Painkillers taking a dangerous step backwards?

jellysundae

Whew, this topic! Can I say how nice (and horrible in its own way) that I know exactly what you mean @Mouseykins about a child coughing so much they get sick. My little cousin is like this and has been since we took him in at 18 months. I think it is a bad gag reflex. He doesn't do it so much now when he is awake, but in the evening if he has a cough...we can be up several times a night cleaning and doing laundry. And there was no medicine for his age to help!!!

Flavoring in general - look, this same kid was on so many meds due to his living situation (he certainly didn't need them) he was even begging to be allowed to have the nasty stuff (stuff when he has to take now he hates it). 

For me overall a tasty medicine leads to less fights which leads to medication actually being administered properly (as oppose to wearing most of it as mentioned above).

When I was a kid they had this Ghost buster toothpaste with a picture of slimer on it and I LOVED THE STUFF. It tasted freaking amazing just like candy and I would eat it in the bathroom, LOL. So they discontinued it (probably for this very reason) but before that my mom just stopped buying it since it wasn't like a medicine she could lock up (well, she could but it wouldn't stop me from eating instead of brushing, ya know?)

Ultimately, as long as the parent is responsible and keeps the stuff away while the kid is at the age to not understand nothing should be of concern. Nothing wrong with making life a little easier. And if an accident does happen? I believe someone posted above the typical amount in a package  of the children's stuff wouldn't cause death. Might make them sick though (upset stomach).

I mean heck they sell children's pepto and they aren't even supposed to take it (oops on my end!) Accidents happen no matter how cautious you may be. =)

Awe, your poor little cousin! That's definitely no fun for any of you either!

As long as I can give A the medicine that has a cough suppressant in it I can mostly reduce the chances of her getting sick and making a mess. If they had medicines like this instead of having it on the shelf they could just have it behind the pharmacy so parents have to request it, even make it so a prescription is required for safety precautions that children needing this type of medicine can have it instead of having to suffer.

LOL about the toothpaste! I recently caught my 3-year-old eating toothpaste. She swallowed it instead of brushing with it. I've moved all toothpaste to the cabinet so now the girls have to ask for it and I'm there to supervise and help them brush their teeth anyways.

We've given our 5-year-old Pepto Bismol, regular strength. Says so right on the packaging that she can take it and what the dosage is. Could be different that it's an off brand, which is still the same thing. My husband went to the drug store to find something for her and that's what he brought home. I've even given a small bit of that to our pup and she gave me this nasty look afterwards.