negg stamp: to wait or no?

charelan

So I messed up this year and, although I was on neo and got the clue every day I missed finding one of Topsi's neggs on time to get all of the prizes. I am an avid stamp collector - it's the main thing I aim for in any event. Since I missed getting the decorative negg stamp from the event I need to buy it. That being said, I've never been in the position before of wanting to buy an event stamp.

I've been watching the prices since the first day in the hopes of getting one 'at the right time' (whenever that is)... On the first day the cheapest I saw was around 850k. The following day I saw 750k. Day 3 was back to 850k and now - Day 4 - I am seeing about 1 mil. 

I realize that I have gained no information from watching this over 4 days.. I am impatient and the whole thing is driving me nuts (esp since it's all due to a really dumb mistake on my part - I hate constantly remembering that and getting annoyed all over again lol). So I'm wondering - has anyone bought an event stamp in the past, and is there typically a 'best' time to buy? Part of me says in the beginning bc they won't be making any more... but part of me thinks later after the big rush.  Any advice would be terrific.

I think getting the stamp asap is the best option for items that are only given out for events. They can only become more scarce as people either stop playing, or place them in their album, feed them to their skeith, etc....  take for example the day and night collectable scarab https://items.jellyneo.net/item/55519/price-history/

I sold it in 2016 for 3ish mil i believe. and now its worth 10 mil. It was obtainable through the game masters challenge only. Same for this negg stamp, its only going to go up in value as the years go on. 

5 minutes ago, Kute said:

I think getting the stamp asap is the best option for items that are only given out for events. They can only become more scarce as people either stop playing, or place them in their album, feed them to their skeith, etc....  take for example the day and night collectable scarab https://items.jellyneo.net/item/55519/price-history/

I sold it in 2016 for 3ish mil i believe. and now its worth 10 mil. It was obtainable through the game masters challenge only. Same for this negg stamp, its only going to go up in value as the years go on. 

WOW! I just opened the link you posted and it is unbelievable that a scarab sells for so much. Well I know there are plenty of items that are this expensive but I don't see them often because I don't seek them out. It just astounds me when I see stuff like this. I have never owned an item worth so much! I do have the stamp from the Festival but I plan to put it in my album because I collect stamps. My head is spinning over that Scarab LOL.

I fell for this trap last year with the Kari and Topsi stamp. I missed one day of the festival, didn't get the stamp, and felt desperate to get my hands on one before they were all snatched up or the price inflated majorly. I bought one within a day or two of the festival ending for 1m, which I thought was a steal at the time (some were going for 1.5m). Well, now they're on the ssw for about 400k. Needless to say, I wish I'd waited. 

My advice, based on this experience, would be to wait at least a week or two. The price is still rising right now because of people in your situation who will shell out to alleviate their anxiety about not winning the stamp. But that frenzy will die down, and the price will drop again. It will eventually inflate like @Kute said, because the supply is limited, but that's something that happens over the course of years, not days or even weeks. (That scarab is five years old, so has definitely become more scarce by now. But you can also see in the price history that it initially sold for 1.25m, but dropped as low as 750k six months later before inflating again.)

I also suggest you wait a couple weeks .. even a month .. price will stabilize .. Neopians will be busy with the next best thing (plot prizes , faerie quests etc) and the demand on the stamp will become less

speaking of that day and night scarab , i missed out on it bcz of ONE green tick (although i'm 100% positive i played all the qualifying games required it didn't register and my ticket was ignored) so every time i see it or someone mentions it i get salty :P 

I can't remember if I got this Kari and Topsi stamp last year. If I did and I kept it does anyone know where I would look in my stamp album for it?

37 minutes ago, Granny63020 said:

I can't remember if I got this Kari and Topsi stamp last year. If I did and I kept it does anyone know where I would look in my stamp album for it?

It should be in the Other III page of your stamp album.

@charelan I'd be hesitant to pay any more than 500k for an event stamp like this one. I'd wait a bit before you purchase to see if prices stabilize a bit more.

3 minutes ago, Mouseykins said:

It should be in the Other III page of your stamp album.

@charelan I'd be hesitant to pay any more than 500k for an event stamp like this one. I'd wait a bit before you purchase to see if prices stabilize a bit more.

Checked and I don't have it. I do have the hulking wraith stamp there and thats the only one. Darn it!

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Angeló said:

I also suggest you wait a couple weeks .. even a month .. price will stabilize .. Neopians will be busy with the next best thing (plot prizes , faerie quests etc) and the demand on the stamp will become less

speaking of that day and night scarab , i missed out on it bcz of ONE green tick (although i'm 100% positive i played all the qualifying games required it didn't register and my ticket was ignored) so every time i see it or someone mentions it i get salty :P 

Hmmm, boy do I know how you feel.  Grrrr! There are a couple of things that get me salty when I think of them too.  One thing is, this faerie quest event.  Every year, they give 1.5 days when they start the event.  So I end up waiting, because I start instantly!  Well, this year, I didn't start on day one, but I didn't worry because, heck, we have 1.5 days, right?!  WRONG!!! The one year that I don't start instantly is the one year they decide they aren't going to give 1.5 days.  NOW THAT makes me salty.  Lol.  But at this point, I really don't care anymore.  lol. I am over it now.  Whatever.  Uh, not! lol

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Neopets9738368 said:

Depends on the event..... usually from the  festival things will balance out. I’d wait.

Any other event, buy ASAP.

I have to agree with you here.  I think Char should wait until things even out a bit.