Doctors Appointments

Munchies

I finally found the energy to schedule all of my doctor's appointments today; PCP, psych, and gastro.. I see my PCP this week and the psych in a couple of weeks. The kicker is that I have to wait until the end of July to see the gastro doctor. I don't want to wait that long to see him, especially since I can't eat anything without getting sick.. but hopefully my PCP will help me figure something out until I my gastro appointment.. *sigh* curse medical problems.

UPDATE: I'm able to eat again without getting sick! I wonder if it was mostly due to anxiety. I saw the psychiatrist yesterday and was put on Lexapro and Abilify. Now just gotta push through the terrible side effects for the next two weeks until I go back.

3 hours ago, Munchies said:

I finally found the energy to schedule all of my doctor's appointments today; PCP, psych, and gastro.. I see my PCP this week and the psych in a couple of weeks. The kicker is that I have to wait until the end of July to see the gastro doctor. I don't want to wait that long to see him, especially since I can't eat anything without getting sick.. but hopefully my PCP will help me figure something out until I my gastro appointment.. *sigh* curse medical problems.

Have you told the office staff that you are throwing up and can't eat? They should be able to get you in a lot sooner if they know your sick. If not how long have you been going to this gastro Dr? Maybe have your PCP suggest another gastro Dr.

Yeah, I second Granny's sentiment.  As a nurse, I would certainly recommend that you do one of the following.  I would call the GI doctor's office back and ask them if they can get you in to one of their emergency appts.  They do have spots open for emergencies.  If you are simply getting an upset stomach and/or some bouts of diarrhea, well, that's not so much of an emergency and can probably wait.  However, if you are truly vomiting every time you put something into your stomach, especially if you aren't able to keep down water, that is a true emergency and you may want to bypass the GI and head to the ER.  If they really don't have any sooner appts, ask to speak with the nurse.  She should be able to call you back and either give you some advice or determine if you really do need to be seen sooner.  Finally, when you see your PCP, discuss your symptoms with him/her.  They may be able to help you.  At least they can get the ball rolling with lab work, tests, etc. or even a referral to another GI. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.