I did something Stufftacularly stupid

deboratibi

I apologise in advance for making this topic, but I really need to vent :competitive:

Anyway, I never participate in Stocking Stufftacular for two reasons: I dislike Christmas and I dislike the event format (having to blindly choose your prize before it's released). But I decided I really liked today's item (it's a nice wig and it's not in-your-face Christmas-y) so I brilliantly FORGOT how this event worked, and rushed to the mall to buy a 5-pack. I thought, "Hey, I might like other prizes, so the 5-pack is a better deal. And if I don't, I'll just try to pick out the most decent stuff to keep as trading fodder". But buying the 5-pack wasn't the worst part... The worst part was only realising my mistake after activating it. So now I have no wig and I can't even trade this stupid pack, I have to use it. I have to hang 5 stockings without having any idea of what's going to be in them. So I might get something like... gloves. Or an awkward handheld, or just beautifully designed items like:

clo_flower_house.gif mall_trink_glowinthedarkbd.gifmall_acc_screamer_eyeshade.gif

Ugh.

I know it's no one's fault but my own, but I just wanted to let it out. I suppose I also want to know if anyone has a strategy for this event, or do you go completely random? I'm thinking about hanging 5 in a row in the 3rd or last week, because there's a bonus for hanging 5 in a row plus there's a gift box for hanging one on December 19th or 30th (like there was today).

Oh no Deb, I'm so sorry! 

I don't have any suggestions, since this is my first time participating as well. I have to agree, the idea of blindly choosing your prizes is pretty terrible, and I really hope I don't end up regretting it. 

For what my inexperienced opinion is worth, the strategy you laid out seems pretty good to me. I feel like the best items are likely to come toward the end, and you might as well plan it so that you get the bonus and gift box. 

Awe Deb! This event sure sucks for that reason, which is why even though I have NC this year I'm not participating. I was gifted some NC for my birthday and I'm hoarding that for something great!

Maybe take look at past Stocking Stufftacular years and see what the prizes have been like to see where you might want to risk your stockings.

As far as the gift boxes, in 2013, it was on Dec 31st, not the 30th. But for the most part, they have been on the 30th.  I put one stocking on the first day, because they have usually had nice prizes on the first day, which so far, that has been the nicest, besides the wig.  I love wigs too.  I bought a 10 pack and placed them on the last 10 days.  That way, as you stated, you will get the 5 days in a row bonus prize (In my case, 2 of them) plus your participation bonus item, plus, putting them in a row, you are likely to get something pretty nice.  

One question I have regarding your post, how did you think you would get the wig AFTER it was already released? That was the only part I was confused about.:wacko:

1 hour ago, rntracy1 said:

One question I have regarding your post, how did you think you would get the wig AFTER it was already released? That was the only part I was confused about.:wacko:

Deb clearly stated she forgot that Stocking Stufftacular is different than all the other NC Mall events where you can claim your prize(s) after they've been released.

Also Deb I love your title for the thread! Forgot to mention that earlier.:D

43 minutes ago, Angeló said:

what do u mean by that ? arent there specific gifts for specific days or u get random prizes ?

There are specific prizes for specific dates, but the catch is in order to receive them you have to hang your stocking to be filled prior to it being filled that morning and not knowing what the prize will be. Does that make sense?

NOOOOO! What a bummer. I hate these events that either require you buy a whole pack or that you have to blindly choose your prize. That's why I didn't participate either.

(Angelo what we mean is that you can't wait until seeing a prize is released, think it looks good THEN choose that day's prize. This event you have to hang your stocking in advance for a specific day but you don't know if it'll be something you want or not. Lame!!)

I read this yesterday, but my beleaguered brain couldn't make sense of it at all. Trying again now and the fog's only marginally clearer, but your own bit of foggy brainness has shone a light for me though, Deb. I now know to stay well away from this feature! So thank you for that!

Pretty cold comfort for you, I know! But (kind of) grasping how this works shows me that I'd most definitely do something I regretted if I partook. >_<

So . . . there is a chance that you might get something nice out of this yet?

Also, yes, topic title = win! :D

Thanks guys! I'm feeling a lot better about this situation. Last night someone here kindly surprised me with a gift - the wig!!! :heart:

@kayahtik @Mouseykins @rntracy1 It does seem like the last days would be my best bet, so I think I will hang mine there!

8 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

how did you think you would get the wig AFTER it was already released? That was the only part I was confused about.:wacko:

Because I'm a dumdum :crying_anim: lol

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

So . . . there is a chance that you might get something nice out of this yet?

There is! I could actually get something I really love. But I might also hang my stockings on certain days, and then find out that the things I would have liked the most were in different stockings. I just hope that even if I get stuff that I don't like (which is quite likely to happen, since these are Holiday themed prizes), that they will be at least nice enough to trade. If they're junk, everyone will have them UFT and virtually no one will be seeking them.

6 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

Also Deb I love your title for the thread! Forgot to mention that earlier.:D

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Also, yes, topic title = win! :D

lol thanks! At first the title was just going to be "I did something stupid", but then I figured I should make it sound less serious (and somehow more on-topic) :laugh: 

6 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

There are specific prizes for specific dates, but the catch is in order to receive them you have to hang your stocking to be filled prior to it being filled that morning and not knowing what the prize will be. Does that make sense?

so u cant get gifts in retrospect ? i/e yesterdays or last week's ?

2 minutes ago, Angeló said:

so u cant get gifts in retrospect ? i/e yesterdays or last week's ?

Nope. You hang your stocking the night before, and the item it gives is a surprise. You can't go back and hang a stocking for a day that already passed. 

It's really annoying, since my usual strategy with NC events like this is to wait until the last day, see which of all the items I want, and buy a pack with the correct number of stockings/tickets/chests/what have you. 

I'm actually surprised TNT does it this way. I get the whole surprise thing with the gifts, but you would think that since people are paying real money for this they would make sure there's a way for you to get the items you actually want.

I'm torn about how I feel about how this works; because on the one hand it's EXACTLY how hanging a stocking does work, so it's just how it should be, but yeah, on the other hand there's that risk of getting something you don't like when you've paid cash to play.

But then again, you know this before you play . . . soo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*ponders*

Yeah, ok, I got it. Just because someone's paid NC to play, doesn't make them entitled to items that they're going to like, so I got no problem with how this works. :D I'd play it myself if the items weren't festive. I don't mind winter stuff, but I don't want items with pointless holly etc. additions, lol.

10 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I'm torn about how I feel about how this works; because on the one hand it's EXACTLY how hanging a stocking does work, so it's just how it should be, but yeah, on the other hand there's that risk of getting something you don't like when you've paid cash to play.

But then again, you know this before you play . . . soo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*ponders*

Yeah, ok, I got it. Just because someone's paid NC to play, doesn't make them entitled to items that they're going to like, so I got no problem with how this works. :D I'd play it myself if the items weren't festive. I don't mind winter stuff, but I don't want items with pointless holly etc. additions, lol.

Yeah, it's just like if you go to a store irl and buy a mystery box/bag.  Or even go to the nc mall and get a mystery box/bag, except those have a fairly finite number of things they *could* have, which can be tracked.  But, pretending that communication between users didn't exist, you'd know the theme of it, but not the exact item you'll get.

44 minutes ago, balloongal247 said:

Yeah, it's just like if you go to a store irl and buy a mystery box/bag.  Or even go to the nc mall and get a mystery box/bag, except those have a fairly finite number of things they *could* have, which can be tracked.  But, pretending that communication between users didn't exist, you'd know the theme of it, but not the exact item you'll get.

It would be interesting if you could compare the disappointment ratio of those store mystery bags to the NC equivalents, lol.

Am I being overly cynical in thinking that stores use those kind of things as a means to get rid of stuff they can't sell . . . :ph34r:

Just so we're clear, I don't feel like I was tricked in any way, and don't mean to complain about the event. This event isn't new, and has always worked the same way (as far as I can remember). As I said before, I'm not a fan of the event because of the format and theme, but I don't object to its existence. It seems a lot of people are satisfied with it, and most people are aware of the risks; same thing with the mystery capsules you guys mentioned. I for one, always buy a full pack for Haunted Hijinks as soon as the event begins, even though I could wait to see what the prizes are going to be. But I love Halloween so much that I don't even feel like I'm risking anything; for every meh prize, there's going to be several others I like, and by participating everyday, I get a bonus. So I guess people who love Christmas probably see SS the same way. 

The only reason this happened is because I had an impulsive derp moment... Otherwise, I would have remembered to ignore this event, just like I do every year

So, the point of this thread was to vent about my mistake, and ask for advice on how to make the best of this situation. :P