I was hoping to get help!

I need advice on how to defeat Malum.

My level is 69

Hp is 122

Attack is 169

Defence is 130

Agility is 103

Intelligence is 61

I'd like to beat him on difficult but I haven't been able to. Advice for weapons or battle tricks?

I appreciate any help!!

Train your HP and level up ASAP, if you can. HP can be trained up to 3x your pet's level, which can be useful, but be mindful that there isn't too strong of a difference between your HP and other stats, or you'll have to work hard to get your other stats back up.

Don't focus on Agility - actually, honestly, you don't need to even train it at all.

33 minutes ago, greenegurl said:

The best thing I have found online is the throw pillow method (so train throw pillow and then use it once a day). I'm personally working on training to level 50, so if you do try it, let me know how it goes :)

I'd recommend getting Lens Flare instead as it does exactly the same thing and is the same level requirement, but you can use it once per battle as opposed to once per day. If you don't have it yet, get it right away. It's an incredibly crucial ability to have - being able to completely stun your enemy for just 1 turn can be devastating to the opponent, and might just win you the battle (it's what saved me in the Malum fight).

As for weapons, the plot weapons given out are pretty decent for offensive-type weapons. What's your current kit? Do you have a healer and shield? Protection matters just as much as dealing damage.

14 minutes ago, Duskitty said:

Train your HP and level up ASAP, if you can. HP can be trained up to 3x your pet's level, which can be useful, but be mindful that there isn't too strong of a difference between your HP and other stats, or you'll have to work hard to get your other stats back up.

Don't focus on Agility - actually, honestly, you don't need to even train it at all.

I'd recommend getting Lens Flare instead as it does exactly the same thing and is the same level requirement, but you can use it once per battle as opposed to once per day. If you don't have it yet, get it right away. It's an incredibly crucial ability to have - being able to completely stun your enemy for just 1 turn can be devastating to the opponent, and might just win you the battle (it's what saved me in the Malum fight).

As for weapons, the plot weapons given out are pretty decent for offensive-type weapons. What's your current kit? Do you have a healer and shield? Protection matters just as much as dealing damage.

The Throw Pillow is actually the best strategy for low HSD pets since Malum on Hard is impossible with less than an average of 200+ Hp and 200+ Str. The thing with Lens Flare is it is once per battle, while Throw Pillow is once per day, so you can just attack once a day without even getting hit, as compared to if you have Lens Flare you can only use it once and then he can hit you the next turn. Though the Throw Pillow thing will have you beat Malum on Hard once over the course of a  few days, it is the simplest and most possible way for weaker pets to beat him

3 hours ago, arcblitz16090916 said:

The Throw Pillow is actually the best strategy for low HSD pets since Malum on Hard is impossible with less than an average of 200+ Hp and 200+ Str. The thing with Lens Flare is it is once per battle, while Throw Pillow is once per day, so you can just attack once a day without even getting hit, as compared to if you have Lens Flare you can only use it once and then he can hit you the next turn. Though the Throw Pillow thing will have you beat Malum on Hard once over the course of a  few days, it is the simplest and most possible way for weaker pets to beat him

Throw Pillows only stuns the enemy for 1 turn and then they're able to hit you again, which is the exact same thing that Lens Flare does but on a longer cooldown of being able to use the ability once per day instead of once per battle. I just tested it myself to confirm.

In addition to that, you're only able to train one ability in a single tier, so it's not possible to have both Lens Flare and Throw Pillows equipped at the same time. So if you've got to pick one, you really should go for Lens Flare instead.

7 hours ago, arcblitz16090916 said:

3 hours ago, Duskitty said:

Throw Pillows only stuns the enemy for 1 turn and then they're able to hit you again, which is the exact same thing that Lens Flare does but on a longer cooldown of being able to use the ability once per day instead of once per battle. I just tested it myself to confirm.

In addition to that, you're only able to train one ability in a single tier, so it's not possible to have both Lens Flare and Throw Pillows equipped at the same time. So if you've got to pick one, you really should go for Lens Flare instead.

I think what arc blitz is saying is that if you are a weak opponent you could use throw pillow to beat Malum on hard over the course of a few days... like throw pillows at him once a day for a few days and never take any damage at all. 

49 minutes ago, charelan said:

I think what arc blitz is saying is that if you are a weak opponent you could use throw pillow to beat Malum on hard over the course of a few days... like throw pillows at him once a day for a few days and never take any damage at all. 

Does it really persist over the course of a few days, though? If it works, go for it, but you're better off with Lens Flare in the long run.

Ok, let's see if I'm understanding this correctly . . .

If you use throw pillows you can hit Malum with your 2 strongest weapons and the pillows, thus doing him some damage but he can't do anything to you.

Then go away and come back tomorrow; rinse and repeat until you beat him.

Is that how this works?

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Ok, let's see if I'm understanding this correctly . . .

If you use throw pillows you can hit Malum with your 2 strongest weapons and the pillows, thus doing him some damage but he can't do anything to you.

Then go away and come back tomorrow; rinse and repeat until you beat him.

Is that how this works?

Yes, that's how the Throw Pillow strategy works basically. It's the only way for bare minimum pets to beat challengers like Malum on Hard

8 hours ago, Duskitty said:

Does it really persist over the course of a few days, though? If it works, go for it, but you're better off with Lens Flare in the long run.

Yes, it resets at midnight and you can use it again. But also yes again, Lens Flare is better in general battling. Throw Pillows is only good for these types of conditions where you can't beat the challenger no matter what items you have

his topic has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not double post. Use multiquote button to reply to more than one post or use the EDIT button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, these posts have been MERGED.

I'm doing it personally as well and have hit him twice since he became available FOR REAL. No damage to me, and you can just leave the battle once you do your turn for the day. I'll be finish in another 2/3 days depending on icon rolls. And also boohoo. Forgot to do the Obelisk Challenges before doing it and now i'm stuck and may not be able to battle em -_-

Ok, slapped him for the first time.

You Throw Pillows at Malum and sleep comes quickly.  

You seer the air swinging at Malum with Blazing Embers! Malum howls!

You aim the crystal end of your Fiendish Key at Malum and it emits a purplish beam!

Damage Taken

Now I need to remember to not visit the Healing Springs during this protracted battle, or I'll be getting annoyed with myself. xD

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Right! Once I'm done trouncing the hedgewitch I'm off to get me some pillows! :competitive:

And you my friend, I am disappointed in you:hmmph:.  Not coming to me first.  LOL.  Throw those pillows where they belong, in the trash.  :thumbsdown:The only one who can use the pillows more than once is your opponent.  lol.  You on the other hand, can only use it once per day whereas they can use it several times in ONE BATTLE!  Get rid of the pillows and get lens flare.

11 hours ago, greenegurl said:

The best thing I have found online is the throw pillow method (so train throw pillow and then use it once a day). I'm personally working on training to level 50, so if you do try it, let me know how it goes :)

As Duskitty has already said, throw pillows are not as good as lens flare.  Both have the ability to freeze your opponent for one round, but lens flare can be used EVERY battle whereas throw pillows can only be used once per day.  My advice, get rid of those useless pillows and get lens flare.  You will be much happier.

1 hour ago, rntracy1 said:

And you my friend, I am disappointed in you:hmmph:.  Not coming to me first.  LOL.  Throw those pillows where they belong, in the trash.  :thumbsdown:The only one who can use the pillows more than once is your opponent.  lol.  You on the other hand, can only use it once per day whereas they can use it several times in ONE BATTLE!  Get rid of the pillows and get lens flare.

As Duskitty has already said, throw pillows are not as good as lens flare.  Both have the ability to freeze your opponent for one round, but lens flare can be used EVERY battle whereas throw pillows can only be used once per day.  My advice, get rid of those useless pillows and get lens flare.  You will be much happier.

Oh but Tracy, I don't think I'll be able to beat him using lens flare, I couldn't beat the others on hard without 3 moves and I just kept getting too confused and ending up dead. I use the wrong items in the wrong order and I get in a horrible mess all the time. :blush: My problem these days is I just can't remember which is the stronger weapon, plus I regularly end up using icicles instead of lens flare, even when my absolute intent is to use lens flare and I really try to concentrate on doing that.

Doing it this way I know it's gonna take me 3 days, but at least I'll be able to do it without frying my stupid brain, or ending up losing. :ph34r:

The Throw Pillows strategy really is the best way right now.

Where some people are getting confused is that players using this strategy aren't finishing the battle. They're making their one move (dmg+ThrowPillows to stun him) and then waiting until the next day to make that same move again. They will be able to use Throw Pillows again as it's a new day so they can effectively damage Malum without him ever being able to hit them. They'll repeat this for however many days until Malum is ded meat.

Lens Flare is better in general but for this, Throw Pillows is definitely the way to go for lower leveled pets.

Now go get that Evil Evil Coconut!!!! :arrowhead:

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Oh but Tracy, I don't think I'll be able to beat him using lens flare, I couldn't beat the others on hard without 3 moves and I just kept getting too confused and ending up dead. I use the wrong items in the wrong order and I get in a horrible mess all the time. :blush: My problem these days is I just can't remember which is the stronger weapon, plus I regularly end up using icicles instead of lens flare, even when my absolute intent is to use lens flare and I really try to concentrate on doing that.

Doing it this way I know it's gonna take me 3 days, but at least I'll be able to do it without frying my stupid brain, or ending up losing. :ph34r:

You know I was just giving you a hard time.  If I don't, who will?  LOL.  I was reading up on that throw pillow thing, and wow, amazing.  It will take some time to do it that way, but good luck.  Is your level high enough?  I hope it works out for you.   And don't worry about the healing springs, it will tell you you're in a battle already anyway. :snitch:

The throw pillows never made sense to me.  Why would you want a freezing ability that only worked once per day rather than once per battle?  Now I understand the strategy behind it.  It is nice that when you are done with it, you can switch for another ability.  At least you aren't stuck once you choose one.

**The only thing these people need to be aware of is, if they do anything that effects their HPs, it WILL carry over into the battle.  So, be careful about visiting snowager, the deserted tomb, apple bobbing, qasalan expellibox, or anything else that can take away HPs.  I did not know I was still in battle, got blasted by snowager and it carried into the battle.  Luckily I could freeze every round and had a healer, otherwise it would have been defeat.  So, if you do not have a healer, be careful with this throw pillow strategy.  Just some food for thought.

1 hour ago, rntracy1 said:

You know I was just giving you a hard time.  If I don't, who will?  LOL.  I was reading up on that throw pillow thing, and wow, amazing.  It will take some time to do it that way, but good luck.  Is your level high enough?  I hope it works out for you.   And don't worry about the healing springs, it will tell you you're in a battle already anyway. :snitch:

The throw pillows never made sense to me.  Why would you want a freezing ability that only worked once per day rather than once per battle?  Now I understand the strategy behind it.  It is nice that when you are done with it, you can switch for another ability.  At least you aren't stuck once you choose one.

**The only thing these people need to be aware of is, if they do anything that effects their HPs, it WILL carry over into the battle.  So, be careful about visiting snowager, the deserted tomb, apple bobbing, qasalan expellibox, or anything else that can take away HPs.  I did not know I was still in battle, got blasted by snowager and it carried into the battle.  Luckily I could freeze every round and had a healer, otherwise it would have been defeat.  So, if you do not have a healer, be careful with this throw pillow strategy.  Just some food for thought.

It will hopefully take me 3 battles to defeat him as I did 112 damage the first time, we'll see what I get tomorrow!

My little guy's level's 118. I'm working on his HP right now as I realised that once he hits 120 it'll be 6 codestones rather than 5 so I want to bring his HP up to the same level as his strength and defence.

Yeah it's very nice to be able to switch back the lens flare once I'm done with this! I think we're lucky that lens flare as cheap as it is, because it's so useful I'm kind of surprised it's not a higher level ability.

Yeah the wheel of mediocrity's been trolling me because I can't visit the springs, keep getting the pterodactyl xD But I have a ton of healing potions from kiko pop so it's no big deal. I shall make sure I have full health before fighting tomorrow. :3

Reminder: Throw Pillows reset the next day, which = midnight NST.

Nice thing is, once you are done battling Malum with the Throw Pillows method, you can retrain your Level 50 faerie ability back, or to, Lens Flare. Cost is 8 Light "blessings". If you battle in the Battledome regularly, you may already have enough Weak Bottled Light Faerie items in your SDB. Or, you can find them in user shops. JN currently shows them going for roughly 200 NP.

I was confused at first, but I see what you mean now by the Throw Pillows strat. Wholly agreed with hrtbrk, Lens Flare is indeed better in the long run (and will be more beneficial later on when your pet is well-statted), but if you must, cheese him with Throw Pillows until you win.

I have about 100 of each bottled faerie saved up from battles, so if anyone needs a few, I'm willing to send some your way. Note that you can get more than 1 blessing from a single bottle sometimes.

11 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Reminder: Throw Pillows reset the next day, which = midnight NST.

This is good to know! I was just sat here trying to remember what kind of time I fought him in case I'd need to wait until after that time today, but I'll nip off and smite him now if that isn't the case. :D

You Throw Pillows at Malum and sleep comes quickly.  

You swing the Tyrannian Sceptre's sharp blades in an arc at Malum!

You hurl your Winged Palm Blade in a slicing arc and it flies at Malum!

Damage Taken

I think my prediction of 3 days was wishful thinking though, his health's down to half now.

Cool artwork for Malum, isn't it, and good to see the name has some meaning, too, Google says it's Latin for bad. Soo, that means he's maybe a new permanent villian then? Not just a Lupe who's been turned by the wraith . . .only time will tell I suppose!

I'm starting to stockpile faeries again now, I used them until I had accumulated blessings that should cover my pet up to level 500, and have tucked them away again since, I've got 30+ of most of them again at this point. I might use them again for a while and give him more leeway, right now he's not got enough blessings to be able to play around with the higher level abilities and try them all out.

That is a lot of blessings. You should be safe spending some more of them now, especially since you'll get them from battles as time goes on.
The only reason I have as many bottled faeries as I do is because I battle to the item limit every single day and have been doing so for however many years now, lol. I battle the S750 Kreludan Defender Robot, since he's a fairly easy and rewarding challenger if you want codestones and faeries; he also has the added bonus of giving out Neocola Tokens which you can sell for profit or use them in hopes of getting a transmog potion.

1 hour ago, Duskitty said:

That is a lot of blessings. You should be safe spending some more of them now, especially since you'll get them from battles as time goes on.
The only reason I have as many bottled faeries as I do is because I battle to the item limit every single day and have been doing so for however many years now, lol. I battle the S750 Kreludan Defender Robot, since he's a fairly easy and rewarding challenger if you want codestones and faeries; he also has the added bonus of giving out Neocola Tokens which you can sell for profit or use them in hopes of getting a transmog potion.

Haha, it is a lot of blessings, yeah xD I kept blessing him until he had over 300 of each, I might take him up to 400 now, just because. :laugh:

If a similar situation like Malum arises further down to line, in new plots or whatever, I'd like to have enough in my little guy's back pocket to be able to switch between the higher level abilities at need.

I've got a bunch of bottled faeries in my sdb. I've used them whenever I wanted a new ability but tucked the others away for the future as my pet gets stronger. I'v got almost a 1000 combined and getting more every day from my daily battles lol.

@jellysundae I hope they won't update the event before you defeated him! Who knows what might happen if they do.

1 hour ago, Duma said:

I've got a bunch of bottled faeries in my sdb. I've used them whenever I wanted a new ability but tucked the others away for the future as my pet gets stronger. I'v got almost a 1000 combined and getting more every day from my daily battles lol.

@jellysundae I hope they won't update the event before you defeated him! Who knows what might happen if they do.

There's always a chance that might happen, isn't there, but, considering Malum's only just been activated I suspect I'll be safe with needing 2 more battles to beat him, I don't suppose there'll be another update yet, not considering how things have been done so far. :ph34r: