What avatars were you obsessed with as a kid?

gypsyknees

I was ticking off the avatars that I have which made me really nostalgic and I remembered the avatars I absolutely LOVED using when I was younger.
Does anyone else have avatars that take them back in time?

kaufortuneteller.gif.68d47ad495c88b77e83948e897d938c8.gifkikosnacktime.gif.f1e5ecd8278f6903390afc1940d1e443.gifstarrygelert.gif.246ca4323091fe0e3e1199f98ec767c3.gifitsalive.gif.8faca8f924f9be4e700df57581a96117.gifnabile.gif.39efe9fdb44766ce47540c96478e44fa.gifmusickiko.gif.7c86f06cf6df9effb611023ef0710b30.gif

These are some of mine! 

I've never been obsessed with avatars and honestly don't remember much of what I had first time around, but I did get a bit nostalgic for bilge dice when I tried to replace my trophy and avatar and realised it was broken, I used to like that game.

I never used the neoboards as a kid but now I am busy hunting for avatars. While I personally like the Darkest Faerie avatar, I am trying to collect them all, not because I will use them, but because I can't leave things unfinished in video games *mutter* stupid retired avatars stopping me from getting 100% *mutter*.

As a kid? Lol.  That makes me laugh as the internet wasn't around when I was a kid, let alone Neopets.  I was about 36 when I opened my NP account, lol.  Can I still participate in this question? ?

Anyway, I always wanted the Kad avatar, so I worked real hard for that.  I was so excited when I got the trophy for 1 fed.  Now I have 100.  I also like my battledome veteran avatar, my tooth faerie, and I was certain I would never get the brightvale avatar, but I finally did.

Now I am certain I will never get techo cheesy, deserted tomb, snowager, lever of doom, or symol.

12 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

As a kid? Lol.  That makes me laugh as the internet wasn't around when I was a kid, let alone Neopets.  I was about 36 when I opened my NP account, lol.  Can I still participate in this question? 

I figured that would be the case for a lot of people on here haha, I'm not discriminating haha. That's why I chose "younger" since everyone was younger a few years back ? hahaha 

Edit - just realised that I put "As a kid" in the title ? sorry

4 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

As a kid? Lol.  That makes me laugh as the internet wasn't around when I was a kid, let alone Neopets.  I was about 36 when I opened my NP account, lol.  Can I still participate in this question? ?<span>

Anyway, I always wanted the Kad avatar, so I worked real hard for that.  I was so excited when I got the trophy for 1 fed.  Now I have 100.  I also like my battledome veteran avatar, my tooth faerie, and I was certain I would never the brightvale avatar, but I finally did.

Now I am certain I will never get techo cheesy, deserted tomb, snowager, lever of doom, or symol.

I'm with rntracy1

There was no computers or internet in my case. Of course she was a lot younger than I was when she started playing. I didn't join NeoPets until I was about 48. I'm 60 now. I started playing because we were raising 2 of our grand daughters and they begged me to let them join NeoPets about 12 years ago. Never having heard of it I wouldn't allow it unless I joined and they made me a friend. I wanted to be sure to keep an eye out on them when they played. I even got them each a laptop so they could play at the same time. I use a desktop. Now they are 19 and 21 and no longer play but I just couldn't give up my account! LOL I'm addicted. Oh and to answer your question about the avatars. I love them all and I do my best to try and collect them all (impossible) and I try to collect everything else too.

I did have a computer when i was a kid, used WordStar Plus to learn some basic DOS.  Later we have a local bullentin board, but Internet didn't come until later...
Anyway, back the first time I played NeoPets, I don't recall avatars.   Not sure if they weren't around yet, or if were one of those things I just didn't notice.

15 hours ago, gypsyknees said:

I figured that would be the case for a lot of people on here haha, I'm not discriminating haha. That's why I chose "younger" since everyone was younger a few years back ? hahaha 

Edit - just realised that I put "As a kid" in the title ? sorry

That is so ok, it gave me a laugh and it's always good to laugh.  I just wanted to add more humor to the thread.  At least you took it in stride and didn't get all defensive over it.  I would have.  LOL.  JK.  But seriously though, Neopets is theoretically a kids game/site, so you would think that most people were kids when they started playing.  My story is similar to Granny's so I am going to jump down to hers now.

12 hours ago, Granny63020 said:

I'm with rntracy1

There was no computers or internet in my case. Of course she was a lot younger than I was when she started playing. I didn't join NeoPets until I was about 48. I'm 60 now. I started playing because we were raising 2 of our grand daughters and they begged me to let them join NeoPets about 12 years ago. Never having heard of it I wouldn't allow it unless I joined and they made me a friend. I wanted to be sure to keep an eye out on them when they played. I even got them each a laptop so they could play at the same time. I use a desktop. Now they are 19 and 21 and no longer play but I just couldn't give up my account! LOL I'm addicted. Oh and to answer your question about the avatars. I love them all and I do my best to try and collect them all (impossible) and I try to collect everything else too.

LOL.  I'm not even 48 YET!  LOL.  Close though.  LOL.  Anyway, I also joined because my son did. I don't know if you did it the same way, but I wouldn't let him fudge his birthdate. I signed the permission slip and scanned it back to them.  I think it helps with the fact that there were/and very seldom still are, two of us playing from the same IP address.  Neopets doesn't put much stock into that user look up thing where people say, "my sister and I both have an account".  But people do that though.  So it isn't right to freeze people for it.  Anyway, I signed up my son for an account and then myself.  Because he was only 9, he couldn't use the forums, but I was fine with that and he didn't know about them anyway.  I was so naïve when I joined though.  I didn't know about plots or avatars.  I missed out on so many retired avatars and trophies and I can never get because I was clueless.  I was around, but clueless.  Oh well.

Strictly speaking,  I think a lot of the original users would have already been young adults back then, as it was supposedly aimed at uni students before it turned into a younger kids aimed thing... I don't even know how old they must be now. I distantly remember the Adam and Donna days but I had a loooooonng hiatus.  Unfortunately, when I came back, my main account has vanished and my side account won't let me in. They weren't particularly good accounts but it would have been nice to use them again instead of starting from scratch. The food club bets would be very nice indeed by now. sigh.

I'd pretty much forgotten how it all worked when I came back, but I know it's much much easier to make nps now.  I was clueless first time round too I must admit, didn't really know what I was doing with plots and events. I'm only marginally less clueless now :D

1 hour ago, rntracy1 said:

That is so ok, it gave me a laugh and it's always good to laugh.  I just wanted to add more humor to the thread.  At least you took it in stride and didn't get all defensive over it.  I would have.  LOL.  JK.  But seriously though, Neopets is theoretically a kids game/site, so you would think that most people were kids when they started playing.  My story is similar to Granny's so I am going to jump down to hers now.

LOL.  I'm not even 48 YET!  LOL.  Close though.  LOL.  Anyway, I also joined because my son did. I don't know if you did it the same way, but I wouldn't let him fudge his birthdate. I signed the permission slip and scanned it back to them.  I think it helps with the fact that there were/and very seldom still are, two of us playing from the same IP address.  Neopets doesn't put much stock into that user look up thing where people say, "my sister and I both have an account".  But people do that though.  So it isn't right to freeze people for it.  Anyway, I signed up my son for an account and then myself.  Because he was only 9, he couldn't use the forums, but I was fine with that and he didn't know about them anyway.  I was so naïve when I joined though.  I didn't know about plots or avatars.  I missed out on so many retired avatars and trophies and I can never get because I was clueless.  I was around, but clueless.  Oh well.

I don't care that I'm old. I know there are closet old folks on this site! I wish I had been more into playing back then because, like you, I missed out on a whole lot. My original account was used for things like the girls begging me to buy paint brushes so they could paint their pets. I was Grandma, how could I not buy they the site things they wanted. So, we all played the games and usually we were all 3 on our computers at the same time in the same room laughing and having fun playing the games. I did send them the permission forms by snail mail for the girls. I did not let them lie about their birthdays either.  My original account had been frozen but I can't remember why. I started the one I'm using now to replace that old account. I still wasn't that smart because they gave that old account back to me and I ended up transferring whatever items and neopoints I could over to this account and left behind all the trophies,avatars and other things I earned. I then shut down the account. I'm sorry I closed it now. I didn't even consider using it as a side account whereas now I do have 4 side accounts and wish I had kept that account.

So, does your son still play?  If so does he have his original account?

i was a college student when avatars were released 

i was absolutely in love with the Maraquan War Plot and the Darigan War Plot .. so .. like @Kute i had them on my old account , but not on this one :(

meridellknight.gifmaraquanwarrior.gif

also this illusensglade.gif

and this ahhhhmeepit.gif

The first one I was really obsessed with getting was SDB packrat. I think it's just because it so perfectly encapsulates me as a person, collecting and hoarding everything and feeling like I've just got one of everything tucked away somewhere. I probably didn't realise it at the time but now it seems obvious, that avatar was made for me. I'd like to think my collections have become more refined over time but they probably haven't! Just a lot more expensive now I'm old enough to afford Lego, which started last year. I'm 22 now and I don't show any signs of stopping Neopets or collecting nice toys. I've been on Neo for 12 years ago now so I was 10 when I started, but didn't really look at avatars or site events or anything, I just like to play Ice Cream Machine a lot and collect rainbow items. My sister and I both played from the same family desktop that was our first (and only, for about 5 years) computer at home. I didn't even know back then that accounts could be frozen for using the same computer, so I'm glad that didn't happen because I probably would never have thought to make another and continue playng. It didn't occur to me to make a second account but I probably broke into my sisters account a few times to steal cool items...

My second fave was Sell SELL, after I got into the stock market. And then joining this site was a great turning point for getting some of the avatars I probably would never have gotten without the ALS. SO thanks everyone for that help!!