Graduating University Soon... What now?

micheee

Hi all, so I will be graduating from university in April with a bachelors degree in Commerce for Human Resources Management but I'm kind of nervous as to where my life leads now. I've heard so many people say it's hard to find a good HR job. Where I work now I am being mentored in HR so I have my foot in the door that way which is great. My mentor is really supportive and shown me so many things that would help me to get an HR position with them for sure one day.

Now I have been going to school for 2 years straight (spring and summer semesters included) so I've only ever had 2 weeks off of school between terms. Well, being the smart person I am, I would always pick up extra shifts during those periods cause I was off of school which means I haven't had a break at all from work and school. So I was planning on just working part-time once I graduate and take some time to myself and to just relax my mind, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Well... here's the issue. On Tuesday I was told there was an HR position that had opened up and I should apply for it because we are not sure when another opportunity will arise. Now I know it's not for sure that I will be getting the position or anything it just has me worried that I will be overwhelmed because again, I won't have had much of a break. But then I would only be working not going to school and working at the same time. I just don't even know what to think, I want to make sure I take every opportunity I can I just don't want to burn out..

I'm so confused :sad: rant over

I will say about 3 weeks ago I got my first full time job. I've done work+school, I've done 2 part time jobs at once, and I've done 1 part time job, and this full time job seems to give me the most free time. Since you're only having the one responsibility instead of juggling things, it's a lot easier on the mind, and full time jobs usually have fixed schedules so you aren't dealing with the irregular shifting schedules of a part time job.

4 hours ago, micheee said:

Hi all, so I will be graduating from university in April with a bachelors degree in Commerce for Human Resources Management but I'm kind of nervous as to where my life leads now. I've heard so many people say it's hard to find a good HR job. Where I work now I am being mentored in HR so I have my foot in the door that way which is great. My mentor is really supportive and shown me so many things that would help me to get an HR position with them for sure one day.

Now I have been going to school for 2 years straight (spring and summer semesters included) so I've only ever had 2 weeks off of school between terms. Well, being the smart person I am, I would always pick up extra shifts during those periods cause I was off of school which means I haven't had a break at all from work and school. So I was planning on just working part-time once I graduate and take some time to myself and to just relax my mind, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Well... here's the issue. On Tuesday I was told there was an HR position that had opened up and I should apply for it because we are not sure when another opportunity will arise. Now I know it's not for sure that I will be getting the position or anything it just has me worried that I will be overwhelmed because again, I won't have had much of a break. But then I would only be working not going to school and working at the same time. I just don't even know what to think, I want to make sure I take every opportunity I can I just don't want to burn out..

I'm so confused :sad: rant over

Most good companies will work with you a bit.  Do whatever you think is best for you, but know that you can ask to start like a month after you graduate to give yourself a break.  Looking for a job can be stressful and I wish you the best! 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎22 at 6:54 PM, sajixx said:

I will say about 3 weeks ago I got my first full time job. I've done work+school, I've done 2 part time jobs at once, and I've done 1 part time job, and this full time job seems to give me the most free time. Since you're only having the one responsibility instead of juggling things, it's a lot easier on the mind, and full time jobs usually have fixed schedules so you aren't dealing with the irregular shifting schedules of a part time job.

Okay that makes sense! I'm hoping to get the HR position, they have a fixed schedule for sure which is good. I did end up applying for HR manager but the Area HR manager has left the company so they are trying to find someone to fill that role first which gives me a bit more time. I will done school next Tuesday so hopefully I don't have to worry about an interview until after that.. 

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎22 at 7:58 PM, emily_speck_15 said:

Most good companies will work with you a bit.  Do whatever you think is best for you, but know that you can ask to start like a month after you graduate to give yourself a break.  Looking for a job can be stressful and I wish you the best! 

Thank you! I will definitely see where it goes from here. I applied for the position, I don't want to let it pass me by! I'm hoping to get a few weeks off if I do end up getting the role. *finger crossed*