Looking for advice!

Erebos

I have been away from Neopets for a long long LONG time - so I was hoping to get some advice on weapons and such. 

Is there anything that is nerfed that I should look to replace ASAP.  What is my next big upgrade that I should be actively working towards?  General Thoughts/Suggestions?

Current Items:

Elephante Unguent

Garoo Elite Blaster

Downsize

H4000 Helmet

Honey Potion

Psellias Fighting Fan

(2 TWR Event Items)

But before that I had

Green Sticky Hand

obsidian dagger

Current Stats:

Level: 97
Health:  / 191
Mood: delighted!
Hunger: bloated
Strength: LEGENDARY (100) -> Actively training to get to 125 boost
Defence: GREAT (30)
Move:

EXCELLENT (55)

Your weapons are decent however, I would really work on training your Defence. That is very low at the moment. You don't say what you have for Faerie abilities, but I am assuming since you are level 97, you have lens flare. If not, I suggest you change to it.  Since you are so close to level 100, you may want to think about training to it and getting burrow too. Your strength does need some improvement, but not as much as your defence right now.  Good luck.

Thanks!

Back in my day I don't think defense really did anything (?) so I didn't bother training it :-P

I did research and am not at the 35 boost for defense.  I've acquainted myself with faerie abilities and have most of them.  I don't tihnk I want to get to level 100 though because 4codestones is better than 5.

What are your thoughts on weapon improvements?

Hi Erebos, Looks like you've gotten some very good advice so far. And I like your set's "vintage" look! Having some old school weaponry like the Garoo Elite Blaster is nice, haven't heard of anyone using that in awhile. ;)

Garoo Elite Blaster is an 11-icon weapon. Charelan's advice on the Yooyu Knuckle Duster is definitely solid advice. As it's a 14-icon constant. Per rntracy1's advice, Defense does help. Always did as far as I'm aware. Some people though, prefer to spend their training NP on Strength and HP 3x the pet's level. And go with strength and endurance to survive and win their fights. From what I understand, this is more feasible for pets who use the Lab Ray every day, as Defense tends to be much lower for those pets. As the boosts are the same for Defense, as for Strength, you can calculate how much damage your defense blocks similarly. Though total amount depends on your boost and how many of the opponent's icons you can block. So it's a little more complicated than doing your Weapon's max damage. However, you may find the damage calculator to be useful.

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/damage-calculator/

As far as your set goes,

Elephante Unguent, I'm assuming your pet is still an Elephante, so that item is good.

Psellias Fighting Fan only does 9 icons total, I'd recommend either another Yooyu Knuckle Duster (so 2 in total), or if you want a dual duty that blocks a little dark, Golden Compass might help. It's also a 9-icon attack, but blocks 3 Dark icons constantly.

Downsize and the H4000 Helmet are perfect!

Honey Potion, sad as I am to say it, should be replaced with the prize from the GMC that just ended.

Thistleberry Pingrenade Should replace Honey Potion. It's still being tested due to some Fractional Earth icons, but it appears to be between the power of the Honey Potion and the might of the Ghostkerbomb. Right now, it appears on the Trading Post for about 225k NP, that's a pretty good deal for an upgrade to the weakening Honey Potion. Seems so far that it does about 17 constant and 6 fractional icons. Which would mean that it's got a max of 23 icons. Of course as I said, it's still being tested so this could change slightly. But considering the price of this per points, and the price of a Ghostkerbomb which can do a MAXIMUM of 30 icons for about 7-7.5million NP. I'd say 225,000 NP is a STEAL.

The TWR Event weapons are ok, though the Staff of Devilish Laughter seems to only do it's max damage against the Wraiths. So you may want to stow that one in your SDB after the plot is over. the Corrosive Spear Wand seems to do 10.6-16 icons of damage. So probably more useful. ;)

Hope you find this info useful. Happy battling! :D

Thank you all for the advice.  Changes I've made

Strength boost : has hit 125

Defence boost : has hit 35

Got myself a Turned Tooth to replace my fan (for probably half the price I paid a long time ago)

Using the Thistleberry Bomb with my Honey Potion - but will probably replace HP soon :(

And to Clairfy - My philosophy was defense didn't matter if I bursted them down - so it was H4k downsize then hit them with the HP and beserk.  You used to be able to beserk to increase your damage by 1.5x or 2.0x. 

I am now trying to actively get my defense boost to 55

Congrats on reaching the next boosts for your pet! I really find that training can hone even the dullest weaponry into something much stronger. ;)

Sounds like you've made some good changes to your set. I hope it carries your Battle-career far.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I used to use a similar strategy when I was a lower level and then as an intermediate battler though I've always kept my defense balanced. In the Old BD, sure Berserk increased the damage you inflicted, but like with the other stances, it also meant you could be hurt that much more, unless you were using a normal or defensive stance. But then that is like what we have now, the "normal" stance. So it quite literally was a double-edged sword because it could cut both ways. Sometimes, if I knew I was going to lose, I'd go with Berserk, just to try and force a double knock-out, for a tie. lol
I miss the species-specific abilities. I don't know where they'd be incorporated into the NEW BD, unless they shared the Faerie Ability selection slot, but If you needed to defend yourself and still chip away at the opponent's HP, two shields and a pet's natural attack abilities could be useful in such a situation. ;-) I don't know what they were for other pets, I only remember 2 my Peophin had, Peophin Trample and Splash. Splash was the strongest and the last peophin species ability, I think it unlocked at level 20... Though I can't recall for CERTAIN anymore, it's been too long. ;)

Best of luck getting your pet to the next defense boost!

Happy battling! :D

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Erebos said:

Thank you all for the advice.  Changes I've made

Strength boost : has hit 125

Defence boost : has hit 35

Got myself a Turned Tooth to replace my fan (for probably half the price I paid a long time ago)

Using the Thistleberry Bomb with my Honey Potion - but will probably replace HP soon :(

And to Clairfy - My philosophy was defense didn't matter if I bursted them down - so it was H4k downsize then hit them with the HP and beserk.  You used to be able to beserk to increase your damage by 1.5x or 2.0x. 

I am now trying to actively get my defense boost to 55

Hi again! I am assuming by thistleberry bomb you are talking about the Thistleberry pingrenade.  I was just going to recommend it.  As aquamentis had recommended 2 yooyu knuckledusters, that is exactly what I had in my battleset. But I have since upgraded one of them to a Thistleberry pingrenade.  Someone here correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as though when the corrosive spear wand first came out it had like 21 or 22 attack icons, but it seems that it has since been lowered to an average of about 13 attack icons. I have switched mine to the fiendish key which I find more consistent.  I also like the water powered pistol for a dual duty weapon. It was a daily dare prize, so I haven't checked on pricing. It does 13 attack icons and 5 defensive icons.  

You are definitely correct in your thinking that if you can take them out in one or two shots, defense isn't as big of a deal.  That being said, you are right in the fact that the cost of training goes up as your level does.  Therefore, you definitely want to train your abilities as high as you can for the cheapest amount possible.  However, once you start battling higher strength opponents, you will need better faerie abilities.  Right now, I have warlock's rage, lens flare, plus my entangling lenny lasso.  These enable me to freeze my opponent for 3 rounds! I can beat opponents with HPs quite a bit higher than mine because of those freezing abilities.  So, while I understand your reluctance to spend the extra codestones, it is well worth it in the end. But train as high as you can at the level you are at first. Good luck to you.

• 5 weeks later...

To the Battledome veterans, in your honest opinion would a Captain Scarblade Cutlass be a good investment or would an anagram sword or swords of lameness be better?

It's a good weapon for sure. For the icons, it's not much different than the anagram swords. It will depend on the fact if you want to use it for 1P or 2P and on the fact if you have Lens flare/Warlocks rage or not.

Since it has a wider variety of elements (3 types unlike the anagram swords and Kelpbeard Trident that have 2), it can work in your advantage or in your disadvantage depending on the opponent and what they block. All of the anagram swords can do a max number of 24 icons and a minimum of 16 just like Captain Scarblade Cutlass, so no difference there. It will depend on what is being blocked, your preference and your budget. But it's not a bad investment in my opinion. I have no experience with 2P though!

Personally I wouldn't recommend the Sword of Lameness because you never know what it will do. There is a 1 in 8 chance it will do nothing at all! If that happens at your first turn when using Lens flare it would be a waste!

I hope I won't regret it, but now I own a Pirate Captain Cutlass which was auctioned @ 10m nps,though according the JN its current value is 8.5m which makes me both sad[for paying 1.5m more] & happy for saving 6m from the HT