At what point should I upgrade my healer?

Hi friends! I don't often venture into the Battlepedia chat, but I figured this is the best place to get advice. Apologies in advance for my rambles...I'm not 100% sure what information is most relevant to help you all help me.

I exclusively use the BD for 1-player battles, and can beat most opponents within one or two turns without taking any damage thanks to Lens Flare and Warlock's Rage. But I recently went up against the Space Faerie (still trying for that avatar...) and suddenly realized that my Greater Healing Scroll can no longer keep up with my HP since the heavy training I've been doing for the last few months. Ellava's currently at 170hp, and I'm aiming to get her up to 300 within the next two or three months.

It's definitely time to upgrade, but in researching potential alternatives, I keep seeing people say things like 'when you're ready to upgrade to a % healer.' So this is my main question: At what point does a % healer become more useful than a set-amount-of-hp healer?

And some follow-up questions: Which healer would you recommend for me, whether it be % or set? Or should I even bother, since I'm just a casual battler? Are there really any worthwhile upgrades that aren't exorbitantly expensive (say, ~1m or less)?

A % healer becomes useful if the % heals more than your set-amount healer. I switched to Velm's Healing potion when my pet's HP was greater than 500 since it heals 10% and, like you, I was still using the Greater Healing Scroll. Right now I'm using a species specific healer.

I don't know what species your battle pet is (and if it's meant to stay that) but you could look into that too. With 170 you'll need at least a 30% healer for it to be better than your Greater Healing Scroll. (List of 30+ % healers here)

You could use a Rejuvenating Jar of Brains first, which does 60 HP, but I don't know if it will be worth it. There are 50% and even 100% healers, as you could see in the list, but they are rather expensive.

I haven't checked the prices of these but depending on your wishes and the NP you are willing to spend you could also look at these:

Glittery Scorchstone heals 100HP, Rainbow Scorchstone heals 80 HP and Short Sleeved Yellow Tunic heals 75 HP.

Thanks @Duma! That's basically what I'd feared. The prices of those items almost make my heart stop, and I'm definitely not interested in investing nearly that many millions of nps. So far it's looking like my best option will be Velm's Life Potion, which won't do me any better than the Greater Healing Scroll until I'm over 500hp. That will happen eventually as I keep training, but for now I may end up just sticking with my scroll. Unless I decide to start camping out in shops trying to RS a Bag of Healing Dust or a scorchstone. But even if somehow I RSed one myself, I don't think I'd be able to resist the temptation of selling it! :P

Oh, and to answer your question, my battle pet is a Xweetok, and unfortunately morphing her to use a species-specific healer is not on the table at the moment. I wonder what the chances are of TNT releasing more species-specific healers? 

Duma's advice is rock solid. I checked out the Xweetok species equipment, and sadly it's like most species-specific equipment, sorely lacking. Another healer you MIGHT consider is the Ice Scorchstone. If you like to "gamble", it looks like it's a little over 2 mil on the TP, normally you can get it from the Hidden Tower, but with Fyora temporarily out of the picture, you can't buy from the tower at this time. Ice Scorchstone does a FULL heal, BUT, only works about 24% of the time. So it's definitely a gamble. I never considered it worth the price.

I also looked up prices of another healer I used to use, the Short Sleeved Yellow Tunic, 75hp is around 1.5mil-2mil, not really worth it either these days, imho. Bag of Healing Dust does some awesome work. But at 9.5mil-10mil yeah, probably not the best deal for you until your pet gets a lot more HP. Although, the current lowest prices I saw on the TP of 9.5 is pretty cheap compared to what it's been in the past.
I also like Xweetoks, so I hope TNT will release some GOOD species weapons for them someday. :)

Good luck with your training and battling! :)