Shall I change my shop?

enitul

Hello fellow neopians and beyond.

Ever since I have started playing neopets (which is now basically a part of my day/life) I have made my shop a 5 np one. Everything was/is 5 np. No more, no less. But I started thinking... Is it better if I start being a 'normal' shop? With prizes which I think will suit the items to maybe make some more profit? Or will that be like I betray all the people who liked my shop for the 5 np part all these years? I'd like to hear the opinion of all of you whom it may concern. :)

depends on what you want. Do you want to keep a fun shop where everything is 5 NP or do you want to make some profit? It is your decision, not your "fans" you can change how often you want and whenever you want. I would prefer making profit, but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Duma said:

depends on what you want. Do you want to keep a fun shop where everything is 5 NP or do you want to make some profit? It is your decision, not your "fans" you can change how often you want and whenever you want. I would prefer making profit, but that's just me.

True. I always told myself 'I don't need to make much money as long as people are happy with the items they buy'. And I'm gonna hold onto that even if I change the prizes. The 5 np is kind my thing I guess, so I just might hold onto that... Still... I wanna hear the opinions of other people before I make the final decision. :)

I changed my shop last year to be one that offers items cheaper so that newbies and those with not much NP could get the basics. I knew resellers would take advantage but for the most part they don't wipe me out too often. I was offering everything cheaply (except when people donated items to me for the shop), with the occassional high ticket item, and I wondered whether I was ripping myself off too much. But for the most part this shop works well for me. I think if you can find a happy medium (some at 5 NP plus some others at a higher price to cover costs) that will allow you to make profit and keep your regulars, then that's the way to go. 

4 hours ago, enitul said:

Hello fellow neopians and beyond.

Ever since I have started playing neopets (which is now basically a part of my day/life) I have made my shop a 5 np one. Everything was/is 5 np. No more, no less. But I started thinking... Is it better if I start being a 'normal' shop? With prizes which I think will suit the items to maybe make some more profit? Or will that be like I betray all the people who liked my shop for the 5 np part all these years? I'd like to hear the opinion of all of you whom it may concern. :)

I ran across your shop earlier today while I was actually looking for something. I have the SSW and your shop had the lowest cost of the item I wanted. Yours was 5np and the next highest was something like 250. When I got to your shop and realize everything was 5np I went ahead and bought most everything. When I finished and went to my inventory I realize there was about 10000 + np worth of stuff. I don't feel bad because had I not bought it someone else would have. In the future I suggest you use the shop wizard as a guide to see what you should charge. At least you will be able to see what others are charging and then if you want to charge 5 np you can. If you need help pricing an item please let me know and I will help you since I have the SSW.

I love it when shops price stuff super cheap. I don't use my shop at all anymore. I think that I might open back up at some point, but it is not worth it to me. I used to have almost everything priced at 50np which I thought was cheap. I love it when shops have several items under 100nps. When I am looking for something in particular I will usually buy four or five of the items priced under 100 nps as a thank you for having a good deal. I usually end up donating the cheap items to the money tree so that I can sprinkle a little love around. If I ever stopped at your shop I might have bought every item there.

Hmm... this is a tricky one. I like the idea of a 5np shop but at the same time there are definitely items that you could sell for more that would still be a great deal for people - like codestones etc. I think a blend like some others suggested would be good.

My shop has battle weapons, plushies, petpets and toys. Sometimes I'll get a higher ticket item (codestone or dubloons) that I sell for auction pricing. But all my other pricing, I think, is extremely reasonable. All my battle magic items are a set price (35-50NP) and all my plushies and toys are 25NP. I keep everything pretty low. Just trying to help out my fellow Neopians!

I love the idea of a 5 NP shop (I went to take a look at what you're selling, but it appears you're all sold out at the moment)! I think a lot of people prefer making a profit, but I personally never cared about that, so if you enjoy selling everything cheaply, just keep doing that. :smile:

(One note on this though: while I don't actively use my shop on Neopets, I did play a similar game in which I did use my shop a lot, and I ended up pricing everything higher than I wanted to, because I realised most people would just buy in bulk and then resell everything for much higher prices. I guess what I mostly enjoyed was getting people things they needed, not getting people business opportunities. So actually I just enjoyed the thought of getting people stuff they needed, since in reality, most people who bought the things didn't need them at all. I know this is how the free market works, so they had every right to do so, but I didn't like it. :P)

16 minutes ago, Nielo said:

most people would just buy in bulk and then resell everything for much higher prices

I am this person. I will shamelessly buy out someone's entire shop and resell everything at market price to make a profit. 

If your goal is just to have a cute theme to your shop, i.e. everything there costs 5nps, and you don't mind people like me doing stuff like that, then by all means keep at it. If you're more like Nielo and want to be nice to people by giving them a discount without people like me taking advantage of it, then I would suggest this: price your things just a little bit below ssw price. Depending on the value of the item, this could be 50nps less or 2000nps less, that's up for you to determine. But speaking as one of those people who will absolutely take advantage of a cheap shop for my own benefit, I'm looking for a larger profit margin than that and probably wouldn't bother. However, someone who genuinely wants an item for themselves would be happy to find it for a few hundred nps cheaper than other shops. 

Thanks you all for these opinions. :) While it doesn't make it easier to make a decision, it helps me getting a better view of what others do. I think I will keep the 5np thing going for at least the end of this month. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision by then. But only time will tell. And feel free to keep telling me tips and experiences. It's something I really appreciate. :D