JS following the trend!

jellysundae

One of the things I really loved about TNT was the pop culture refs, I don't imagine I'm alone in this, right?

I especially liked how they clearly were up-to-date with the food fads showing up on Tumblr, Instagram and Pinterest as they released items like.

30235.gifDeep-Fried Mac-n-Cheese Loaf  and 59969.gifPound Cake and Frosting Sandwich

I spotted something on DTI whilst looking for inspiration for the Runway's Round 53 which shows me that JS are also using inspiration from what's going on currently, but OMG, I don't know what to make of this particular thing. >_<

I amuse myself looking at San Francisco Real Estate, because why not? So I'm fully aware of the current trend with home-stagers to paint absolutely everything grey. So when I saw this item - realised in January - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, lol. It's a lovely elegant room, but THE ALL-ENCOMPASSING GREY. D:<<

At least they haven't done the true "flipper" thing and torn all the walls down and stripped out ALL the period features, the molding and wood paneling's still there. >_<

preview.png

Are there  pop culture refs that JS have used that I've not spotted/picked up on?

I really like to hope they're keeping up that tradition because it was such fun spotting them, plus we all like to have one of these moments!

XS5LK.gif

I mostly only spot pop culture references in the pet day outfits, when they're clearly based on some character or other. Several of them have been based on Game of Thrones. I'm pretty sure there are at least two Jon Snow outfits. Or maybe one is supposed to be Robb? Another item (not pet-specific) they even went so far as to name it Danys Dress. I like when they do these references in a punny, clever way, but a lot of the time they just completely rip off other ideas, which is annoying and unoriginal to me. But anyway. 

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

At least they haven't done the true "flipper" thing and torn all the walls down and stripped out ALL the period features, the molding and wood paneling's still there. >_<

My bet would be that they added in new molding and paneling to give it an antique feel :P

8 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

I mostly only spot pop culture references in the pet day outfits, when they're clearly based on some character or other. Several of them have been based on Game of Thrones. I'm pretty sure there are at least two Jon Snow outfits. Or maybe one is supposed to be Robb? Another item (not pet-specific) they even went so far as to name it Danys Dress. I like when they do these references in a punny, clever way, but a lot of the time they just completely rip off other ideas, which is annoying and unoriginal to me. But anyway.

Oh of course, the outfits! I didn't think of that, maybe because it's a bit too blatant, lol. Smacks a bit too much of "I have no personal creativity so I'll just copy every film character outfit from the last year." >_<

I guess JS just don't have the level of in-born fun that TNT had. Which makes sense as TNT as a team were built up over the years from like-minded individuals, where as JS are just people from a different company who have been given these jobs to do on Neo. They're not invested in it, nor were they picked because they had that special something to bring to the job. So they do they best, but that creative spark certainly isn't there like it was with TNT.

My bet would be that they added in new molding and paneling to give it an antique feel :P

HA! yes xD Foam design accents à la McMansion Hell. :laugh:

I really do like that room, if there was colour in there I'd actively want that item.

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Oh of course, the outfits! I didn't think of that, maybe because it's a bit too blatant, lol. Smacks a bit too much of "I have no personal creativity so I'll just copy every film character outfit from the last year." >_<

Sigh, so very true with the pet outfits, isn't it? I kept getting "Perry Usul ___" items from dailies and spent months wondering what a "Perry" was. Katy Perry. It's a flipping blue wig and some outfit. I don't know if I'm angrier at JS or myself for that one. 

4 minutes ago, hpb63094 said:

I don't know if I'm angrier at JS or myself for that one. 

:laugh:

I'd not picked up on that one at all! lol. Now I'm amused by the implied implication that Katy Perry looks like a Usul. xDD

On 15/03/2018 at 12:11 PM, kayahtik said:

I like when they do these references in a punny, clever way, but a lot of the time they just completely rip off other ideas, which is annoying and unoriginal to me.

That's how I feel as well! One day I was browsing Pinterest and came across this:

4de5a641ac72b70697cd82f7a6a71535.jpg

And I realised: oh, so this is where they got the 'idea' for the Violet Flower Lantern item. /disappointed

mall_hh_violetlight.gif
http://impress.openneo.net/items/74534-Violet-Flower-Lantern

I know there are more items like this, but I can't think of them now.

7 minutes ago, deboratibi said:

That's how I feel as well! One day I was browsing Pinterest and came across this:

And I realised: oh, so this is where they got the 'idea' for the Violet Flower Lantern item. /disappointed

mall_hh_violetlight.gif

That's a really pretty item. I'd totally have thought they'd been clever dreaming that up themselves if you'd not spotted the origin.

Thing is, they've flat out copied someone's else's item for something they're making cash from, I question the legality of that.

12 minutes ago, deboratibi said:

mall_hh_violetlight.gif

At least they altered it slightly and it's not a direct copy like some past items have been.