Yay for adopting two brother kitties, nay for the difficult adjustment period

FreakyBowie

This past Saturday, my boyfriend and I brought home some real life pets: two brother cats named Captain and Jack. They are rescues that were found in a boat in someone's backyard, hence their cute nautical/piratey names. They are gorgeous-- one is completely gray, the other is gray and white. 

I'm excited, but feeling the blues about the whole acclimation process. Mostly the uncertainty of it. It's only been about two and a half days, but I really hope they adjust well and begin to see us as friends rather than creeps encroaching upon their unfamiliar territory. 

I've never adopted a cat before. Last summer I had to make the difficult choice to put down my childhood cat of 15 years, who developed an aggressive tumor. I finally decided I was ready for kitties again. This is a totally new experience for me, because the only cats I've had were family pets that I grew up with. 

Send good vibes our way! I know the process tends to take at least 1-2 weeks, but often longer. I just want them to love us! :arrowhead:

For me, the hardest thing about that adjustment period is resisting the urge to smother them in love. Most cats will like it better if they can approach you at their own pace and on their terms.... but it's so tempting to pick them up and give them a big hug!

I'm sure they're glad they got to stay together, and that should help them feel more comfortable.

That brings back memories.  I had a kitty named Captain too.  He was the best kitty in the whole world.  I won't get into that whole story but you are going to be GREAT!  They are going to adapt real quick and you are going to be a happy little family.  That is so awesome.  

One day, my son was cleaning the yard and found a tiny baby kitten in the window well. He didn't even have his eyes open yet.  The sad thing is, there was a bunch of dead cats and kittens of various ages in various stages of decomp.  Obviously this kitty was left there to die.  I couldn't allow that so I took him in.  We went to the pet store, bought a bottle and formula for him.  He was too little for the nipple.  I fed him with an eye dropper.  He didn't eat much though.  After a few days he got very weak. We took him to the vet, they gave him fluids Itraosseous (into the bone) because his veins were too tiny.  But his blood sugar was too low and wasn't improving.  I was on my way to the vet to see him when they called to say he passed away.  I was so sad, his eyes still hadn't opened yet, but I took comfort in the fact that he didn't die in that window well alone.  He had a family who loved him for 4 days and did everything we could for him. I think his mom dumped him because something was wrong and she knew it.  That's sad though.  I don't know how a mom could that to their child.  

You rescued your kitties from a feral life of having to fend for themselves and survive the elements.  They are going to be perfect.  Congratulations!

8 hours ago, sajixx said:

For me, the hardest thing about that adjustment period is resisting the urge to smother them in love. Most cats will like it better if they can approach you at their own pace and on their terms.... but it's so tempting to pick them up and give them a big hug!

I'm sure they're glad they got to stay together, and that should help them feel more comfortable.

Exactly. I want so badly to snuggle them, but I know that doing so would ruin any progress we've made in the past few days. They do seem just slightly happier today.

I also should note that they're about ten months old, and were fostered by a lady for a while. So, I'm not getting them fresh off the boat, if you will. :P They were named by either the network or the foster, but we decided to keep their names. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck! They will probably warm up to you before you know it. :) I just adopted a kitty a few months ago and I was really worried she wouldnt get used to me either lol. After a day or two of being at home, she warmed right up to me and stopped sleeping under my bed. Now she always cuddles up with me and my boyfriend when we sleep. :)