contents

I am that meme, lol.

28 minutes ago, GillyTook said:

Silly question. . .  What's up with the qualifying games list?  It looks like it will have you have to at least play the games, but do you need to get a certain score, or just send it to "complete" those?

To "complete" you just need to send score.  1 point will do.  That's for the later one we were talking about where you'll have to have 100 games complete.  Those are also the list from which you need to favorite 5 for this first task.

3 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

No doubt.  Unfortunately it always does.  They should be a little more aware of the fact that people are away, traveling, busy, unable to play neopets, etc.  I guess this is one challenge for the DIE HARDS.  LOL.

I heard someone say that this event was intentionally done over Thanksgiving to give non-American players something to do while TNT is out of the office for the week. I have no idea if that's true (honestly doesn't make much sense to me), but I guess it would be one potential explanation. 

4 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

I heard someone say that this event was intentionally done over Thanksgiving to give non-American players something to do while TNT is out of the office for the week. I have no idea if that's true (honestly doesn't make much sense to me), but I guess it would be one potential explanation. 

You're right that that makes no sense at all. xD

It's not like the alternative to GMC is Neopets shutting down for a week!

Just now, jellysundae said:

It's not like the alternative to GMC is Neopets shutting down for a week!

Exactly!!!

The friend who said this tends to be kind of contrary and argumentative, so I didn't ask her to elaborate on where she found this theory. I would be interested in knowing if there are any other ideas floating around out there though. After sleeping on it, I've more or less made my peace with potentially missing a couple of gold checks, but I'd still like to know why the heck TNT would make this scheduling decision. 

43 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

Exactly!!!

The friend who said this tends to be kind of contrary and argumentative, so I didn't ask her to elaborate on where she found this theory. I would be interested in knowing if there are any other ideas floating around out there though. After sleeping on it, I've more or less made my peace with potentially missing a couple of gold checks, but I'd still like to know why the heck TNT would make this scheduling decision. 

How long has GMC been around?

Not sure of the relevance of that, lol, but I just wondered if the timing was to give people a specific thing to do;  keeping people on Neo rather than going elsewhere, when they are hiding from their family once Thanksgiving's got too much. >_<

Or, maybe it's the total opposite and it's intended for families to play together during the holiday.

Or, maybe it's to try and get more players by people checking out what this Neopets that their relation is playing on is . . .

Or, all of the above! :lmaosmiley:

4 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

but you will only have the highest LEVEL trophy with all gold ticks

i've gotten the highest trophy every year with both gold and green ticks ... the trophy is for the number of challenges completed ... not when you complete them ... there are usually 24 challenges in one week ... 

I can't remember if I did this last year or not, so refresh my memory. We need to wait to submit scores for the others of the qualifying games on the list, correct? Until they are assigned each day, scores submitted now of the others just count toward normal Neopoints, and not as "Complete" yet?

@lakecat I've played about 12 of the games so far, and they change to 'completed' on the games list after I send a score. So I don't think you have to wait until they're assigned as part of a challenge. ^^

2 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

@lakecat I've played about 12 of the games so far, and they change to 'completed' on the games list after I send a score. So I don't think you have to wait until they're assigned as part of a challenge. ^^

Thanks, that's helpful. Do you remember about how many total games we need to complete? I'd like to spread it out each day. 

My other concern is, what if you submit a score but they needed a higher one for the challenge?

2 minutes ago, lakecat said:

My other concern is, what if you submit a score but they needed a higher one for the challenge?

I wondered about that, but, it can't count until the challenge for that game is activated, surely?

If I recall, most of the other games only ask for a low score, so maybe the Complete is achieved relatively easily. But I still don't like not knowing, since I've never even tried a lot of games. In past years I was lucky they only asked for low scores since it was my first attempt at some. Maybe people could post what they scored on games they earned a green Complete on. It would give us some idea and it's better than waiting a few days. And like I wondered about above, I can't remember how many total games we had to play, it seems like it was a few dozen.

10 minutes ago, lakecat said:

I think submitting a score to mark the game as complete is different from submitting a score to complete a challenge. I would assume that you could achieve a higher score for a challenge and submit that even if you've 'completed' the game previously in the week. 

11 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Do you remember about how many total games we need to complete?

I looked at records from the last two years, and one of the challenges on the final day in 2015 and 2016 was to 'complete' 50 unique games (no minimum score). Like @balloongal247 said, they'll probably do something similar this year. That's why I got started on completing some of the games. I'm just going through the list alphabetically and sending minimum scores. 

13 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

I think submitting a score to mark the game as complete is different from submitting a score to complete a challenge. I would assume that you could achieve a higher score for a challenge and submit that even if you've 'completed' the game previously in the week. 

I looked at records from the last two years, and one of the challenges on the final day in 2015 and 2016 was to 'complete' 50 unique games (no minimum score). Like @balloongal247 said, they'll probably do something similar this year. That's why I got started on completing some of the games. I'm just going through the list alphabetically and sending minimum scores. 

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot too. My question is, what is a "minimum" score? 

16 minutes ago, lakecat said:

If I recall, most of the other games only ask for a low score, so maybe the Complete is achieved relatively easily. But I still don't like not knowing, since I've never even tried a lot of games. In past years I was lucky they only asked for low scores since it was my first attempt at some. Maybe people could post what they scored on games they earned a green Complete on. It would give us some idea and it's better than waiting a few days. And like I wondered about above, I can't remember how many total games we had to play, it seems like it was a few dozen.

@kayahtik is correct; marking a game as complete and getting the score for a challenge are two completely different things. You could "complete" a game today with the lowest score possible, and if that game were to be a challenge tomorrow (or even today), with a specific score you need to beat, you can play that game again until you get the score. "Complete" simply means that you've sent in a score for that game this GMC and that it counts towards your total of 50 games (or however many they ask for this year). It doesn't mean that you can't send in more scores for that game.

I'm not sure if you can get the score if you've already sent in your 3 scores for the day for a game though (I know that's sometimes possible during events, I just keep forgetting if it's always possible). But if you're only sending in one score per game to get the 'complete' mark, then you should be fine anyway. :smile:

A "minimum" score is basically any points at all. You could send in a score of 1, and it would count as complete.