Key Quest taken down entirely now

acmerasta

When last has anyone checked out Key Quest? I had a few keys remaining. I kept them for when I needed Eo Codestones and I had 5 gold and 21 silver remaining. When i went today, I saw this message: "Keyquest is not active and token redemption is not possible at this time." :sad: Do you think it means that they are working on it and that it's coming back soon? Have they taken it down to replace it with the new improved version? Will we get to beta test it? Or should we hold a requiem mass because it's gone forever? Was there any hint in the news lately? I can't remember seeing anything.... 

It's sad, you can still find it listed in the Games Room when you search but then that message you said appears instead of the infinite loading screen. :( I've honestly lost all hope we'll ever get it back. I think it's so foolish/irresponsible how they lost it in the server move. It's definitely one of my least favorite things that has happened to Neopets in the last few years resulting from the sale.

I also loved Key Quest. I didn't play it right away it took me at least 2 years before I felt comfortable enough to play against other players. I'm not sure what the fear about playing against others was exactly but once I did I had so much fun. I'm sorry it's gone and I'm sorry my habi is gone. K SARA SARA

22 hours ago, acmerasta said:

When last has anyone checked out Key Quest? I had a few keys remaining. I kept them for when I needed Eo Codestones and I had 5 gold and 21 silver remaining. When i went today, I saw this message: "Keyquest is not active and token redemption is not possible at this time." :sad: Do you think it means that they are working on it and that it's coming back soon? Have they taken it down to replace it with the new improved version? Will we get to beta test it? Or should we hold a requiem mass because it's gone forever? Was there any hint in the news lately? I can't remember seeing anything.... 

It's hard to tell, at this point. At least they put something up on the KeyQuest page, instead of the game trying to load. However, since you mentioned the news, there was a question poised in today's (26 January 2018) Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 814, 26th day of Sleeping, Y20, Question #2:

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=814

My dearest and loveliest Scrappy, I must say that I see a lot of "it's on our list!" and "it's coming soon!" in the editorial. While I am sure my fellow Neopians are excited to see our favorite things are on the list for a return - or a first time return..er...you get what I mean - I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to kind of be aware of an order! Is it possible to tell us the top 5 things you guys are working on right now and we can expect to see in 2018? I'm desperate for data, here, my cookie-loving friend. Throw a vampire a bone? ISONEOFTHEMKEYQUESTCOUGH? :) ~vampire_bloodraven
So, I'm glad that you brought this up! We were going over Battledome in particular and looking at certain possibilities to add/fix when we decided, why not just get your opinions on it??
To do this, sometime early next we are going to release some sort of a survey so you guys can vote on your top priorities and we can move froward from there! We want to get you guys more involved and this seems like a good way to do it!!

So, it could be a possibility that it may come back, as they did say - "at this time". I, however, (my opinion only) do not believe they are "working" on it, at this time. I think we may have a better idea when the "survey" is released. If KeyQuest is listed, then I'd think it would be a positive sign at a return. If it is not listed, then we should start looking at plots and tombstones, thinking of epitaphs, planning a date for the requiem mass, and finding someone to officiate...

Well I do like this idea of a survey!

Though hopefully it won't just be a choice of pre-selected things, an "other" type of option where you can fill in your own preference is a must really.

I mean I haven't lost hope for it, if the random contest can come back why can't Keyquest. I mean look how long that took to come back. I'm sure we'll get it back as it hasn't been said that it's gone forever.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:03 AM, maypls said:

It's sad, you can still find it listed in the Games Room when you search but then that message you said appears instead of the infinite loading screen. :( I've honestly lost all hope we'll ever get it back. I think it's so foolish/irresponsible how they lost it in the server move. It's definitely one of my least favorite things that has happened to Neopets in the last few years resulting from the sale.

It was there up to December. You could go directly to the key redemption room. But now it's gone entirely :(  I didnt know it was lost during the server move though. I thought they took it down to fix.

12 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

So, it could be a possibility that it may come back, as they did say - "at this time". I, however, (my opinion only) do not believe they are "working" on it, at this time. I think we may have a better idea when the "survey" is released. If KeyQuest is listed, then I'd think it would be a positive sign at a return. If it is not listed, then we should start looking at plots and tombstones, thinking of epitaphs, planning a date for the requiem mass, and finding someone to officiate...

So after all the false hope they gave us by previously promising us soon and they haven't forgotten it, they finally admit, they haven't really been working on it. If so, why remove it now? smh!!!   Anyway, I hope we can vote for Key Quest. But whats the possibility we can also ask for Habitarium to return? Or is that asking for too much? lol

I believe Habitarium was in collaboration with another company. Since they've been taken over Habi is down because of legal issues. So I don't have much hope for that one returning but hey, you never know! Maybe in the future they can make something similar or maybe when the contract or whatever legal reason there was expires they can bring it back (if they want to spend the time in it).

Key Quest was fun too though! And on top of the few neopoints you got, you could also get some awesome prizes! I am curious about this voting list though! It will give us a nice idea of what they want to bring back, we can vote for the order but just knowing what might/will come back in the future would be so cool! Things to look forward to!

6 hours ago, acmerasta said:

It was there up to December. You could go directly to the key redemption room. But now it's gone entirely :(  I didnt know it was lost during the server move though. I thought they took it down to fix.

So after all the false hope they gave us by previously promising us soon and they haven't forgotten it, they finally admit, they haven't really been working on it. If so, why remove it now? smh!!!   Anyway, I hope we can vote for Key Quest. But whats the possibility we can also ask for Habitarium to return? Or is that asking for too much? lol

TBH, whenever they were asked about KeyQuest, they never really said anything, except maybe a "we're looking into it", or a "we would like to bring it back" sort of thing. So, I agree with they "haven't forgotten about it" part, but not the "working on it", as they never really said they were. I do believe they want to bring it back, but because of how complicated it might be, it just isn't a priority. Case in point:

Hi!(: Are there any new Key Quest updates? Will the game ever be back at this point? ~ snow_rosette

Hi! Unfortunately there’s not much to say, except that our plan has always been to bring Keyquest back and that hasn’t changed. We know how much you guys miss it and we really do want to bring it back for you. However before that happens, we’ve needed to focus on things like defeating that pesky lag once and for all and some other updates the site needs. It’s on our radar though, so please just keep being patient and bear with us!

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=687

Hi Country Queen! *passes over a freshly baked apple pie* I know that Key Quest is currently being worked on, although not as a priority, and we do appreciate the effort that is being put forth by the team to improving site condition. In the meantime, could there possibly be a re-release of retired key quest tokens in the NC mall to help quell our dampening moods? A lot of us have missed out on several of the gold,silver and specific character tokens because of real life priorities but it would be really awesome if we could be given a fair chance at obtaining them as well. Something to keep us hopeful at least (: Please remove my username.

Ooooooh, pieeeee. *digs in* So, that's something we could definitely be open to doing when Keyquest comes back, but we're reluctant to release any new ones (or re-release retired ones) until then because for those who don't know it's down at the moment, we don't want them buying tokens they can't use. We've left the ones that are currently in the mall there, but we're not releasing any new ones just yet.

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=713

Hi CQ! *gives plate full of faerie cookie sandwiches* You guys are doing amazing with keeping us up to date with new news and all that, but I was just wondering.. What's going on with Key Quest? We haven't heard back for a while and the Key Quest board is trying to figure it out! Keep up the good work!! ~ agentcpfan
Hi! Despite the lovely cookies, I have no new news for you guys on Keyquest. I know I know, I can hear the collective sighs from here, but I promise you'll know an update/ball park as soon as we do.

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=722

Why remove it now? I guess so new and returning players will know that KeyQuest is (still) not back, and not get upset about buying KeyQuest tokens they can't redeem. And people will stop asking if KeyQuest is back. Before they took it down, when you went to KeyQuest, it would try to load. I think that generated a lot of tickets and people thinking it was back.

5 hours ago, Duma said:

I believe Habitarium was in collaboration with another company. Since they've been taken over Habi is down because of legal issues. So I don't have much hope for that one returning but hey, you never know! Maybe in the future they can make something similar or maybe when the contract or whatever legal reason there was expires they can bring it back (if they want to spend the time in it).

Key Quest was fun too though! And on top of the few neopoints you got, you could also get some awesome prizes! I am curious about this voting list though! It will give us a nice idea of what they want to bring back, we can vote for the order but just knowing what might/will come back in the future would be so cool! Things to look forward to!

I believe you are correct, that when Viacom had KeyQuest created, it was through a "third-party" and due to Viacom selling Neopets, there were legal issues. From my understanding, because of that, KeyQuest wasn't part of the take-over deal.

TNT has clearly stated that Habitarium is not coming back. That's why we got the Habi theme and gifts. Not sure why people are hoping it will return.

As for KeyQuest, I heard that the "back-end" was coded in Java. I remember the "front-end" - the portion you saw the game board in, was done with Adobe Flash. As most know, Flash is going away and will be gone in 2020. If they are going to bring back KeyQuest, they might have to bring it back from scrath, using HTML5 standards and maybe a different back end. There is a lot more than just that, too. Server space, server load, what software/code the server can run, how much the standards have changed from the old code to new, if employees know how to code in Java or a different language, etc. I think it's much too complicated for JumpStart to figure out, right now. It might not be as something as simple sounding as "just port it to another language". That's why I'm saying if I see it on the "survey", then I'll believe they are serious about wanting to bring it back.

I remember it was promised that Key Quest would be back approximately 2 weeks after the server move was completed, which, you know, didn't happen. Habitarium, on the other hand, was made by another company and couldn't be brought back after the move.

I was losing hope for KQ, but it seems like they're at least doing some work on it now that the site has some new management. Like Scoobert said, I imagine they've got a LOT of work to do, since it's not as easy as just porting it to another coding language and being done with it.

They've also got those Key Quest tokens in the NC mall, which I imagine could be a good source of profit if they bring KQ back up, soooooo

I wonder if you heard my resigned, frustrated sigh from over there @Scoobert_Doo? LOL

But seriously, KQ was one game that truly allowed for greater site interaction with members from all over.  More so than game challenges. I hope they are serious and that it really is in the cards. Game programmers/ coders aren't hard to find and if they really are serious, they might consider investing in additional talent to get the job done. Or, create something similar. Since they already have work to do on existing Flash games, KQ could be added to the list of Flash things to fix. All we can do is hope at this point. And yeah, I wish I'd gone back sooner to finish using my keys.... now they're probably lost forever. 

• 1 month later...

KQ may be on low priority because 1. It would take a while to find its essential files and put them back into the system, which holds it back even more. 2. The rest of the site needs fixing, there are still some glitches.

Vent: I have faith in JS, and all of you should too. I remember when JS first started working for Neo, everyone was like, "UUUUUUGH WE WANT THE OLD TNT". Just stop with that. Just because it's JumpStart, doesn't mean we should just give up on Neopets. I am sure they are gonna work on KQ when they feel that they are ready to start working on it. All the JS haters need to stop fussing. THAT is what makes me angry. I don't like change either, but geez, give them some time, they are still new to the whole TNT work ethic.

Edited by NeoStep
Changed one of my things, this is not directed at anyone, it is a vent.

2 hours ago, NeoStep said:

KQ may be on low priority because 1. It would take a while to find its essential files and put them back into the system, which holds it back even more. 2. The rest of the site needs fixing, there are still some glitches.

Vent: I have faith in JS, and all of you should too. I remember when JS first started working for Neo, everyone was like, "UUUUUUGH WE WANT THE OLD TNT". Just stop with that. Just because it's JumpStart, doesn't mean we should just give up on Neopets. I am sure they are gonna work on KQ when they feel that they are ready to start working on it. All the JS haters need to stop fussing. THAT is what makes me angry. I don't like change either, but geez, give them some time, they are still new to the whole TNT work ethic.

I don't dislike JS. I don't dislike change. What I do dislike is the fact that I keep spending real money on stuff that quits working after I purchase it. I have bought several + KQ tokens that are now useless unless they fix it. I can not begin to tell you how much I spent on my Habi, well I guess I could give you an idea if I went though the NC Album. All I know is there should be some kind of compensation for all the real money I spent (we spent) if they are going to shut this stuff down and not reopen it. This too is just a vent.

6 minutes ago, Granny63020 said:

I don't dislike JS. I don't dislike change. What I do dislike is the fact that I keep spending real money on stuff that quits working after I purchase it. I have bought several + KQ tokens that are now useless unless they fix it. I can not begin to tell you how much I spent on my Habi, well I guess I could give you an idea if I went though the NC Album. All I know is there should be some kind of compensation for all the real money I spent (we spent) if they are going to shut this stuff down and not reopen it. This too is just a vent.

Thank you for your input. I apologize if I did sound a bit over the top with the vent. I know some people are a little mad at JS for not providing compensation for at least Habitarium, but as for Key Quest, it is unknown if it really will shut down.

4 hours ago, NeoStep said:

I personally never played KeyQuest, so I don't really mind that it's gone, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be slightly annoyed with JS, and not because they don't like change, but because after four years JS still seems like they're new to it, while they really should have some things figured out by now. Or, at the very least, communicate things better. There's not liking change*, and there's realising things changed because they're not working as well as they used to. (That last part applies to me; I didn't really know JS had taken over Neopets, until things started changing around the site, and not necessarily for the better.) As a software engineer, I'm well aware that it takes some (or even a lot) of time to get to know your way around someone else's code, but they could've chosen not to lay off almost everyone who used to work there. And again, it's been four years since they took over.

But the point I actually wanted to make, before I googled Jumpstart to see how long they'd been running Neopets and got slightly distracted, was this: people who are complaining, are people who still care. :smile: They still have hope the site will improve. (People who no longer care/think the game is doomed, will just leave.) It may seem negative sometimes, but (most) people are only complaining in the hopes it'll make things better. :)

* There's a chance there really are some (or a lot) of people out there who actually don't like change, because they (well, we) grew up with the game. It's easy to become emotionally invested/attached to things that you've known and loved throughout your childhood & teenage years, and to be upset when they change (especially if it's not necessarily a positive change). I've literally had my account for half my life (in a couple of months my account will be older than I was when I made it), and if I'd been more active on it during high school, I think I could easily have become the kind of person who'd have hated even the thought of JS taking over the game.

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

I personally never played KeyQuest, so I don't really mind that it's gone, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be slightly annoyed with JS, and not because they don't like change, but because after four years JS still seems like they're new to it, while they really should have some things figured out by now. Or, at the very least, communicate things better. There's not liking change*, and there's realising things changed because they're not working as well as they used to. (That last part applies to me; I didn't really know JS had taken over Neopets, until things started changing around the site, and not necessarily for the better.) As a software engineer, I'm well aware that it takes some (or even a lot) of time to get to know your way around someone else's code, but they could've chosen not to lay off almost everyone who used to work there. And again, it's been four years since they took over.

But the point I actually wanted to make, before I googled Jumpstart to see how long they'd been running Neopets and got slightly distracted, was this: people who are complaining, are people who still care. :smile: They still have hope the site will improve. (People who no longer care/think the game is doomed, will just leave.) It may seem negative sometimes, but (most) people are only complaining in the hopes it'll make things better.

* There's a chance there really are some (or a lot) of people out there who actually don't like change, because they (well, we) grew up with the game. It's easy to become emotionally invested/attached to things that you've known and loved throughout your childhood & teenage years, and to be upset when they change (especially if it's not necessarily a positive change). I've literally had my account for half my life (in a couple of months my account will be older than I was when I made it), and if I'd been more active on it during high school, I think I could easily have become the kind of person who'd have hated even the thought of JS taking over the game.

Good point, Nielo. Thank you.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please keep posts seven words or greater.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.