How can someone get 500 Caption Contest Votes ?

Angeló

some people are getting 400 - 500 votes in the CC in 2 days and they don't even belong to a guild ... i mean ... no one is THAT popular !!!

several of them too , not just one person hogging all the votes .. like the first has 500 and the second has 440 or smthg and the third has 390 ... 

and it'll keep rising over the next couple days until they hit 600 

are there auto-voting systems or smthg ? it's very suspicious in my opinion 

(just as a side note i don't think i got 20 votes yet)

I've never actually voted in this contest, nor have I paid any attention to it whatsoever, so I'm not at all sure of the normal amount of votes people get, but while I'm sure some votes can be accounted for due to the popularity of the people who entered, it'd make sense to me that a lot of people just vote for their favourite entries, regardless of who posted those. That's what I'd do. Perhaps there's also some kind of psychological factor, where people assume an entry must be really funny if it already has a fair amount of votes (perhaps they'll think it includes a reference to something that they missed), so they'll vote for it too.

Having read all the current entries, I think that most of the ones with a lot of votes are just really funny, so it might just be that a lot of people think they're the best entries.

And being in a guild or not doesn't mean much either, they could have been spam-requesting for votes on the neoboards. A lot of people do that too and if they're know on the boards they might have quite a lot of "followers". Plus it wouldn't surprise me if some used other means to have lots of friends/followers that they might use instead of the neo-guilds.

Someone who was helping on the quest boards had a link to vote for their caption as their neosignature. Even if their caption wasn't that funny, it was really easy to vote for them and they did look up a quest item for me...

6 minutes ago, hystrangea said:

Someone who was helping on the quest boards had a link to vote for their caption as their neosignature. Even if their caption wasn't that funny, it was really easy to vote for them and they did look up a quest item for me...

I was going to suggest this as well. I noticed every time I was on the Quest board someone had a "Vote for me" Link on their topic board. I've never tried to play the Caption Contest; so I am sure how the game works. Does the game display everyone's caption or just the first few hundred? I usually am on the Quest board helping people out... Maybe next year during the Faerie Quest Event I'll try this tactic. 

I believe you can vote for the Caption Contest every 4 hours. It could be more hours or less, but I know you can vote more than once. Most Caption Contest "entrants" get their friends to vote for their caption, and most friends will continue to vote for their caption every 4 hours. And, like @hystrangea, some people will vote for someone they don't know, just for seeing a post and a vote link in their signature, and/or if they help them out in a post. Some Neoboards have "regulars" - those people who always create a new board, when the old one is about to go "poof", and who always are posting on them. If you are a regular of that board, and others see you are in the Caption Contest by your signature, they may vote for your caption. For instance, take the "Kadding" board. Lots of Kadders who post regularly, and even more "lurkers".

And what @hrtbrk said. Even though "off site" advertising is against the rules, it can be very hard for JS to police that.

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

well its against the rules now to advertise 

(only in signatures) 

and that's not enough to garnish 600 votes ... 

That's REALLY stupid to not allow advertising outside of the site... Not sure I'd want to do those contests now xD If someone is taking the time and effort to advertise themselves, they should be allowed and encouraged IMO

That does seem like a lot of votes, but if they are advertising outside of site it could add up to that.

However even people not advertising outside could get that many in just a few days, for example our guild has a good 50 people that are active and post on the boards (maybe more if you count all the lurkers.) if all 50 were to vote every 4 hours for a total of a two days (6 votes per person a day x 50 is 300 and 300 x2 is 600 votes) then it's very possible they ARE just popular.

i remember when i used to advertise here , you guys constantly voted for me and placed me in the top 25 .. i often got in the top 10

but i can't seem to find any way now except if i cheated like @hrtbrk said .. and they should be reported ..

So I'm guessing most people don't actually care about the quality of their entry then, only about winning... whatever prize is attached to this contest? Is the prize that good? I mean, I personally wouldn't enjoy winning if it had nothing to do with people actually liking my caption, but instead only with asking them to vote.
It's probably also why I'd never vote for someone just because they asked, or just because I know them. I think I'm going to go back to forgetting this (popularity) contest exists now. XD

13 hours ago, Angeló said:

well its against the rules now to advertise 

(only in signatures) 

and that's not enough to garnish 600 votes ... 

This TDN forum announcement lists more rules than this Neopian Times article, but the Times does contain a tip that TDN doesn't. Besides neoboards sigs, you can also advertise on petpages, user lookups, and pet lookups (this is assuming the Times is reliable with information). However, I think the real reason some captions have garnered several hundred votes is just a simple matter of time. Voting lasts three whole weeks now, and if someone posts frequently on the neoboards this is plenty of time to advertise via your signature.

5 hours ago, BrassOtter said:

This TDN forum announcement lists more rules than this Neopian Times article, but the Times does contain a tip that TDN doesn't. Besides neoboards sigs, you can also advertise on petpages, user lookups, and pet lookups (this is assuming the Times is reliable with information). However, I think the real reason some captions have garnered several hundred votes is just a simple matter of time. Voting lasts three whole weeks now, and if someone posts frequently on the neoboards this is plenty of time to advertise via your signature.

they changed that rule - again - 

and changed the voting time to 1 week 

the new captions were posted on Tuesday (late Monday night) 

54 minutes ago, Angeló said:

they changed that rule - again - 

and changed the voting time to 1 week 

the new captions were posted on Tuesday (late Monday night) 

Ah man thats not fair to always be changing the rules. 

I still don't find it cheating to advertise your entries, (again STUPID RULE).

However @Nielo I don't think it's about a popularity contest. If someone is working hard to get their votes out there I don't see how that's "popular". Most "popularity" contests the popular people don't have to do jack and get votes through the roof. I mean a lot of people that advertise have pretty funny captions and I find that most of the ones that get entered or are in the top really aren't that funny. So I don't think it's wrong for voting for people that ask. That person is going out of their way to win an avatar or trophy (I would personally only do the Caption Contest for the avie and that's a big reason for people to work hard at it anywho)

Just now, Musical_Shoyru said:

I still don't find it cheating to advertise your entries, (again STUPID RULE).

However @Nielo I don't think it's about a popularity contest. If someone is working hard to get their votes out there I don't see how that's "popular". Most "popularity" contests the popular people don't have to do jack and get votes through the roof. I mean a lot of people that advertise have pretty funny captions and I find that most of the ones that get entered or are in the top really aren't that funny. So I don't think it's wrong for voting for people that ask. That person is going out of their way to win an avatar or trophy (I would personally only do the Caption Contest for the avie and that's a big reason for people to work hard at it anywho)

Maybe "popularity" is the wrong word, but I can't think of one that adequately describes what I mean. If the people that advertise their entry happen to have the funniest ones - then great! But I don't understand voting for someone just because they ask, instead of voting for the ones you like best. And I guess we just have different definitions of "going out of their way" to win an avatar/trophy. To me that means putting a lot of effort in the entry itself. (Which obviously in no way guarantees winning, even if people would base their votes solely on the content of the entries, because everyone has different opinions on what's funniest/best, but I don't think that advertising your entry means deserving to win more than having a good entry. Or wanting it more. I personally loathe advertising my own stuff, but if I'd ever enter, not advertising wouldn't mean I wouldn't want to win really badly. It probably means that I'll never enter though, if that's what it takes to win.)

(To be clear: I'm not saying it's wrong to advertise/ask for votes, I'm just saying that I personally don't enjoy contests that rely on stuff like that, and that I'm unlikely to vote for someone who asks.)

14 hours ago, Nielo said:

So I'm guessing most people don't actually care about the quality of their entry then, only about winning... whatever prize is attached to this contest? Is the prize that good? I mean, I personally wouldn't enjoy winning if it had nothing to do with people actually liking my caption, but instead only with asking them to vote.
It's probably also why I'd never vote for someone just because they asked, or just because I know them. I think I'm going to go back to forgetting this (popularity) contest exists now. XD

I think it depends on who you know and I agree. I don't find half of the entered captions, well, really funny. But, some seem to have a lot of votes. And, to me, it does seem like a popularity contest, too. If you have a lot of Neofriends and they knew you were in the Caption Contest, I'm sure most would vote for you, as, well, they know you and are your friend. Especially if you are in a guild. It wouldn't matter if your caption was the funniest or not. It would be because they want you to win. You can get an avatar and a trophy and a prize, if I remember correctly. I think most are avatar collectors and wanting that rare avatar as part of their collection. TBH, I've seen replies to Neoboard posts, and even Neoboard posts that seem very vague, and, appear, to me, only made to advertise for votes. Like they posted in the hopes anyone would see their siggy and vote for them. My opinion only, though.

10 hours ago, BrassOtter said:

Concerning the Neopian Times article, a Neopian wrote that article, and not the official Neopian Times Editor. TBH, I believe the article is misleading about the advertising and could get someone in trouble. Take a look at Neopian Times Editorial, Issue: 790, 21st day of Swimming, Y19, "Caption Contest Announcement":

CAPTION CONTEST ANNOUCEMENT:
Alright guys, a lots going on here so here's the deal. The one was kinda thrown off since we published it later in the month and we still wanted everyone to vote. SO, Sunday will be last day for submissions! Cut off will be Noon PST. Then the voting will remain open for the rest of July and winners will be announced.

Now, from now on that is not how things will be going. From August forward, we will release a new image on the 1st of every month. Submissions will be allowed the first week (7 days) in every month. Then the captions will be released and voting will be open for the last three weeks of each month! I know I know this is an avatar round but I'm also going to make an Avatar round every 10 contests so it will be about once a year! (Also I might add a special one in whenever I'm feeling generous)

Also, so all of you Neopians can take a breather...I'm making August an Avatar round as well so those that felt cheated in this round have a fair chance of winning...don't waste it :)

Also, Caption Contest will be monthly instead of weekly! Now, as for the rules - they are remaining the same as previous Caption Contest's, for the most part. This means the only advertising that will be allowed from this moment forward is through your Neoboard Signature. (Yes on any board, not just the charter board) However, NO BOARDS DEDICATED TO ADVERTISING YOUR CAPTION ARE ALLOWED. The monitors have been informed of this rule, so please keep the advertising strictly to your signature!

Okay friends, I thinks that all I have on that. Love you all, remember to breath. All will be okay :)

Please note the 4th paragraph, "This means the only advertising that will be allowed from this moment forward is through your Neoboard Signature." - ONLY advertising allowed is through your Neoboard signature. Nothing in there states user lookups, petpages, and pet lookups. I believe the intent for Caption Contest advertising is through your, and only your, Neoboard signature. Very surprised Scrappy didn't catch that, and let that article be in the Neopian Times Issue #797. And, Scrappy, "THE" NT Editor, wrote that announcement. Advertising in user lookups, petpages, and pet lookups could, possibly, get your caption removed, if someone reported it.

you have to click on the "vote" button

or this link http://www.neopets.com/games/caption_browse.phtml

my caption is By darkobsession:
Donut : Yes we are healthy for you. We're hanging from the tree aren't we ? 

let me know if it's funny or not ... 

the problem is TNT/JS always select the LEAST funny caption i submit 

On 4/28/2018 at 5:07 PM, Scoobert_Doo said:

Please note the 4th paragraph, "This means the only advertising that will be allowed from this moment forward is through your Neoboard Signature." - ONLY advertising allowed is through your Neoboard signature. Nothing in there states user lookups, petpages, and pet lookups. I believe the intent for Caption Contest advertising is through your, and only your, Neoboard signature. Very surprised Scrappy didn't catch that, and let that article be in the Neopian Times Issue #797. And, Scrappy, "THE" NT Editor, wrote that announcement. Advertising in user lookups, petpages, and pet lookups could, possibly, get your caption removed, if someone reported it.

Ah, thank you! For some reason that article didn't show up when I tried searching the NTimes. Like I said, the other article was simply the only place on the site that I could find the new rules listed at all. It's pretty annoying that they don't just list the rules on the caption contest page or even in the caption contest FAQ. They don't even mention it after you've sent in a caption. I checked to see if they would be sending in the first and dumbest caption I could come up with, which probably means it will garner more votes than any of my serious attempts ever have, LOL!

On 4/28/2018 at 11:22 PM, Angeló said:

so if i asked you to vote for me as a favor for a friend u wont do it ? :(

You and I have had this conversation, haven't we, lol.

I'm with @Nielo in that I'll only vote for something if it's earned my vote, not because I'm asked to.

I guess the tidy compromise would be to ask people if they'd check out your entry, just to draw their attention to the fact that you've entered something. That's a no pressure way of doing things, rather than putting someone in an awkward position by flat out asking them to vote for you.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:22 AM, Angeló said:

so if i asked you to vote for me as a favor for a friend u wont do it ? :(

If I thought your entry was good (as in, something I'd vote for even if I didn't know it was yours), then I might. But honestly, I don't like being asked to vote for something/someone. I've had some bad experiences with someone who kept trying to guilt me into voting for her stuff, because we were "friends". Maybe I should put it this way: I don't want to feel obligated to vote for whatever my friends do. I'd like to decide for myself who/what I vote for, and if I might want to give a vote to a friend, simply for being my friend, then I will, but it'll be my decision, not my friend's.

7 hours ago, jellysundae said:

You and I have had this conversation, haven't we, lol.

I'm with @Nielo in that I'll only vote for something if it's earned my vote, not because I'm asked to.

I guess the tidy compromise would be to ask people if they'd check out your entry, just to draw their attention to the fact that you've entered something. That's a no pressure way of doing things, rather than putting someone in an awkward position by flat out asking them to vote for you.

Yes, that sounds like a really good compromise! I'll always check out anything my friends do, but I don't feel like promising them my vote no matter what.