No cheap stocks for (most of) you lot!

jellysundae

So I've just bought my stocks for 10np each - thank you so much Obelisk! and I noticed something interesting.

Look at the huge amount more people who have bought at 15 or over compared to those who've used the Cheaper by the Dozen boon.

2.gif SKEI Skeith Feeding Ltd. 18600 11 9 -18.18%
19.gif DROO Dice-A-Roo Industries PLC. 34200 8 10 +25.00%
23.gif POWR Power-X Corp. 71350 9 10 +11.11%
7.gif SSS Super Splime Shakes 13550 10 10 +0.00%
4.gif BUZZ Buzz-A-Way Insect Removal 41800 10 10 +0.00%
22.gif PDSS PD Secure Storage 0 12 11 -8.33%
21.gif CYBU Cybun Electromatics 0 14 13 -7.14%
12.gif TAG The Auction Genie 1000 12 13 +8.33%
9.gif SKBD Skeith Bodyguards Inc. 235483 15 13 -13.33%
22.gif SWNC Shop Wizard N-Commerce 0 13 13 +0.00%
22.gif MYNC Mynci Banana Imports 2300 12 13 +8.33%
7.gif TNPT The Neopian Times 2000 14 13 -7.14%
5.gif BB Breadmaster Bakeries 267066 15 14 -6.67%
22.gif COFL Confederation of Fish Lovers 612728 15 15 +0.00%
14.gif TPP The Presidential Palace 344164 14 15 +7.14%
16.gif TSRC The Shoyru Company 3500 18 17 -5.56%
2.gif KBAT Kor-Bat Cricket Supplies 13055 16 17 +6.25%
25.gif NATN The National Neopian Bank 14650 18 17 -5.56%
24.gif SHRX Shoyrux Enterprises 17511 18 18 +0.00%
8.gif ACFI Achyfi Enterprises 6367 17 18 +5.88%
22.gif BOTT Balthazars Faerie Bottling Inc. 5001 20 19 -5.00%

SO I can't help but wonder . . .

• Does this mean a lot of the people who picked Seekers went with a different boon.
  • Or does it mean that a lot of people picked the wrong side and lost.
  • Or does it mean that a whole lot of people don't take part in the Obelisk battles.

It's most likely a combination of the 3, but I find it intriguing and now I'd love to know the percentage of Neopians who do play the stock market, and join in with the Obelisk battles. These kind of figures interest me because I'm nosy, but then I have mentioned that trait of mine before. :ph34r:

I can never decide which out of more bank interest and cheaper stocks is the best option, I get about 3k more per day from the interest boost at present. Hmm, so I guess once I get over 5k interest boost that will make it more worth my while to go for the interest each time, but right now the stocks are the better option.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Mouseykins) because of a violation of the forum rules.
This topic has been posted in the wrong section.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.
Per the reason above, this topic has been moved from General Chat to Neopets General Chat.

21 hours ago, fishstick013 said:

I can say that I chose the bank boon just to see where I stand with that.

Has it turned out to be worth your while?

18 hours ago, charelan said:

I lost this time. But I usually either go with that one or the quest refresh if I can. 

I've never used quest refresh, as I hardly ever get faerie quests there doesn't seem much point. Do people use it in conjunction with fortune cookies?

I know we as a group missed out on using that boon during the faerie quest event last year.

I do use quest refresh boons with a fortune cookie.  It nice to be able to avoid a quest to increase movement points, for example. In a week or so of daily quests, I think I've only refreshed one or two at the most.  Is it worth it?

Now that I think about it, it's a close thing.  At my pet's level, it costs me 25-30K np worth of codestones each course.  So, that useless faerie quest has a value of about 25K np to me.  50k np if I get two "bad" quests in my week.  Buying 1,000 stock at 10np instead of 15np nets me 5K np more (eventually) each day I do it, so potentially 35,000np. 

For me, I'll keep going for quest refresh, but if you need less codestones to level up your pet, then the stock boon is probably more valuable to you.

I am using my quest refresh with a cookie right now.  As discobiscuit said, for me too, I am paying 8 codestones to train my pet, so it is more lucrative to use that boon.  Although when I use the bank interest boon it is quite nice too.  Since I have gotten the earth faerie EVERY DAY so far, it has been nice to be able to refresh her.  One day I refreshed her for, er, uh, the earth faerie.  lol.  And of course, she increased my speed.  She ALWAYS increases my speed so I refresh her every time.  One refresh got her again, one got the battle faerie, so that was nice, and one refresh got the dark faerie, so that was ok too.  

Like Mouseykins, I always buy my stocks at 15 too.  Seems like she and I are in good company.

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Has it turned out to be worth your while?

I've never used quest refresh, as I hardly ever get faerie quests there doesn't seem much point. Do people use it in conjunction for fortune cookies?

I know we as a group missed out on using that boon during the faerie quest event last year.

Yes! I only choose quest refresh bc I bought a pile of half price cookies during the last faerie festival. So I only use them if and when I have that boon. It's quite nice :)

12 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

Since I have gotten the earth faerie EVERY DAY so far, it has been nice to be able to refresh her.  One day I refreshed her for, er, uh, the earth faerie.  lol.  And of course, she increased my speed.  She ALWAYS increases my speed so I refresh her every time.

D: I didn't realise it wasn't just the Air Faerie who gave speed increases. *checks JN* Hmm, I guess the Earth Faerie's not QUITE so bad as she gives out strength and defense too. She must have it in for you if you always get stuck with speed from her!

7 hours ago, Angeló said:

prefer the bank interest boon

i've been out of the stocks game for a while now

some stocks take YEARS to turn in a profit

I think opinions run high about whether buying stocks, or socking all your cash away in the bank for the interest is more profitable, don't  they. I buy stocks primarily because it's fun when they climb sky-high. I enjoy yelling at @kayahtik , see. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

I think opinions run high about whether buying stocks, or socking all your cash away in the bank for the interest is more profitable, don't  they. I buy stocks primarily because it's fun when they climb sky-high. I enjoy yelling at @kayahtik , see. :ph34r:

Unless you have hundreds of millions of nps, and your interest is in the range of 100k+ per day, I don't think that's more valuable than the stock market. Sure, you have to wait longer to cash out with stocks, but the return is much, MUCH higher. I always choose Cheaper By the Dozen over Bank Bribery. Even if you do have high interest, I think Bank Bribery is a ripoff. 3% interest is hardly anything, even if your interest is high to begin with. It would be better if it were double your current interest/allowed you to collect interest twice each day. I'll be sitting here with my hoard of 10np stocks, tyvm. 

I wonder if there are people out there with hundreds of millions of np . . . I bet there are, quite a few probably! Maybe being a Neo billionaire is a worthy bucket list goal!

Incidentally, I just misread my own thread title and thought it said No cheap SOCKS for you . . . facepalm.gif

I chose the black market goods boon because of the potential of more profit. The stock market boon saves you an automatic 5k per day whereas if you're lucky you can buy goods from the stores and turn a much bigger profit than that. It takes time however and I've been kind of lazy so maybe it would have been better to go with the stock market one after all...

I don't play the stock market... mostly because I don't take the time to understand and analyse the stocks. Mind you, I do have stocks... I just hardly ever check because when I do...they've lost value :(. It's kind of depressing.  I play Food Club now so my savings are actually looking healthy. previously, it was pretty ho hum because I hardly make that much from games or dailies or REs. I use the Bank Bribery Boon every time. 

You don't need to analyse them, just be consistent and buy every day and check your portfolio once a day, selling if the stocks are over, say, 60 np. Eventually you'll reach a point where you sell as much as buy. For me that happened around 250k-300k stocks. But it doesen't take any effort, just time and some money:) 

I saw someone say once that the bank boon only gets you +5k if you have something like 45 million in the bank. That seems high, but I have ~8 mil and last time I tried the bank boon I only got a few hundred extra from it each day, so maybe it's right. 

As far as guessing participation goes, I'm in a guild with 1200 members that go for the skirmish together, so that's a good chunk of people participating. But I think a lot of people go with faerie quests instead. I don't have a quest cookie so I went with stocks.

47 minutes ago, sajixx said:

I saw someone say once that the bank boon only gets you +5k if you have something like 45 million in the bank. That seems high, but I have ~8 mil and last time I tried the bank boon I only got a few hundred extra from it each day, so maybe it's right. 

It gives you an extra 3% of interest. For me, currently at 53m in my bank, it would be about 4300nps added to my usual interest (which is currently ~18k).

Definitely not worth it, imo. I could make that many nps in about five minutes of playing games. I'd rather use my boon to invest in cheaper stocks, that after some time will make me several hundreds of thousands of nps. 

58 minutes ago, sajixx said:

As far as guessing participation goes, I'm in a guild with 1200 members that go for the skirmish together, so that's a good chunk of people participating. But I think a lot of people go with faerie quests instead. I don't have a quest cookie so I went with stocks.

It's worse then that.  To get 5,000 a day, you have to make 1,825,000 np in interest per year (5k * 365).  To get the 1.825M np in interest per year at 3%, you'd have to have 60,833,333 np in the bank.  If you have less than 60 million in the bank, the stock boon is better for you.

OH OH!! You guys!! I just realised something! Major light bulb epiphany moment!

If you use the stocks boon, you're basically getting that boon, AND the bank interest one!

You all stop looking at me like :huh: I can FEEL you doing it!! :P

You save 5k on your stock purchases, which you probably then pay into the bank, so unless you have this 60 mill NP mentioned up there ^ you're getting MORE extra np to bank from buying stocks than you would've got from using the bank boon. This tickles me. :biggrin: