Neopets premium--worth it??

xanthocomically

Hi everyone! I am a returning neopets user, used to play all the time as a kid and am getting back into it as a grad school hobby. I've been working my way back through the avatars: currently I am in the process of collecting items for ITTPD. I am remembering now exactly how obnoxious and tedious the SW is... I feel like I could've spent the same amount of time just restocking and buying more expensive Geraptiku Talismans, rather than repeatedly refreshing... again... and again...

Anyway, I have been considering ""investing"" in premium, pretty much exclusively to access SSW. But before I hand over my real money to this website, I wanted to hear other people's thoughts. Does anyone here pay for premium? If so, do you like it/is it worth it? For people that don't have it/used to but discontinued, what do you think premium is missing that makes it not worth the (real-world) price?

Thanks, and nice to meet y'all~~!

Kelly

Hi there and welcome, so i usually get premium when i have the extra funds that wont be missed. If you can afford it i would go for it. If you are on all the time and use the SW a lot go for it. I seriously HATE the SW its rediculous because notbing is categorized by low to high price. It goes by usernames in alphabetical order. Sometimes it refuses to show you lowest prices and a lot of time is wasted refreshing for prices. I think i get ripped off a lot of the time ?.  SSW is just so much more helpful. Also theres space farie scrach cards as well as an additional slot for pets. I purchased it for the SWW everything else was just a bonus.

Welcome to the forums! You may be interested in reading these two threads about the same topic: 

tbh I wouldn't play Neopets without premium, mainly because of the ads and ssw. I'm currently on an annual subscription. Once a year there's a sale where you can get it a little bit cheaper than normal, so I wait for that to roll around and then renew. 

Thank you both for your thoughts, I appreciate it! (and thanks kayahtik for those older threads.) I decided to go ahead and purchase a single month just to see if it was worth it... in the last like TWO HOURS I have decided it was an excellent decision! I've been able to check off a couple avatars, mostly because I knew I'd be able to resell items as soon as I was done with them. I also cleared out my shop AND purchased several new things for my gallery. I think it will still take a while to track down enough Pumpkin Shields and GGTs for ITTPD, but at least I'll be able to find good prices (and actually make nps selling stuff quickly!)..... :D:D

To add to what @kayahtik the Premium sale is usually in July when the NC Mall celebrates its birthday. Personally, I'm too cheap for premium. :laugh:

7 hours ago, xanthocomically said:

Thank you both for your thoughts, I appreciate it! (and thanks kayahtik for those older threads.) I decided to go ahead and purchase a single month just to see if it was worth it... in the last like TWO HOURS I have decided it was an excellent decision! I've been able to check off a couple avatars, mostly because I knew I'd be able to resell items as soon as I was done with them. I also cleared out my shop AND purchased several new things for my gallery. I think it will still take a while to track down enough Pumpkin Shields and GGTs for ITTPD, but at least I'll be able to find good prices (and actually make nps selling stuff quickly!)..... :D:D

I also have Premium Membership. I have had this for about 5 years running (maybe longer). I don't think I would play Neopets without it. The SSW alone makes it worth it but there are other perks. I use PayPal and it just auto renews every year at the same time. I say if you can pay for the yearly membership that would be the way to go since you do save money.

9 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

the Premium sale is usually in July

Oops, that's soon! I better cobble together another $50 :x

I have been getting Premium for about a year now and besides the SSW and the Scratch card and the monthly premium I LOVE fighting the Jetsam Ace in the Battledome. His first lvl isn't very strong either so you could easily beat him with a lower level pet. He drops Nerkmids, which in my opinion, is worth it by itself. Sometimes a day of battles doesn't yield any, but most of the time I get 1 or more (got 7 in one day one time!) and the lowest Nerkmid price right now isn't under 60k, that's some pretty good Neopoint making without having to sink in any Neopoints in return, just battle, free nerkmid, put in shop, and ka-ching ?

• 4 weeks later...

No, it is not worth it and I am speaking from honest experience as a premium user and experienced gamer.

It is payment for basic things that any game should have such as a search engine that provides proper results. With the amount of money that you pay for their "best value" option, which is the yearly subscription, you can easily find another game for lesser for a one-time payment.

Premium boasts of Monthly Bonus Neopoints and Double Neopoints, but these are only in small miserable amounts which can hardly buy you anything substantial in game despite the screwed-up economy (which really is ridiculous).

Weekly Space Faerie Scratchcards? You are better off buying several REAL scratchcards with your money. The payoffs are better and you will probably spend lesser.

The community is also dying, with mostly the same small group of people always around that even the economy within the game is failing as well. Moreover, please do a quick search on how the game's staff (TNT) freezes accounts unreasonably. Why would you spend more money on a game that is dying out? It is a surprise that it is still running at this point.

I am a gamer who plays all sorts of games for leisure and I spend about 1k-2k USD monthly on games for fun. I can honestly tell you spending anything on Neopets is a waste of your money. For a game of this standard, you can easily find a free to play one with better community and service, and these "premium services" included.

@monkeybytes I think the question was asked from the point of view of someone who still likes playing Neopets. ?

I personally never felt the urge to buy premium, so I don't really have an opinion on whether or not the money is worth it, but suggesting someone just play other games instead seems... overkill? If you're done with Neopets, well, good for you, but this is a Neopets fansite, so don't be surprised to find people on here who still enjoy the game, and intend to keep playing it, even though we know there are other games out there. (Which we might play as well.)

Oh, and as someone who used to play a game (similar in set-up to Neopets, but much smaller in scale) that actually died, I can assure you, Neopets might not be as big as it used to be, but it's nowhere near dead.

(And advising someone to buy actual scratchcards just seems bad life advice in general. ? )

@Nielo

You can play and enjoy Neopets without the need for premium subscription. I am saying that it is not worth it, particularly at the price it is at. What premium offers are only really basic stuff, take for example the SSW which really should be given to everyone for free as a search engine. Why inconvenience your players over something so basic? Are they not a priority such that a search engine of standard should be given to them for free?

I don't know what kind of game you play/have played but premiums are usually things that go extra and beyond what should already be part of the game.

Also, i am not advising anyone to buy actual scratchcards. I am saying you are better off doing that than buying virtual scratchcards at such a price. I 'm not sure if you are aware but gambling come in all forms, whether online or in real life. Neopets has mini games such as slots and lottery, would you consider that bad for a game that is targeted at kids and youths?

Also, I am not discouraging people from playing Neopets. I am saying if you are going to spend money, there are other better options that give you more content and privileges for your money.

Also to anyone else who is considering paying for Premium, I urge you to check out the following pages before making your decision:

This is the official FB page for Neopets. Do have a look at the ridiculous number of comments and complaints that others have made following poor player support, or no support from TNT at all.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Neopets/posts/?ref=page_internal

Numerous complaints about poor service, unfair freezing and even credit card fraud

https://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/neopets-a42867.html

https://www.bbb.org/losangelessiliconvalley/business-reviews/video-game-dealers/jumpstart-games-in-torrance-ca-100077650/reviews-and-complaints

https://www.facebook.com/Neopets/posts/10153317288601005

https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/neopets-glendale-california-c76118.html

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/neopets.com

Hopefully more people will become more informed about how atrocious Neopets is instead of only listening to pretty one-sided comments. ?

Slots and other gambling games are not available to accounts that belong to users who are not of age. Neopets follows the law.

If you are a regular Neopets player, you will already know their previous issues with customer service. It's been happening for a 15 years. You're not really presenting any new information to your argument against Premium.

Anyway, the user this topic pertains to has decided to buy a month to try, and liked Premium. There isn't anything further to discuss in this case.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.
The original topic is now answered and will be closed.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.
Please contact hrtbrk if you have any questions regarding this action.

• hrtbrk locked this topic