Got a new laptop!

jellysundae

oh my gosh. Thats awesome that you have a new toy! Im still getting used to mine. I was also considering downloading minecraft! Since I have windows now I feel its more capable for games. How exciting. I have a question, can you play minecraft by yourself or do you have to play with others who are online as well like a mmo style game??

1 hour ago, Kute said:

oh my gosh. Thats awesome that you have a new toy! Im still getting used to mine. I was also considering downloading minecraft! Since I have windows now I feel its more capable for games. How exciting. I have a question, can you play minecraft by yourself or do you have to play with others who are online as well like a mmo style game??

Yup! You can definitely play on your own, I've never been brave enough to join a server, cos I'm kinda weird like that, lol. I go hunting for villages and make them pretty :3 OFC now I have a new machine I've lost the worlds on my other one, but I'm excited to start afresh on 6 new worlds. :D I believe you can save your worlds and play them on various devices now though, so that's pretty good. I'm really out of date because it's about 3 years since I could play it.

I'll now get to spend forEVAR going through the Painterly Pack options to make it look all purty. There's bound to be quite literally a gazillion options to choose from on that now. :arrowhead:

8 minutes ago, lojoco49 said:

Yay!! I love it when they're all new and shiny and fast and you haven't yet dropped crumbs all through the keys :D have fun!

*snorts* I'll admit I checked the keyboard quick after reading that :ph34r: Looks like the construction of this one means there's very little ingress opportunity for crumbs, actually, BONUS!! :lmaosmiley: I'm sure carbon-dating on some of the ones in my old lappy would show they've been there a VERY long time. xDD

Really happy with this so far :D It's an Acer Aspire 6 that I got, a pretty middle of the range all-rounder. I did fire up Minecraft last night and that works just fine.

Now I need to work out how to zoom all pages in permanently because everything's slightly smaller on this screen, I'm sure there's a function for that somewhere, but going from Vista to Windows 10 I've no clue where even to start looking because everything's so different! So I'm settling for zooming tabs individually via the view option on the menu bar, just one click and they're back to the size I'm used to, it's whether they stay like that always now . . . I guess I'll find that out soon enough. xD

19 hours ago, Angeló said:

congrats :) 

what brand is it ? 

and plz don't abandon us to Minecraft. i can't stand that game ...

It's an Acer, I dunno if that's a decent brand or not. It had better reviews than the Dell of comparable price/capacity, so I went with this one. There weren't really any other options within the price range I was aiming for.

Nah, I'll not vanish, I'm very happy to have Minecraft as an option again now though. :D Why don't you like it?

EDIT:

@Angeló you may be happy to know that I've set the TDN Dailies page as my home page (admittedly to get rid of the MSN news page but still, TDN's the first thing I see now). Though I remembered this morning that I need to get all my Big Fish games onto this lappy as this won't crash when I play them! and THAT means I can also rejoin the Game Club on there now and get new games galore! :lmaosmiley:

Acer is from India and it's got good reviews .. my friend bought one a few years ago and he's not complaining

the thing is , every brand has its own faulty components (they do it on purpose too to keep the consumers buying)

Dell with the screen and battery .. HP the battery .. Toshiba gets too hot .. Acer often has problems with the speakers etc ...

I don't like the graphics of Minecraft hehe ...

46 minutes ago, Angeló said:

Acer is from India and it's got good reviews .. my friend bought one a few years ago and he's not complaining

the thing is , every brand has its own faulty components (they do it on purpose too to keep the consumers buying)

Dell with the screen and battery .. HP the battery .. Toshiba gets too hot .. Acer often has problems with the speakers etc ...

I don't like the graphics of Minecraft hehe ...

The speakers on this are amazing in comparison to my old laptop, lol. Though ofc because there's no disk drive on this I can't listen to any of my CDs on it even if I was inclined to. xD But stuff on Youtube sounds great, a good depth of sound that I've never experienced on a computer previously. What kind of problem is liable to develop then?

Bog-standard Minecraft can be unattractive, yeah, though it's not bothering me now so I wonder if they've altered things a bit. I used to HATE how it looked and just couldn't play it without a texture pack, but now (seeing as added a texture pack have proved too much for my brain so far) I'm finding it looks fine.

15 hours ago, Yuiina said:

So... I expect that we'll see you less in here and neopets? :crying_anim:

Nope, you guys ain't getting rid of me that easily. :evil3:

Seriously though, I do my Neo stuff first, it's what I'm used to doing, and because of my MS if I deviate too much from what I normally do I get very confused, so I basically HAVE to do my Dailies before I do anything else, lol.

Congrats on the new laptop!! I don't play Minecraft, but you can apparently do a LOT with it in-game. I've even seen some retooled anime openings on youtube where most of everything was turned into minecraft style. I have NO idea HOW they created them though! LOL Like this vid. It's actually a comparison vid for Sword Art Online II. Between the actual opening, and the minecraft version a different user created.

OR, if you're not familiar with SAO2, maybe the first opening of Fullmetal Alchemist, brotherhood? The same user that made the vid below, also made the SAO2 minecraft style vid above, though a different user put them side by side.

Enjoy! XD

@Aquamentis12 Those are fun! Yeah there's a MASSIVE amount of stuff that can be done on Minecraft. I've never got into the server side of things myself, I prefer to potter about on my own, but I've seen videos of the things people build and it blew my mind. Setting up adventures and puzzles for other people to solve, it's super-clever.

• 3 weeks later...

Do they still offer the free upgrade to Windows 10? If they do, you probably should... Better security and runs better. In this day and age with ransomware and fake Microsoft customer service call centers... Glad to hear you got a new computer though.

On 4/22/2018 at 7:03 AM, jellysundae said:

because there's no disk drive on this I can't listen to any of my CDs

You should be able to purchase a cheap USB one to use for your laptop. My iMac doesn't have a disc drive either and I was going to spend the extra cash to get the Apple branded one but went with an Asus that is both Windows and Mac compatible. Mostly because of the design. In my Macbook my daughter crammed an old gift card into it and I had to delicately use tweezers to get it out. The Asus one has a drawer that pops out so if anything gets put in there that shouldn't be it's easier to get out. It takes up two of my USB ports and I always have it plugged in. My girls frequently watch movies on my computer. It's a great way to occupy them so I can watch a show on the TV or play my game on the PS4 in peace. ?

9 hours ago, sunny098 said:

Do they still offer the free upgrade to Windows 10? If they do, you probably should... Better security and runs better. In this day and age with ransomware and fake Microsoft customer service call centers... Glad to hear you got a new computer though.

This one has Windows 10, so all good. :nod_yes:

2 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

You should be able to purchase a cheap USB one to use for your laptop. My iMac doesn't have a disc drive either and I was going to spend the extra cash to get the Apple branded one but went with an Asus that is both Windows and Mac compatible. Mostly because of the design. In my Macbook my daughter crammed an old gift card into it and I had to delicately use tweezers to get it out. The Asus one has a drawer that pops out so if anything gets put in there that shouldn't be it's easier to get out. It takes up two of my USB ports and I always have it plugged in. My girls frequently watch movies on my computer. It's a great way to occupy them so I can watch a show on the TV or play my game on the PS4 in peace. ?

Yeah, when I got over the total disbelief of the lack of disk drive, lol, a quick bit of Googling showed me an external one was cheap as chips. I'm probably not actually likely to bother getting one, but it's good to know that the option is out there. :D

On 4/22/2018 at 6:03 AM, jellysundae said:

The speakers on this are amazing in comparison to my old laptop, lol. Though ofc because there's no disk drive on this I can't listen to any of my CDs on it even if I was inclined to. xD But stuff on Youtube sounds great, a good depth of sound that I've never experienced on a computer previously. What kind of problem is liable to develop then?

Bog-standard Minecraft can be unattractive, yeah, though it's not bothering me now so I wonder if they've altered things a bit. I used to HATE how it looked and just couldn't play it without a texture pack, but now (seeing as added a texture pack have proved too much for my brain so far) I'm finding it looks fine.

My desktop actually came with a disc drive, but sadly I had to use the slot for something else. :D I ended up pulling the disc drive out and got one of those USB 3.0 to SATA adapter and I plug it in when I need to read a disc (only came up like twice in years when I wanted to burn things to disc). Using an internal disc reader outside of the computer. :P That is one other that I think is a bit cheaper, just a bit cumbersome.