Makeup Fanatics Unite!

Naamah D.

Does anyone here really love makeup? What colors do you usually wear? Any favorite brands? I just got a bunch of makeup from Tarte and have been using one of the eyeshadow palettes and lip colors every single day. I stick to colorful eyeshadows sometimes neutral eyeshadows, BB cream, concealer, sometimes powder foundation, lipstick, liquid lipstick (the Too Faced melted matte lipsticks are my favorites), lip liner, lip glosses (dark, bright, neutral, sparkly...I love them all!) and mascara but I have to be very careful with mascara because I have very small eyelashes and volume mascaras make them get weighed down. Length mascaras are my best bet. I also use eyeshadow primer because it prevents creases and makes my eyeshadows look even more colorful. For eyeliner I use an angled eyeshadow brush and a dark brown or colorful eyeshadow. I don't wear black eyeshadow because it makes me look like a raccoon in four hours or so. 

Oh man, I made an account just to reply to this. I LOVE makeup, although I don't wear it every day because I love sleeping in just a little bit more.

Eyeshadow is my favorite because there are so many different colors, brands, and palettes to experiment with. I feel like with foundation or concealer, you find one and that's the one you buy from now on usually. Right now my favorite palette is the Huda Beauty Desert Dusk one - the colors are a little too bright for my face, but it is still so pretty.

Apart from that, I really like UD, but I buy the pots instead of the palettes because I find the colors in the palettes to be hit or miss.

Oh, and I'm also "somewhere in New England" too! :)

I have been a fan of makeup since Kandy Johnson was just starting off. I used to copy all her makeup styles and I would even buy the brands she said were her favorite. 

I used to wear very heavy makeup, but now I really love the minimalist look. With only a small amount of foundation, eye shadow, bronzer, and mascara. I rarely do my eyebrows anymore because I had them microbladed. 

In my makeup bag I have both my heavy makeup and daily minimal makeup look :

- Bare minerals complex rescue foundation with spf. 

- Bare minerals mineral veil (Highlighter) 

- Bare minerals blush

- Makeup forever primer

- Tarte paaarty blush

- Smashbox color correcting stick - green

- Benefit Watts up! (highlighter) 

- Urban Decay baked bronzer

- Make up forever ultra HD foundation 

- Make up forever ultra HD concealer 

- Make up forever HD powder 

- Anastasia brow powder 

- Naked palette

- Naked 2 palette

- Naked 3 palette

- Anastasia Prism palette 

- Cover girl lashblast mascara 

- Lancome monsieur big mascara 

- Kat Von D Shade + light contour palette 

47 minutes ago, Kute said:

I have been a fan of makeup since Kandy Johnson was just starting off. I used to copy all her makeup styles and I would even buy the brands she said were her favorite. 

I used to wear very heavy makeup, but now I really love the minimalist look. With only a small amount of foundation, eye shadow, bronzer, and mascara. I rarely do my eyebrows anymore because I had them microbladed. 

In my makeup bag I have both my heavy makeup and daily minimal makeup look :

- Bare minerals complex rescue foundation with spf. 

- Bare minerals mineral veil (Highlighter) 

- Bare minerals blush

- Makeup forever primer

- Tarte paaarty blush

- Smashbox color correcting stick - green

- Benefit Watts up! (highlighter) 

- Urban Decay baked bronzer

- Make up forever ultra HD foundation 

- Make up forever ultra HD concealer 

- Make up forever HD powder 

- Anastasia brow powder 

- Naked palette

- Naked 2 palette

- Naked 3 palette

- Anastasia Prism palette 

- Cover girl lashblast mascara 

- Lancome monsieur big mascara 

- Kat Von D Shade + light contour palette 

I am glad you mentioned Bare Minerals!  I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Bare Minerals and/or mineral foundations.  Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that I am SEVERELY allergic to Noxema.  Who would think that Noxema would cause them to break out?  It was SOOOOOOOO awful.  When I started wearing makeup, I started wearing Covergirl foundation which had Noxema in it.  I did not realize it was the Noxema causing me to break out.  I figured it was related to the fact that I wearing foundation and it was clogging my pores.  I mean, logical assumption, right?  So, I bought ALL KINDS of Noxema cleansers and toners and my skin got SO BAD.  I got Cystic Acne and my face was SO red, swollen, puffy and broken out that I just piled on MORE Covergirl foundation.  Eventually (never figuring it out) I switched to a different brand and things got better, but I was still using the Noxema cleansers, so it wasn't great until I saw a dermatologist.  So, fast forward many years, into adulthood, and I bought, dah dah dah, Covergirl.  My face broke out HORRIBLY!  Got some noxema toner pads, WOW! MUCH WORSE! That's when I put it together that I NEVER needed a dermatologist and I went through my entire teen years using that crap that was just making things worse.:sad01_anim: So, I simply continued washing with Ivory soap and within 1 week, I was cleared up.  So, needless to say, Noxema, Covergirl, and any other product containing Noxema is on my BANNED for life list.  LOL.  

As far as colors.  I have brown eyes that are soooooo dark they are almost black.  You can barely see my pupil.  I love wearing browns, grays, nudes, and warm/neutral tones.  I wear maybe a touch of brown eyeliner, and dark brown mascara to make my already long lashes look longer and fuller.  Sometimes wear blush, but not too much.  I love lipstick however.  I really like the darker shades.  My favorite is Raisin.  I like colorlast.  I like chestnut, toast, taupe, or coffee colors too.  I line my lips first, then apply the color.  I have VERY FULL lips as well.  I did NOT like them when I was younger, but everyone wants full lips nowadays, and go through a LOT to achieve them.  I have them naturally (although people think they are not natural- lol- I can't win) so I am lucky. 

4 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

I am glad you mentioned Bare Minerals!  I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Bare Minerals and/or mineral foundations.  Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that I am SEVERELY allergic to Noxema.  Who would think that Noxema would cause them to break out?  It was SOOOOOOOO awful.  When I started wearing makeup, I started wearing Covergirl foundation which had Noxema in it.  I did not realize it was the Noxema causing me to break out.  I figured it was related to the fact that I wearing foundation and it was clogging my pores.  I mean, logical assumption, right?  So, I bought ALL KINDS of Noxema cleansers and toners and my skin got SO BAD.  I got Cystic Acne and my face was SO red, swollen, puffy and broken out that I just piled on MORE Covergirl foundation.  Eventually (never figuring it out) I switched to a different brand and things got better, but I was still using the Noxema cleansers, so it wasn't great until I saw a dermatologist.  So, fast forward many years, into adulthood, and I bought, dah dah dah, Covergirl.  My face broke out HORRIBLY!  Got some noxema toner pads, WOW! MUCH WORSE! That's when I put it together that I NEVER needed a dermatologist and I went through my entire teen years using that crap that was just making things worse.:sad01_anim: So, I simply continued washing with Ivory soap and within 1 week, I was cleared up.  So, needless to say, Noxema, Covergirl, and any other product containing Noxema is on my BANNED for life list.  LOL.  

As far as colors.  I have brown eyes that are soooooo dark they are almost black.  You can barely see my pupil.  I love wearing browns, grays, nudes, and warm/neutral tones.  I wear maybe a touch of brown eyeliner, and dark brown mascara to make my already long lashes look longer and fuller.  Sometimes wear blush, but not too much.  I love lipstick however.  I really like the darker shades.  My favorite is Raisin.  I like colorlast.  I like chestnut, toast, taupe, or coffee colors too.  I line my lips first, then apply the color.  I have VERY FULL lips as well.  I did NOT like them when I was younger, but everyone wants full lips nowadays, and go through a LOT to achieve them.  I have them naturally (although people think they are not natural- lol- I can't win) so I am lucky. 

Yes! Brown mascara. Thats what i use!  It should be more popular! I see girls sometimes wearing black when their hair color is brown or blonde and it just looks off in my opinion. I've only ever had problems with mac cosmetics so I will never touch it again.  That is crazy that you are allergic to that, and now it makes me wonder how many people with acne actually have that problem due to their cleanser/ make up reactions and dont know it! Very interesting!   Actually I look good in the darker colors of lipstick as well, but I dont like wearing it because I also have large lips and it makes them look ridiculously full. I know that look is in right now/.. but IDK i just cant come to justifying that look on myself. 

I didn't start wearing make-up until I was in my 30s... and being the nerd that I am, I bought a text book to show me how lol. I never had much success choosing products, plus I was nervous to try different things.

About a year and a half I got an ipsy account on the advice of a friend - omg it has revolutionized my life hahaha. I have tried things I never would have otherwise and some of them have become 'staples'. 

Some brands/ products I've received or tried recently that I love:

Face: I don't do much by way of concealer, but I do like a little under my eyes. I've got the Stila colour palette (I only really like the pink cream though, so I'd call that a half-win). I love the smash box look less tired (light) stick and camera ready BB eye cream. I just do one or the other.

Bronzer: OK, this is something I'd never have experimented with, but I've had a few now from ipsy. The best ones, in my opinion, are tarte Park Ave Princess and Bella Pierre Autumn Glow (oh... yeah.. I'm an olive skin tone, so that certainly influences my choices). 

Highlighter!!!!: This, along with blush and lipgloss, is my main thing. So LOOOOOVE these! Best one by far is Mica #3, though I also adore Nyx - both Gleam and Sunbeam, City Color Glow Duo, Manna Kadar Bronzer, Benefit Sunbeam, and Nomad in Midnight Sun.

Blush: I have so many AWESOME ones I'd never have tried on my own. Here are my faves: City Colour Be Matte trio in fresh melon, blackberry, and guava, So Susan Blush and Glow in Rose Rust, Benefit Sugarbomb, Bang Beauty in Smoked Peach, tarte in feisty, Pacifica in Wildrose, and the Balm in Instain.

Lips: Stila lip products are amazing. I adore the liquid lipstick in Patina, Fiore, and Amore. I also love the reg lipstick in Aubrey and Becca (that was a risky purchase that paid off - the colour is really bright but surprisingly cool). I love LA Splash, esp in Flix N Chill and Rose Garden. Some other faves: Kokie liquid in Desire, Vasanti in Super Mom, Mellow reg lipstick in Posh and liquid in Tehran, Nayah in Smoke, Tarte lip paint in Delish, and Manna Kadar All of Me. My fave pencil is Lord & Berry in Intimacy.

Eyes: I recently ended a lengthy love affair with eyelash extensions - when I had them I wore zero eye make up. So, this is new territory to me. Prior to extensions I only used brown mascara, too, but now I have Lise Watier 24 hr Glam in black. I don't wear it often, but when I do I typically only apply it to the tips. I haven't really moved on to eyeshadow yet. I think that will be the next experiment. Sounds like a primer is key from reading everyone else's posts. I have a pretty one (thanks yet again, ipsy) from Hikari called Envy... but it's so bold and glittery I haven't had occasion to wear it yet. I do own Clinique Teddy Bear, which is a nice neutral.

I've also discovered brushes are key! I have almost the whole line from Luxie - they are fantastic. I also have a Skone brush for highlighter, Smashbox - one for under the eyes and one for highlighter, and a Lise Watier one I use for a bit of powder to set under the eyes. 

Sorry that was so long lol.. but I've become a fanatic and have tried so many great things lately :)

I'm not necessarily a makeup fanatic, probably because I have no skills. :laugh:

But I do wear makeup when I go out, not all the time when we go for walks and stuff because I'm only gone for maybe an hour and it's more trouble than it's worth. I only buy drugstore brands because that's all that's available in my area.

I used to use Cover Girl products all the time, and Maybelline eyeliners. I found out I have eye allergies to some makeups so I have to watch what I wear. I have very light and bright blue eyes so I love my black eyeliner and mascara. After discovering my allergies, I tried Almay's automatic black eyeliner and it said it was black but it was not a black. I like intense black and this was more of a grey. Never used it again and I still think it's sitting at the bottom of my makeup bag, waiting to be turfed. I now use Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black. I recently purchased ELF's black eyeliner pen as well and it glides on so nice and it's so cheap. I was worried I'd have an allergy to it but I don't, so it might be my next go to. I like the Loreal Butterfly Effect Mascaras but right now I'm using a Revlon one and don't particularly like it, it's clumping too much for my liking and is not waterproof.

I don't wear eyeshadows unless it's for an event or something. The last time I wore eyeshadow was for my sister's wedding and it technically wasn't eyeshadow. My dress was Navy Blue and the wedding colours were blue and silver. I used my black eyeliner like I normally do on my upper and lower lash lines. On the outside half of my lids I used a Navy Blue Eyeliner pencil and the other half I used a Silver Eyeliner pencil. I blended them together with my brush and applied a liquid white glitter eyeliner on top my entire lid to add shimmer and seal it all in. It looked so good when I was done and the best part is I did my makeup in the van while driving through the mountains on our way there. :D

I don't use a lot of foundations anymore but the Revlon Photo Ready liquid foundation is my go to. I have a couple concealers from Revlon too and love them. Normally I just brush on a bit of their Colorstay Powder Foundation.

Revlon is my go-to brand for basically everything now. I have a few of their lip glosses, lip balm and lip crayons. I stick mostly to pinks and light purples. I do have a couple nudes in my bag for those days when you want something less dramatic. My hair is firey red right now so  I'm picking my more red shades to wear when I go out.

To take it all off I just use a baby wipe. They work better than any makeup remover I've tried and I always have them on hand for my girls.

Ooooh Makeup!! I love makeup. My aunt is a MUA and she used to practice on my face when I was a kid so I have a relationship with makeup for a very long time. I use a variety of products too and love eye shadow because of the variety of colors. I'm currently trying to reduce how much I have by using it daily to work. I tend to match my eye makeup to what I'm wearing. But it takes time to apply as well *sigh*. Some days I revert to just a primer and powder foundation to save time but I feel like it still takes too long. I also like to try different looks so I experiment  as well. I even did a course where we did day looks, night looks, wedding makeup, plastic and carnival. I want to do an air brush course as well and learn to apply foundation with airbrush. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Kute said:

Yes! Brown mascara. Thats what i use!  It should be more popular! I see girls sometimes wearing black when their hair color is brown or blonde and it just looks off in my opinion. I've only ever had problems with mac cosmetics so I will never touch it again.  That is crazy that you are allergic to that, and now it makes me wonder how many people with acne actually have that problem due to their cleanser/ make up reactions and dont know it! Very interesting!   Actually I look good in the darker colors of lipstick as well, but I dont like wearing it because I also have large lips and it makes them look ridiculously full. I know that look is in right now/.. but IDK i just cant come to justifying that look on myself. 

Yep, I used to wear black mascara and eyeliner when I was younger, and I suppose it made my, already very dark eyes look even darker.  Now I wear dark brown mascara and eyeliner and it accents what I already have.  I agree with you that black doesn't look right at times.  Especially with blonde hair.  Not at all.  I COMPLETELY agree with you about the fact that many teenagers could have allergenic acne and write it off as just being a teenager.  Case in point:  My brother LOVED dial soap.  So because of that, my whole family had to use it.  Every time I would use it, I would sneeze and sneeze.  I realized I was allergic to it, to some degree anyway.  So I stopped using it and started using Ivory.  Well, the acne on my back and chest cleared right up.  NONE, ZIP.  Just on my face, HORRIBLY.  But, I mean, Noxema COULDN'T be the cause of it because that is supposed to cure it, not cause it, right?  I never gave it a thought.  My brother on the other hand, had acne terrible all over.  But he loved his dial soap.  When he got married, his wife didn't like dial soap, and, well, what she said, went.  So did the dial soap.  LOL.  And, so did his acne.  Yep, he stopped using dial soap and his acne cleared right up!!  I told him, "I'm not surprised that you are allergic to it, since I was allergic to it too."  As an adult, I tried Aloe scented Ivory soap, and bam, my back and chest broke out.  Maybe it's the fragrance in the soaps.  Although Lever 2000 is ok.  I really feel bad because I would guess that a good percentage of teens suffering from acne are actually having a reaction from something they are using and they don't realize it.  I suffered emotionally and all I had to do was stop using that stupid Noxema.  Not only did I NOT do that, I piled on MORE and MORE of it.  You can't even imagine what my skin looked like.  It hurt to even touch it, that's how bad it was.  Now, my skin is so clear that I don't even wear make up unless I am going out somewhere special with hubby. 

I looked at your picture and your lips aren't as full as mine are.  LOL.  I was teased mercilessly as a child.  So I guess now, because that is what everyone wants and can't have without help, I am flaunting it. LOL. People used to call me the N word.  A black girl in one of my classes said to me, "I've never seen a white girl with lips so big."  I said, "Black people aren't the only ones blessed with beautiful lips."  She said, "I like that.  You go girl."

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Mouseykins said:

I'm not necessarily a makeup fanatic, probably because I have no skills. :laugh:

But I do wear makeup when I go out, not all the time when we go for walks and stuff because I'm only gone for maybe an hour and it's more trouble than it's worth. I only buy drugstore brands because that's all that's available in my area.

I used to use Cover Girl products all the time, and Maybelline eyeliners. I found out I have eye allergies to some makeups so I have to watch what I wear. I have very light and bright blue eyes so I love my black eyeliner and mascara. After discovering my allergies, I tried Almay's automatic black eyeliner and it said it was black but it was not a black. I like intense black and this was more of a grey. Never used it again and I still think it's sitting at the bottom of my makeup bag, waiting to be turfed. I now use Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen in Blackest Black. I recently purchased ELF's black eyeliner pen as well and it glides on so nice and it's so cheap. I was worried I'd have an allergy to it but I don't, so it might be my next go to. I like the Loreal Butterfly Effect Mascaras but right now I'm using a Revlon one and don't particularly like it, it's clumping too much for my liking and is not waterproof.

I don't wear eyeshadows unless it's for an event or something. The last time I wore eyeshadow was for my sister's wedding and it technically wasn't eyeshadow. My dress was Navy Blue and the wedding colours were blue and silver. I used my black eyeliner like I normally do on my upper and lower lash lines. On the outside half of my lids I used a Navy Blue Eyeliner pencil and the other half I used a Silver Eyeliner pencil. I blended them together with my brush and applied a liquid white glitter eyeliner on top my entire lid to add shimmer and seal it all in. It looked so good when I was done and the best part is I did my makeup in the van while driving through the mountains on our way there. :D

I don't use a lot of foundations anymore but the Revlon Photo Ready liquid foundation is my go to. I have a couple concealers from Revlon too and love them. Normally I just brush on a bit of their Colorstay Powder Foundation.

Revlon is my go-to brand for basically everything now. I have a few of their lip glosses, lip balm and lip crayons. I stick mostly to pinks and light purples. I do have a couple nudes in my bag for those days when you want something less dramatic. My hair is firey red right now so  I'm picking my more red shades to wear when I go out.

To take it all off I just use a baby wipe. They work better than any makeup remover I've tried and I always have them on hand for my girls.

Ha ha, that's funny because I really have no skills either.  I LOVE the "smoky eye" look, but mine just comes out looking like I was punched in the eye:who-let-rip:.  I wish I did have more make up skill, but, eh, I guess it works.  Believe me, I only buy drug store brands too.  No way am I going to Macy's or whatever.  LOL.  Heck, I even get the stuff at the discount stores when I can find my colors. :happydance:

I can picture you now, firey red hair and bright blue eyes, wow!, sounds gorgeous!  I have very nice, deep brown eyes, but my hair is just blah, medium brown.

• 6 months later...

I love all makeup, but I do not wear eyeliner or mascara, since I wear glasses, and it's hard to see...well, really I do not wear any eye makeup because I am so lazy :D I'll only do it for special occasions.

My new makeup I found is Dior Airflash Spray Foundation. I am no expert on applying makeup, but this stuff is too cool. You shake the can (like spray paint!), and I spritz 4-5 times on my makeup brush. I then apply. So easy!

I love Too Faced Snow Bunny blush. And Dior Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm.

Most of my money goes to Korean and Japanese facial products, but technically, that is not makeup, right?

100% of all my makeup I purchase from Sephora.

? 

• 4 months later...

Oh man am I glad you started this topic... I've been a beauty junkie for years and have more makeup than 3 people could use up in a lifetime. My favorite brand is Chantecaille, they make my perfect foundation, mascara and lipgloss. Other than that I just fill in my brows. Been going for the natural look lately which is a shame since I have so many great eyeshadows.