Charity Corner 2018 Is Here!

hrtbrk

The thing with CC inflation is it's only ever temporary. CC is a massive NP sink because while active players are selling for more than normal, a lot of the np is going into the tills of those abandoned stores I mentioned, never to enter the economy again.

@kayahtik maybe you should get a gene test, you certainly sound like you have some British ancestry to me. xD

10 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

Constructive criticism and valid arguments are one thing, but whining endlessly about something that, in the end, is trivial, is pretty pointless. 

Preach, sister!

16 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I liked how it worked before, but I know a lot of people complained about having to buy items that were inflated in price. But, well . . . they didn't HAVE to buy, did they. . . it's their own choice. I guess it depends entirely on what people are hoping to achieve from the event.

And I still stand very firmly by my opinion that the shops were only full of more expensive prices because all the cheaper listings had gone and they were shops of abandoned accounts (they WERE abandoned, I checked loads of them both last year, and the year before)that have had these higher-priced items sat there moldering for years. Again we're back to the whole point of CC; clearing that bandwidth! So when active players put stuff up for sale they were actually listing at a current (though inflated) price, not actively over-pricing to take advantage of CC.

I tend to feel that a fair percentage of past complainers were wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They were MORE than happy to benefit from those higher prices by selling, but totally didn't want to pay them themselves, lol.

Maybe it's my British-ness assuming people enjoy complaining? It being such a national past time here. :laugh:

Lol, I think complaining is a universal thing. :) I'm just not that annoyed by it, mostly, as long as the complaints are at least partly valid/I can understand where they're coming from.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never bought items for the CC, so the inflation never bothered me.

12 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

That is true, and I do think prices of ALL items are rising. But at the same time, with no restrictions, everyone is able to donate all those jellies, omelettes, and obsidians that have been rotting away in their SDB. Even with inflation already happening, you can still get those items for ~100nps. I think overall it's still much more accessible to people since they don't have to hoard a lot of r90-99 items that were mostly all in the ~3-5k range these last few weeks. 

And @jellysundae I'm not British, but I do love complaining! :P I'm 100% in agreement about it being a game though. Constructive criticism and valid arguments are one thing, but whining endlessly about something that, in the end, is trivial, is pretty pointless. 

Good point, I guess it makes it more accessible in that sense. I hadn't thought about it like that, since I never specifically save up or prepare for CC. I just check my SDB for whatever stuff I have there, regardless of rarity (and even then I have trouble parting with stuff I like jellies and omelettes. ;))

It would be VERY interesting if we knew the figures for how many people buy in preparation for CC, those like me who just save free things, and those who do nothing in particular like you, @Nielo

And I do wonder if the loudest grumbling is generally from the people who spent NP.

1 minute ago, jellysundae said:

It would be VERY interesting if we knew the figures for how many people buy in preparation for CC, those like me who just save free things, and those who do nothing in particular like you, @Nielo

And I do wonder if the loudest grumbling is generally from the people who spent NP.

Yeah, it would. And I wouldn't be surprised if those spent NP would complain most, since they actively prepared for something that ended up being different.

(And technically, I do the same thing you do: I save free things. I've always saved everything I got. I might've discarded some soggy old boxes back in the day, but I can't remember the last time I discarded/donated anything (except NP). It's just that I do nothing special for CC, this is simply how I've always played Neopets. ;))

1 hour ago, Josi said:

I'm fine with the new CC; it is doing what it is supposed to do: clear junk from the site. So I just go through each category of my SBD with the jellyneo price checker and for each category I get rid of junk that is <1000 np. Perhaps I'll raise the np standard in the future, but I've already cleared about 200 items that I would never use or sell :thumbsup:

I'm basically doing the same, but with a slightly higher np cutoff. I hoarded items all year, but it was literally just hoarding from dailies etc - I didn't buy any of it, so I won't feel too bad 'getting nothing' back ;) But boy did it take me a loooong time to get rid of my 900-and-some Gorunda the Wise cards, ugh!

20 minutes ago, charelan said:

But boy did it take me a loooong time to get rid of my 900-and-some Gorunda the Wise cards, ugh!

:laugh: I feel that pain!

I started off donating from my large cache of obsidian, then realised I'd be better off starting with the highest r.90+ stuff so if and when I lose the will to live I've got a lot more points. xD

I've got 5753 points right now, and am down into the r. 93 stuff in my inventory,1 or 2 (or maybe 103 :ph34r:)Tyrannian Acara Plushies right now, still got 1227 items left in there, and I haven't cleared all the super/ultra rare stuff out of my SDB yet. So I'm not really expecting to get back to the obsidian!

7 minutes ago, xd0rkus58 said:

Gosh, I'm such a hoarder, I don't want to give away EVERYTHING, lol but I really want a new avie, and some cool prizes, lol what to do? 

Can I just say, at this point, that I'm (wo)manfully resisting posting some Frozen gif. :ph34r:

Seriously though, I bet you've got enough to give away some,  even a LOT, and not even make much of a dent in your SDB. So win/win either way, really. :D

1 minute ago, jellysundae said:

Can I just say, at this point, that I'm (wo)manfully resisting posting some Frozen gif. :ph34r:

Seriously though, I bet you've got enough to give away some,  even a LOT, and not even make much of a dent in your SDB. So win/win either way, really. :D

Yes you're right I definitely do!! It just hurts, a lot!!! LOL

1 minute ago, xd0rkus58 said:

Yes you're right I definitely do!! It just hurts, a lot!!! LOL

How about looking at as clearing room for more stuff? lol

At least on here you're not at risk of ending up on a TV show, with people throwing all your stuff into a skip/dumpster!

2 minutes ago, Angeló said:

what does donating NC Boxes get us in return ?

Some quite nice stuff actually.

Gifts Available for 1 Donation Receipt
Gifts Available for 2 Donation Receipts
Gifts Available for 3 Donation Receipts
Gifts Available for 4 Donation Receipts

I think I played CC once before... was never around when it happened otherwise. So I'm hoping for an avatar. I hoard most things I get on dailies and sell the food I win at Dice-a-Roo. So I think I have some good stuff to donate. I've been saving Obsidian for the Trash Avatar so I'm not parting with those. I usually troll the Money Tree for Obsidian too.

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Some quite nice stuff actually.

Gifts Available for 1 Donation Receipt
Gifts Available for 2 Donation Receipts
Gifts Available for 3 Donation Receipts
Gifts Available for 4 Donation Receipts

but we have to buy those hampers first !!

hmppph i thought we could just donate them like that

12 minutes ago, Angeló said:

but we have to buy those hampers first !!

hmppph i thought we could just donate them like that

Yeah, I've not looked to see how much those are. I quite like the background, and the flowy dress looks pretty on my Draik, the mini Buzzer abode's cute, the wall of planters are nice, and the flower curtains. Actually the bed is VERY nice but the swinging's a bit too much.

Don't know if I'll look into it though, it's confusing me just thinking about it. :blush:

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Angeló said:

Probably a Prize Shop and/or an Avatar ?

Do we have to donate every day ?

Necklace of the Water Faerie 143

Maraquan Bed Time Stories 160

Maraquan Charger Plushie 481

............ these are just some of the items i hoarded 

Oh Angelo' Angelo'.  You KNOW you must donate every day.  Just for the mere fact that if you don't and that happens to be how you get the avatar, you know you will regret it.  My advice, for what it's EVER worth, yes, donate every day until you find out otherwise.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, jellysundae said:

Very nice that this time the rarity of the items you donate don't have to be within 5 of the one before!

Yes, I really like that too.  I noticed that when I chose an item, my complete item list was still up there.  So I could still choose what ever other items to go with them.  Plus, it gives you the points fairly.  Meaning, if you donated an r68 item with an r95 item, you would get 7 points, whereas before, if you wanted a nice prize, you wouldn't donate an r78 with an r92 item.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, lojoco49 said:

Yep that would've been a monumental pain in the a**!

Further to @Steve's post I have just found this-

• r1-r79: 1 point
  • r80-89: 2 points
  • r90-97: 6 points
  • r98-r100: 8 points
  • r101: 1 point
  • r102-r175: 4 points
  • r200: 15 points

Thanks for the table.  I knew most of them already and was disappointed with the r101 items as I have so many of them.  But that's the way it goes.  I will try out some of the r200, if I can find some that are worth giving away.  lol

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, bearsandthings said:

Basic Gift Boxes are acceptable NC donations. 

That's great to know. Thanks for the info. I have never donated NC items before, but maybe I will this time. Let's see what we get from it. lol

20 hours ago, Hanso said:

I'm torn between donating all my r90+ items or selling them. If I donate, there's a good chance that the prize shop/boons won't have been worth it, and even if they end up being decent, I probably won't be able to score high enough to get the high-tier prizes. I mean sure, I have 500+ r90 items, but that pales in comparison to the hundreds of users who've been hoarding since last year and already got 10000+ points on the first day. If I sell, however, I am guaranteed to make a profit.

Ugh, if only I had future vision so I could see what the prize shop will be like.

As of right now, the items aren't selling for that much.  I guess they may inflate over the course of the event, but I just don't see them going for the prices they have in the past.  I could be wrong though.  If they do inflate like that, I would sell the r90 items and up, and donate the rest.  You can get enough points if you donate a lot of items.

20 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

This so much. At least in previous years you could make your money back and then some. But so many people have been hoarding for over 2 years that it may be better to just donate what you can and hope the prizes are cheap.

Then an avatar comes in to play. Do we have to donate 100 times? Reach 500 points? 1000? Gah too much is unknown :(

I think we will know that answer soon enough.  If you donate a few items each day, you will get the avatar if they give one.  The avatar has always been predicated on the fact that you donate so many days in a row.  I think that is still the best strategy.  

This is my first time participating in Charity Corner, I have been with Neo for a while but I must not have been paying that much attention though because I don't remember ever being involved or even hearing about it. It's a good thing I have quite a few things laying around in my inventory that I haven't sold yet. Not a hoarder but haven't been on Neopets for a while and havn't been keeping my inventory cleaned up.

Hoping there's an avatar out of this, has there been any in the past?

9 minutes ago, micheee said:

This is my first time participating in Charity Corner, I have been with Neo for a while but I must not have been paying that much attention though because I don't remember ever being involved or even hearing about it. It's a good thing I have quite a few things laying around in my inventory that I haven't sold yet. Not a hoarder but haven't been on Neopets for a while and havn't been keeping my inventory cleaned up.

Hoping there's an avatar out of this, has there been any in the past?

Yup, there's been an avatar for all previous Charity Corners, so it's very likely that this year will be no different. But who knows.

The only thing I don’t like is the thought of a prize shop. 

I liked the the randomness of prizes given after donation.

Now, I feel like the prizes will be a charity corner altador cup prize shop.... and I doubt there’s a Terask Stamp in it. ? I don’t like it.

The issue is it's flat out rude and sneaky of TNT, they darn right knew people have been spending time and time and millions of neopoints preparing for CC, it's on the boards, it's on Jellyneo, it's on here, it's just a known fact.

The problem that no one is seeing about us "complainers" is we spent more time than you know preparing for something that for the last 3 times has been EXACTLY the same format. The last couple of times I didn't have the funds nor the time to invest in getting r90's saved up and I was SUPER bummed about that. I missed out on so many stamps, faerie items, etc that I'm never going to get otherwise (really expensive!). Then after starting my guild and just seeing how many other people wanted the same things I did and knowing that they're even further behind in saving than I am; I really felt motivated to want to do something for my guildies, my main motivations for spending SO much on these items through the year or so is to; 

• Be able to give my guildies r90's to use during CC because people selfishly inflate the prices  
  • Be able to get items seen on people's wishlists and fufill their goal dream
  • And Maybe, just maybe, get some of the Faerie items and stamps I'm needing as well

Me and several others I know made spreadsheets, documented our items, rarities, quantity, and type/category. This takes A LOT of work and effort, anyone that's ever been in the field of data entry can tell you this. Not only that, but we spent A LOT collecting r90's and even r80's, I probably have spent more than 10m in the last year collecting items to be able to give back to my guild and even some people on TDN :(

I complain about the prices of the inflation and never ONCE have I joined in on that. I would never sell something during event that everyone should be able to participate it for so much higher than the regular price. So I don't think all of us that complain about the inflation "want our cake and to eat it too".

This "not being able to understand why people will donate items with no guarantee" thinking is silly to me, because if you've participated in the previous CC's you'll know that 9/10 you make a profit. I bought all my items last year when prices were inflated for CC and still made out with almost 80m in items and only spent about 15m and I've heard HUNDREDS of other people say the same thing.

I'm sorry, but if TNT wants to clean up their site, they can darn well do it themselves. AT LEAST with them giving us and item back we were getting something back for doing THEIR job. We get that TNT does this event to save their own butts... er... I mean bandwidth... but it takes so long to donate, so much money to collect these items and so much time to prepare that a little something would be nice.

I use to LOVE neopets SO much but with the current plot, the way the sites going, how TNT is, makes me wonder if they really care so much about their players as they say. I'm just frustrated that everyone seems to think that it's selfish that we want the item in return when we sank so much points and time preparing and when most of us did it (or at least those I know) to get items to help out their friends/guilds.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get "Neopets" is just a game, but in the last year especially with running my guild I met so many people with so many struggles and sometimes I really can't do anything to help them. My guild usually gets together and raises anywhere between 5m-10m neopoints to just shower these people with gifts off their wishlist and just let them know we're thinking of them and that their not alone. These being material things yes, but sometimes even something like that can make you feel so important and special and make you feel that someone went out of their way to make sure YOU had a good day. So yes I generally take things on Neopets more to heart and I do try not to get as upset about it, but I've had an AWFUL LAST 2 YEARS and gosh dang it I just want some slack! xD lol I like the sense of community and closeness the people in my guild have built and Neopets for us can be an escape from the real world, a safe haven so to speak. So in some aspects yes it is a game but in other's it's not.

I guess all in all what I'm trying to say don't underestimate what something means to someone else and definitely don't discard how hard people worked for this CC, I know for sure that there's probably people that spent WAY more than me and I pale in comparison.

I have to say good for TNT this round! I am 100% content with how this event is running. In the previous ones, all I was after was just an avatar anyways. Sure a trophy is nice too, but the avatar is a must.

The first year with the quests was a nice idea in thought but having to pay insane amounts for one item as people inflated it right away was not fair. I still completed it for the avatar and in my opinion, it was worth it. The second time they ran it, they changed things again and still, all the high rarity items were inflated by users. I donated a fair bit of raroty90 items and never got anything decent in return so it was a lost gamble for me. So I just did the bare minimum for the participant trophy and avatar.

This year is a lot better! Inflation is still going to happen because of the whole supply/demand thing but at least the prizes are more controlled and not as random as before. I always feel jipped when I don't get anything good and people around me are getting really good items.

Plus I don't have time to be sitting here all day buying and donating items. I've been hoarding since November and have a fair bit of things to donate. I like how the points system is this time. Instead of 5 items equaling 1 point.