Nay for Jury Duty

WhiteWolf

I've been selected for the jury pool tomorrow. I have to be there at 8, so I have to leave a little before 7. I just hope they don't pick me, and I can get out of there early. I'm taking either my book or tablet so I have something good to read. The movies they show are the worst! Here's the icing on the cake: Can I have fair skies for the two-block walk from the train station to the building? No way! 60% chance of rain. Looks like I'll be packing an umbrella as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, maybe you won't get selected!

Last year I was a "reserve juror" and basically had to just be available in case they needed more people. I wasn't needed, and now they can't bother me for another few years. :P Good luck!

*Edit: Just saw how old this post is. So, I hope that if you did get picked, that it wasn't too horrible/inconvenient!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:41 PM, WhiteWolf said:

I guess I lucked out, because I wasn't picked. At least I got to go out for lunch!

I had Jury Duty too, on March 9th. I didn't get picked for the Jury either. Yay, and I got out of there BEFORE lunch.  That never happens.  I don't know how often they select you for JD in your area, but here it is every 3 years and when selected, you can postpone it for 1 year.  So, if it is the same, you and I will have it again around the same time.  :ohno01:

I wonder if there's any person on earth who's heart doesn't sink when called for jury duty? xD

Surely some people must enjoy it though, right? Law of averages and all that.

I've not been stuck with it so far, if I did get the letter, would I be able to get out of it because of my MS? It's certainly not something that I'd be able to manage for more than one day.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, jellysundae said:

I wonder if there's any person on earth who's heart doesn't sink when called for jury duty? xD

Surely some people must enjoy it though, right? Law of averages and all that.

I've not been stuck with it so far, if I did get the letter, would I be able to get out of it because of my MS? It's certainly not something that I'd be able to manage for more than one day.

I believe there are medical reasons that you can get out of doing jury duty.  Forgive my asking as I am not familiar with your justice system in GB, do you guys have trial by jury?  They make it sound like it something that is unique to the states.  Anyway, at least here, you can be released from JD for medical reasons, but you have to have valid documentation that follows their guidelines.

12 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

I believe there are medical reasons that you can get out of doing jury duty.  Forgive my asking as I am not familiar with your justice system in GB, do you guys have trial by jury?  They make it sound like it something that is unique to the states.  Anyway, at least here, you can be released from JD for medical reasons, but you have to have valid documentation that follows their guidelines.

Yep, trial by jury's pretty much the same both sides of the pond, I think. Oh hey, let's ask the Goog . . .

Right, let's see how similar things are!

Over here:

• Don't turn up, fine of £1000
  • No pay, but can claim food and travel expenses and for loss of earnings if your employer won't pay you during the time.
  • Can't be on a jury if you've been in prison in the last 10 years

oh wow

If you’re sacked because you do jury service you may be able to claim unfair dismissal.

Well that's nice that you MAY be able to claim unfair dismissal! What kind of employer sacks people for doing something the government requires you to do. o_O 

Seems there's no getting out of it for medical conditions. Or if there is it's not mentioned on the .GOV website.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:40 PM, rntracy1 said:

I had Jury Duty too, on March 9th. I didn't get picked for the Jury either. Yay, and I got out of there BEFORE lunch.  That never happens.  I don't know how often they select you for JD in your area, but here it is every 3 years and when selected, you can postpone it for 1 year.  So, if it is the same, you and I will have it again around the same time.  :ohno01:

I've discovered a pattern to when they pick me. It's always the same year my state ID expires. It can be anywhere between August of the previous year to January of the following year. My birthday is in February.

23 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

I've discovered a pattern to when they pick me. It's always the same year my state ID expires. It can be anywhere between August of the previous year to January of the following year. My birthday is in February.

Hmmm, I will have to pay attention to any pattern.  I haven't noticed anything other than I am called like clockwork AND, I didn't turn in my census so they stripped my voting privileges.  I noticed that as soon as I restored my voting privilege, boom, my jury duty notice was in my mailbox.  I am debating if I really need to vote that badly.  lol.  Does my ONE little vote really count THAT much?  LOL.  Yeah, I guess it's worth jury duty every 3-4 years.  If my son can do boot camp, I can sit in a court room for a couple of hours and get sent home. :wink:

When I went in for Jury Duty, I brought my tablet. I thought I could read the time away, but it turned out the wi-fi connected was extremely bad. If you want to talk a book to Jury Duty, make it a paper one.

7 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

When I went in for Jury Duty, I brought my tablet. I thought I could read the time away, but it turned out the wi-fi connected was extremely bad. If you want to talk a book to Jury Duty, make it a paper one.

That's interesting, see I'd have thought jury members wouldn't be allowed devices that have internet access as they don't want people Tweeting about trials in progress and so forth.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, jellysundae said:

That's interesting, see I'd have thought jury members wouldn't be allowed devices that have internet access as they don't want people Tweeting about trials in progress and so forth.

That could be why my tablet didn't work.

13 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

That could be why my tablet didn't work.

I'd like to hope so, but you never know do you, lol. It doesn't make sense for a judicial building to have a rubbish net connection, unless it's intentionally jammed or something similar.

I'm going to say that's what it was.  My brain is too tired to come up with anything else.

huh, wow, that's weird.  I mean, it totally could be that they don't want you to look up anything about the case.  I was able to use my smart phone while I was there.  We weren't allowed to use them IN the courtroom itself, but we could use them while we were waiting to go it.  But yes, I do recommend a paper book as well because you never know.  Some buildings are just not conducive to wireless signal.