Yay, son is doing well in Basic Combat Training

rntracy1

So, as most of you all know, my son went into the Army, Basic Training, January 15th.  The first week was called ceremonies, and was an introductory period for him where he got his shots, head shaved, uniforms, and things like that.  The nice thing about it was, for the first week, he had his cell phone and was able to text with me in the evenings.  He had never really been away from home before, so while I was getting used to the difficulty of him being away, and he was getting used to being away, we were able to communicate daily.  That helped ease us into it.  The past couple of weeks have been pretty difficult. I've only received one text from him telling me he loved me and giving me his address.  I have received a few letters however.  In one of his letters he explained that when he text me, he had tried calling me but did not have signal:sad02:. Because he only had a minute or two, he wanted to make sure he connected with me, so he sent a text.  In a way, it may have been better that I didn't speak with him. IDK if I would have been able to let him go. He is having a rough time and doesn't need to hear me cry.  I also received a letter from the Army stating that the soldiers may have thoughts of wanting to give up and question their decision to enlist. So be supportive, encouraging, and remind them of all the reasons they joined.  So, anyway, in his letters, he has expressed how rough it is and thoughts of wanting to give up, but he met another guy from our area who went to school here in the same city!  They have become very good friends and are helping each other get through the rough spots.  

He says he is eating well and getting in better shape but that his body is very sore.  One of his letters said, "13 days down, only 7-1/2 weeks to go!" Lol.:thumbsup:  I have my hotel room booked already for his graduation, March 29th.  I was told they fill up quickly, to do it now.  So I did that.  That is NOT like me AT ALL, I am such a procrastinator. lol. I really can't wait to see him.  I am so excited.  I miss him so much.  He sounds like he is doing really well, just really been put to the test, mentally and physically.  I knew it would be rough, but I know he can do it.  I can too. I am counting the days as well. 

This is all sounding greatly reassuring. :D I wonder if a lot of that wish to give up and come home is all part of dealing with such a complete change to their life; but once they realise that despite this complete change they're doing fine (with any luck doing great!), they're meeting challenges and not being beaten by them, etc. they start to feel more confident and regain a bit of equilibrium. 

It's good to hear that he says he's eating well, I know you mentioned previously there were worries about not being able to eat whenever he wanted. But let's face it, this is an army camp FULL of young guys. They're going to be all too aware of the prodigious appetites they have, lol. The food bills for this place must be eye-watering. xD

4 hours ago, jellysundae said:

This is all sounding greatly reassuring. :D I wonder if a lot of that wish to give up and come home is all part of dealing with such a complete change to their life; but once they realise that despite this complete change they're doing fine (with any luck doing great!), they're meeting challenges and not being beaten by them, etc. they start to feel more confident and regain a bit of equilibrium. 

It's good to hear that he says he's eating well, I know you mentioned previously there were worries about not being able to eat whenever he wanted. But let's face it, this is an army camp FULL of young guys. They're going to be all too aware of the prodigious appetites they have, lol. The food bills for this place must be eye-watering. xD

I can imagine the bills for a LOT of things in the Army.  But my good ole taxes are paying the way.  lol.  I think the desire to give up is partly the big change of lifestyle, the total surrender to authority, the loss of your own identity, being home sick, and for my son, his body is very sore.  He is dealing with shin splints real bad.  He had them before he left home and they have gotten worse.  I hear about them in every letter and there is nothing I can do to help him.  I am going to send him a care package.  Maybe some aspercreme or Bengay. lol

10 hours ago, lakecat said:

Thanks for the update Tracy. It's good to hear that he is adjusting (and that you are, too). Basic training is supposed to be hard, as you know. That's what makes soldiers. I'm glad he is making friends there too. 

Yes I know, and actually I'm glad that the training is hard because, like you say, it's what makes soldiers, and as we ALL KNOW, the United States Military is the best in the world!!! Sorry Jelly!!! lol. But of course, if not for Great Britain, the US wouldn't be what we are, so thanks to them too. 

13 hours ago, charelan said:

Aw, Tracy, it's great to hear he's been doing well. It must be so hard to just have to wait for communication, but it sure sounds like he knows what a great support he has in you at home!

Yes, it IS very hard to have to wait, but then I think about HIM and ALL HE HAS is time to wait for my letters, food, and HARD WORK!!! So I know I have it MUCH easier than he does.  Come to think of it, I just reminded myself of why I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for his letters and get so excited when they arrive.  lol.  This is my routine when I get his letters (I usually get a bunch at once as they receive and send mail only once per week:mellow:). I come home from work, go to the mailbox, see about 3 letters from him.  A big smile grows across my face:thumbsup:.  People in the neighborhood think *hmmmm, what did SHE just get in the mail:unsure:*? I go in the house, put all my stuff down.  Brew a cup of coffee so I can sit, relax, and read my letters.  Get my notebook, pen, envelopes, and stamps.  Carefully go through each line of his letters, answer as I read along.  About 4 pages later, I realize I need to stop yacking away and finally shut up, fold my letter and mail it.