Fiendish Formations- Let's help each other out.

Aquamentis12

My grids switch back and forth from vertical to horizontal multiple times in each game. I find the horizontal ones easier to do. It resembles a chess board, and somehow that makes it easier for me to mirror the pieces. 

I agree with @Angeló. My game was vertical today, and I definitely play better with it that way. I guess I'm a vertical thinker? Is that right-brain or left-brain? Well, after yesterday's game, I feel more like "no-brain". I did notice that the game does switch, as @kayahtik mentioned. I wonder if I can keep restarting the game over, until I get a "vertical" one? Anyhow, good luck to all on Day 5!

Vertical or horizontal doesn't really make a difference for me as long as I can see the whole board so I can count from either the edge or the middle. I watch the board at first, pick "the hardest part" to begin with and then just go row by row. Haven't made any mistakes if I zoom out enough. Plus with a smaller board, but big enough to easily see the characters, I can click the tiles even faster. Also, I've basically replaced the icons with numbers in my head. Whenever I see a canon I instinctively think 3 and with arrow 2. This way I don't have to think about how many clicks to make.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, Duma said:

don't forget to claim your prize for 4 days on day of release if you played a level every day!

you get: Fiendish Formations Coin image.png.5c795adbabf94136ed94f60958362c86.png

Whew, thanks for that! I hadn't scrolled down and didn't claim this prize yet. Fortunately I found that using a much larger computer screen helped A LOT!!!

Mine keeps switching between horizontal and vertical boards between levels too, I certainly find one less confusing than the other.

DAY 6! Much the same as Day 5 but there is one more decoy and a few more units to place.

I'm grateful that they at least increase the points per round each day, otherwise this would be impossible :bigeyed:

Being a programmer, I did think of the idea of scripting something so the computer will mirror a cursor on the other side of the screen, but I'm sure that is against Neopets rules... Plus it probably take me 2-3 days just to get the coding logic and math down with everything going on around me, and by then it will probably be over. :biggrin:

Although I just had this idea, what if TNT decides to put moving pieces into the game in the next few days. That would really make it hard. I hope they don't. 

22 minutes ago, sunny098 said:

Being a programmer, I did think of the idea of scripting something so the computer will mirror a cursor on the other side of the screen, but I'm sure that is against Neopets rules... Plus it probably take me 2-3 days just to get the coding logic and math down with everything going on around me, and by then it will probably be over. :biggrin:

Although I just had this idea, what if TNT decides to put moving pieces into the game in the next few days. That would really make it hard. I hope they don't. 

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES! That is DEFINITELY a NO-NO. Definitely would be cheating. TNT would freeze your account for that and you'd never get it back. It'd be permafrozen.

It's cool that you can program. I'm glad that your idea is and remains JUST an idea. ;)

LOL Moving pieces? I doubt it, but shhhhhh! Don't give TNT any great ideas. This game is getting difficult enough as it is! ;)

Yeah, I hope TNT doesn't put anything more moving in. The game itself is already stressing my Macbook enough with the fan kicked up to the max that I had to go complete it on my desktop PC that I use for video editing. Not sure what in the game is being so resource intensive.

3 hours ago, sunny098 said:

Yeah, I hope TNT doesn't put anything more moving in. The game itself is already stressing my Macbook enough with the fan kicked up to the max that I had to go complete it on my desktop PC that I use for video editing. Not sure what in the game is being so resource intensive.

God, I hope they don't add a 2nd assassin, that would royally STINK!

WOW! Are you sure it's just the game that's working your macbook into overdrive? I use a PC but I haven't checked to see if it jumps my browser's resource use up. It doesn't sound like the fans are running any harder inside the tower. You edit videos too? Sounds cool!

My guess would maybe be the size of the game's dimensions. I usually zoom out to play, but I have to do zoom out several times to get JUST the game screen in my view, does not show me above or below the field when i'm playing. Zooming doesn't do anything for the resources used, I don't think. If anything though, I'd imagine they would cause an increase because, but perhaps not. lol

Well, level 7 isn't unlocked yet for the day. Since I was having a bit of insomnia I thought I might give level 7 a whirl. I guess it'll have to wait until later. Good luck with level 7!

11 hours ago, Aquamentis12 said:

God, I hope they don't add a 2nd assassin, that would royally STINK!

16 hours ago, sunny098 said:

EEK, don't give them any more fiendish ideas haha! 

Just completed day 7 - 1 assassin, 2 decoys and 12-16 units to place. As I said on a previous day, don't be afraid to restart levels as you often end up with an easier board :D

4 minutes ago, lojoco49 said:

EEK, don't give them any more fiendish ideas haha! 

Just completed day 7 - 1 assassin, 2 decoys and 12-16 units to place. As I said on a previous day, don't be afraid to restart levels as you often end up with an easier board :D

Nice play on words! I'm still hoping they don't add anything NEW for Day8, but it WOULD be JUST LIKE TNT to do that, the stinkers! LOL

14 minutes ago, Aquamentis12 said:

I'm still hoping they don't add anything NEW for Day8, but it WOULD be JUST LIKE TNT to do that, the stinkers! LOL

:ohmy: They WOULDN'T! ...would they?! Lol, guess we'll just have to wait and see.  I'll get my big girl panties ready in case I have to put them on to deal with it :rambo:

10 hours ago, slinky332 said:

Welp, that was frustrating. First time I've had to restart the board. Yeesh. 8 should be interesting.

You never had to restart before? Impressive. I find myself restarting whenever I feel I've been staring at the board forever, or if the assassin keeps killing too many of my guys. But I feel restarting has only increased my score, so maybe I've been doing it more than I would have if it had a negative impact, or no impact, on my score. (Or maybe I just think it's increased my score. Either way, it doens't seem to have a negative effect on the game's results.)

This game is soooooooo stressful!! After playing the first level on the first day I thought the idea of mirroring pieces was kind of ridiculous and super easy. Boy was I wrong. It doesn't even matter if I've been doing fine and probably would achieve the gold medal, I just get so frustrated when the assassin eats up a piece or I get stuck so I just restart. But it is satisfying once you do get the medal.

16 minutes ago, BEE. said:

Yay! You get an avatar for clearing all areas on the day they were attacked :)

Yup this cutie  fiendishformations.gif

Thankfully no second assassin on day 8, but it was intense with up to 18 units to place!! So glad that's over. I think I'll go have a lie down now...

I quite liked this game, I hope it sticks around after the plot. Of course it took me to the second to last board of the final day to come up with a strategy that worked far better than what I'd done before; I used to go per column (if that makes sense), while going per row* turned out to be way more efficient/less confusing (at least for me).

*Row, as in, I'd first place all the ones directly adjacent to the enemies, then the ones on the second row, etc.