Charity Corner 2018 Is Here!

hrtbrk

3 hours ago, queen_hatshepset said:

So I was wondering, Is there an easier way to look up the rarity of an item than to click the item and to have it open to show you the rarity.

When I go through my SDB, I look at the rarity labels to have an idea of what range they fall in... For instance, r101 items are (special), r99 are (super rare), r95-98 are (ultra rare)... And items that are below r75 don't have a label.

Edit: here's the full list of item rarities and their corresponding labels.

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

I'm up to 3363 points. It is most satisfying getting rid of a whole bunch of stuff!

And here I was thinking that 1,000 points a day would be good enough for me.

I have slow internet, so I think that this is enough for today. I shall try harder tomorrow. Maybe set a goal of donating 2,000 worth tomorrow, but who knows? As it is, all three of my little guys are asleep so I am going to follow suit (it is after 10 pm my time and I am usually up by 4:30) I will be back Charity Corner!

Just now, babayaga67 said:

And here I was thinking that 1,000 points a day would be good enough for me.

I have slow internet, so I think that this is enough for today. I shall try harder tomorrow. Maybe set a goal of donating 2,000 worth tomorrow, but who knows? As it is, all three of my little guys are asleep so I am going to follow suit (it is after 10 pm my time and I am usually up by 4:30) I will be back Charity Corner!

Hehe, I've stopped at 5001 for today xD

Only got that many because it's all r.90+ stuff at the moment.

4 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Hehe, I've stopped at 5001 for today xD

Only got that many because it's all r.90+ stuff at the moment.

WOW! So any advice from anyone on how many points to aim for?

I guess you don't get a sneak peek at prize shop before it's all over... :sad:

I'm torn between donating all my r90+ items or selling them. If I donate, there's a good chance that the prize shop/boons won't have been worth it, and even if they end up being decent, I probably won't be able to score high enough to get the high-tier prizes. I mean sure, I have 500+ r90 items, but that pales in comparison to the hundreds of users who've been hoarding since last year and already got 10000+ points on the first day. If I sell, however, I am guaranteed to make a profit.

Ugh, if only I had future vision so I could see what the prize shop will be like.

6 minutes ago, Hanso said:

I'm torn between donating all my r90+ items or selling them. If I donate, there's a high chance that the prize shop/boons won't have been worth it, especially considering how  I won't be able to score high enough to get the high-tier prizes. I mean sure, I have 500+ r90 items, but that pales in comparison to the hundreds of users who've been hoarding since last year and already got 10000+ points on the first day. If I sell, however, I am guaranteed to make a profit.

Ugh, if only I had future vision so I could see what the prize will be like.

This so much. At least in previous years you could make your money back and then some. But so many people have been hoarding for over 2 years that it may be better to just donate what you can and hope the prizes are cheap.

Then an avatar comes in to play. Do we have to donate 100 times? Reach 500 points? 1000? Gah too much is unknown :(

Seriously, all this hoarding so I can FINALLY get items and they're not giving us anything? Way to screw us over TNT, once again. I also wasn't expecting it so soon. They're literally taking away ALL the fun out of stuff for me lately, the plot sucked and now this :/

19 minutes ago, GillyTook said:

Is anyone else having this problem?  I got my five items pulled up, hit donate, and nothing happens.  Ever.  Doesn't even look like the button is depressing >_> 

*tries*

Er, yeah, nothing happening for me either.

Lol, why doesn't this surprise me? :laugh:

EDIT

AHA! @GillyTook changes were being made! My donation went though despite no button-pressy action, and now there's the NP/NC donation options which weren't there yesterday.

This is just my 2 cents, but why would anyone donate items with known selling value hoping for something better? I guess some players love the anticipation. I'm not donating things worth thousands hoping that they have a prize worth a lot more than the total value of what I've given away. I'm just tossing cheap stuff that I have multiples of. I can tell I won't be in the top tier this year. Too bad, because I have at least 2 of the previous avatars, one of which is hard to get. Last year I sold some of the items for the inflated prices, and some I donated, for the chance of a prize. Mixed results but overall worth it. Some years I have more time to devote to this type of thing, but not this year. Good luck to you all. :angel:

17 minutes ago, lakecat said:

This is just my 2 cents, but why would anyone donate items with known selling value hoping for something better? I guess some players love the anticipation. I'm not donating things worth thousands hoping that they have a prize worth a lot more than the total value of what I've given away. I'm just tossing cheap stuff that I have multiples of. I can tell I won't be in the top tier this year. Too bad, because I have at least 2 of the previous avatars, one of which is hard to get. Last year I sold some of the items for the inflated prices, and some I donated, for the chance of a prize. Mixed results but overall worth it. Some years I have more time to devote to this type of thing, but not this year. Good luck to you all. :angel:

It's a good thing you can't see what I'm donating. xDDD I think I'm just enjoying the cathartic release of an SDB purge. :laugh:

I have zero expectations for what our points will net us, Granny's words are just way too ambiguous. The implication seems to be that what we'll get as a reward for our altruism is a nice rosy glow to bask in. >_<

I'm with @jellysundae and @lakecat here. Charity Corner is always a gamble, both the old format and this new one. In any sort of gambling, you shouldn't offer up anything you aren't willing to 100% lose. I'm enjoying cleaning out my SDB, and if there happen to be cool prizes at the end, great. If not, no biggie. It might suck for those of you who spent lots of time and nps actively hoarding r90-99s, but if you're really worried about it, I would suggest just selling your high rarity items and only donating the lower ones. That way at least you'll make your nps back (probably with some profit, since prices are probably still inflating). 

I may have to make a correction. I thought I had two of the Charity Corner avatars, but can only find last years. Oh well...Then I had another thought and a question: what happens to all of the donated items? Do they disappear? :shiftyeyes_anim: And if so, doesn't that make the remaining un-donated items much more valuable? :king:

27 minutes ago, lakecat said:

what happens to all of the donated items? Do they disappear? :shiftyeyes_anim: And if so, doesn't that make the remaining un-donated items much more valuable? :king:

Yes, and yes.

I let the less-nice side of me enjoy laughing at the snowflaking on the boards yesterday. SO many people have their very biggest pair of WAHpants on right now!

I'm not saying that, if this CC IS JS trying for some kind of moral lesson, that that's a good idea, because this is an internet game and it's meant to be fun so getting all preachy's not appropriate. But people's reactions to the removal of instant gratification in this is VERY telling (and amusing to me :ph34r:)

I'm fine with the new CC; it is doing what it is supposed to do: clear junk from the site. So I just go through each category of my SBD with the jellyneo price checker and for each category I get rid of junk that is <1000 np. Perhaps I'll raise the np standard in the future, but I've already cleared about 200 items that I would never use or sell :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Josi said:

I'm fine with the new CC; it is doing what it is supposed to do: clear junk from the site

Exactly. People are being snide about this very fact, forgetting, I think, that this IS the sole reason for CC. NOT to give people loads of expensive items. >_<

So yeah, I DO understand why they've got granny saying what she is, but it ain't gonna wash with any of the complainers, that's for sure.:ph34r:

I'm very intrigued by how this CC is going to play out, Granny's use of the word "boons" is, well, intriguing, lol. What can they give us as prizes that we'd benefit from, that I'm guessing aren't actual items?

Actually, trying to 2nd guess at this point is undoubtedly a complete waste of time, but still, intriguing!

3 hours ago, lakecat said:

I hardly ever sell anything (and I hoard everything), because I don't really care about NeoPoints. I don't buy much either (hence the not caring about NP, and also not caring about whether or not the things I donate are more valuable than the things I might get in return; they all just sit in my SDB anyway). I just like getting random stuff, and yeah, I think anticipation is a good word to describe it: knowing you could get something rare, something awesome. I think I actually prefer the anticipation to getting the actual thing. The immediate moment of getting it is great, and then it just becomes normal real quick. (This goes for real life as much as Neopets, to be honest. XD)

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

Yes, and yes.

I let the less-nice side of me enjoy laughing at the snowflaking on the boards yesterday. SO many people have their very biggest pair of WAHpants on right now!

I'm not saying that, if this CC IS JS trying for some kind of moral lesson, that that's a good idea, because this is an internet game and it's meant to be fun so getting all preachy's not appropriate. But people's reactions to the removal of instant gratification in this is VERY telling (and amusing to me :ph34r:)

I actually think this way of hosting the CC is inspiring more greed, as last year you could donate only several times and still come away with some really great items (depending on your luck, of course), while this year, if the speculations about a prize shop are correct, it stands to reason that more points will equal better prizes. So people who don't have a lot of items to donate are either out of luck, or forced to buy a lot of stuff if they want to participate and get a shot at more points, and I'm guessing prices of every single thing will be rising super fast right now (I haven't checked, but that's usually what happens, right?).

I don't know. It might be a great way to clear up some server space, but it's a real chore; at least the instant gratification made it bearable last year. I want to participate and help them clear server space, but without the restrictions of what we're able to donate, it just takes way too much time (that I don't have). I mean, a moral lesson is all well and good*, but this is still a game, right? Without the instant gratification, the part of the game that was actually fun is kind of gone.

*I don't think one lesson about greed in a game that's primarily about things & NP (Win stuff! Buy stuff! Sell stuff! Trade stuff! Auction stuff! Stocks! Gambling (wheels, card games)! Etc.) is really all that effective, nor is it surprising that people aren't entirely happy with the way this CC is set up.

I think we have to face the fact that however they run CC it's going to cause its own problems. >_<

*hunts for bright side*

. . .

A lot of people really like complaining, so they're in their element right now? :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I think we have to face the fact that however they run CC it's going to cause its own problems. >_<

*hunts for bright side*

. . .

A lot of people really like complaining, so they're in their element right now? :ph34r:

I don't know, were there a lot of people who had issues with CC in the past years? (I personally thought that it worked really wel before.)

(Honestly, at this point I'm far more annoyed at people on the neoboards who complain about the complaining. Complaining can be a good thing as long as people have valid arguments (which they often do): it means they still care enough about the game to want to see it improved. I don't really think it means they love complaining though. :wink:)

I liked how it worked before, but I know a lot of people complained about having to buy items that were inflated in price. But, well . . . they didn't HAVE to buy, did they. . . it's their own choice. I guess it depends entirely on what people are hoping to achieve from the event.

And I still stand very firmly by my opinion that the shops were only full of more expensive prices because all the cheaper listings had gone and they were shops of abandoned accounts (they WERE abandoned, I checked loads of them both last year, and the year before)that have had these higher-priced items sat there moldering for years. Again we're back to the whole point of CC; clearing that bandwidth! So when active players put stuff up for sale they were actually listing at a current (though inflated) price, not actively over-pricing to take advantage of CC.

I tend to feel that a fair percentage of past complainers were wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They were MORE than happy to benefit from those higher prices by selling, but totally didn't want to pay them themselves, lol.

Maybe it's my British-ness assuming people enjoy complaining? It being such a national past time here. :laugh:

35 minutes ago, Nielo said:

I actually think this way of hosting the CC is inspiring more greed, as last year you could donate only several times and still come away with some really great items (depending on your luck, of course), while this year, if the speculations about a prize shop are correct, it stands to reason that more points will equal better prizes. So people who don't have a lot of items to donate are either out of luck, or forced to buy a lot of stuff if they want to participate and get a shot at more points, and I'm guessing prices of every single thing will be rising super fast right now (I haven't checked, but that's usually what happens, right?).

That is true, and I do think prices of ALL items are rising. But at the same time, with no restrictions, everyone is able to donate all those jellies, omelettes, and obsidians that have been rotting away in their SDB. Even with inflation already happening, you can still get those items for ~100nps. I think overall it's still much more accessible to people since they don't have to hoard a lot of r90-99 items that were mostly all in the ~3-5k range these last few weeks. 

And @jellysundae I'm not British, but I do love complaining! :P I'm 100% in agreement about it being a game though. Constructive criticism and valid arguments are one thing, but whining endlessly about something that, in the end, is trivial, is pretty pointless.