birders unite!

charelan

3 hours ago, aurnia said:

omg this story is adorable how sweet! its really nice how much he liked you guys and that you took him everywhere haha

it's nice to see ppl who're into birds!! theyre my favourite animal and one of my biggest hobbies... i live in seoul, so when i decide to go on walks i always walk on cheonggyecheon (a man-made river) with my gf. they always have herons and stuff on the river and theyre really cute!! i always love to see them, theyre not really afraid of people either ? 

but aside from wild birds im very into parrots/keeping birds! one of my korean friends owns a business called lip parrot which breeds/sells birds but it's also a cafe where you can have a lemonade and chill out with some parrots hehe. i usually go every week or so, checking out the place. i have a bias, of course, in the cafe. its a major mitchells that i knew since he was a baby! but these days i think he hit birb puberty because he gets way, way too overstimulated TT we usually play together a lot but last time i went he bit me so hard it drew blood on my fingers and he wouldnt let go. ive had years of birb experience but this shocked me so badly, it never happened before! i was extremely shocked i kind of teared up because i didnt know how else to react... but i still love mandu lol haha i think these things just happen!! does anyone else have parrots?? (i wish i could keep one! my apartment doesnt allow pets... : ( )

I'd not heard of a Major Mitchell's cockatoo, what an AMAZING-looking bird!  ?  

MG_4761m-750x400.jpg

There's a cockatoo in the pet shop here in town, her name's Katie. She's QUITE the character, if she knows and likes you you can scratch the top of her head, but if she doesn't - watch out for your fingers, lol. She does have a big notice on her cage giving fair warning though.

There's a lady who's especially good friends with her as she kisses Katie on the top of her head and leaves her with pink feathers from her lipstick. xD

I did 6 weeks there as a work placement at one point and would share my lunch with Katie, she likes tea you know! She'll drink it from your mug if you tilted it nicely for her. :D

Your friend's cafe sound lovely! I know there are kitty cafes, I didn't know they happened with birds too. :D

21 hours ago, jellysundae said:

DO ET!

Because . . .

Massive. Aquatic. Update!!!

uc8Kme2.png

Is that a shipwreck there? It so happens that it is!

And is that a dolphin?! Why yes indeedy! Caught mid-leap!

And there are schools of fish in the sea, and sea grass and kelp, and coral reefs, and sea pickles that glow in the dark, and underwater ruins, and . . . and . . . TURTLES!

YES THERE ARE!

Don't ask what that chicken's doing, it got in my boat and it won't get out. ? It's the token bird content of this post!

ohmy gosh jelly! This makes me want to play this game so bad. Not sure if my internet can handle it though. 

@aurnia  I am so jealous you live in Seoul.  I love the language because its so easy to read and write. Such yummy food. Goguma and  wang mandu and bibimbap and best of all odeng!!!!!!!??

9 minutes ago, Kute said:

ohmy gosh jelly! This makes me want to play this game so bad. Not sure if my internet can handle it though. 

Is your internet hamster-driven? If not, you'll be fine. ? I have a very bog-standard package, nothing high-speed going on here!

Actually, let's test it. I'll use the first option Google shows me.

image.png.f55faa09e9cf78aa482d122583c8e46e.png

OFC that means zip to me these days, lol. But I've owned the game for YEARS. It was still in Alpha when I got it (for just 7 Euros ;D), my broadband will have been utter PANTS at that point, less than 1mb, and it was fine.

Once you've got the game downloaded you can play offline anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. :D

Korean is easy to learn? I'd NEVER  have imagined that! It's got to be the cutest-looking language though!

I dunno where all the birds are today, it's been another beautiful day here today, maybe birds have somewhere they go for a day out too?

30 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Is your internet hamster-driven? If not, you'll be fine. ? I have a very bog-standard package, nothing high-speed going on here!

Actually, let's test it. I'll use the first option Google shows me.

image.png.f55faa09e9cf78aa482d122583c8e46e.png

OFC that means zip to me these days, lol. But I've owned the game for YEARS. It was still in Alpha when I got it (for just 7 Euros ;D), my broadband will have been utter PANTS at that point, less than 1mb, and it was fine.

Once you've got the game downloaded you can play offline anyway, so it's kind of a moot point. :D

Korean is easy to learn? I'd NEVER  have imagined that! It's got to be the cutest-looking language though!

I dunno where all the birds are today, it's been another beautiful day here today, maybe birds have somewhere they go for a day out too?

Oh offline playing is the solution to my problem. Itsbecause we have satalite internet as I live in a rural area that does not yet have fiber optics so we use a monthly data plan much like a cellphone plan. Its annoying because you cant just download whatever you want or play online games beause then it gets used up. Especially MMO's .  i really miss world of warcraft ?

Also yes, korean is easy to learn because they have a small alphabet like english and multiple vowels. So if you just learn how to read each letter of the alphabet the next step is just figuring out and remembering what they mean. 
An easy one is Banana. 

바나나

B A N A N A   it has the same amount of letters.  you can tell what sound each one makes, although its not an exact translation from our alphabet you can still see that the vowel is the line with the small line on the right HAHA. i cant explain it better than that. Its not exactly the letter A but it sounds like it cus there are variations of it. 바 . like this one makes the BA sound.  and the L looking shape is like the N sound.

39 minutes ago, Kute said:

An easy one is Banana. 

바나나

B A N A N A   it has the same amount of letters.  you can tell what sound each one makes, although its not an exact translation from our alphabet you can still see that the vowel is the line with the small line on the right HAHA. i cant explain it better than that. Its not exactly the letter A but it sounds like it cus there are variations of it. 바 . like this one makes the BA sound.  and the L looking shape is like the N sound.

The thing with Korean, is the faces it makes! That's totally two people looking sideways at a glass of water. :ph34r:

Ah, yes I can see why online gaming is a problem for you then! I used to play offline quite often, I haven't since my break from it as the start up process is different. I'll see if I can find out if it's still as easy.

EDIT

Yup, still no issue playing offline, there's just no "play offline" button to click now. You just play . . . offline, lol.

18 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Your friend's cafe sound lovely! I know there are kitty cafes, I didn't know they happened with birds too. :D

17 hours ago, Kute said:

@aurnia  I am so jealous you live in Seoul.  I love the language because its so easy to read and write. Such yummy food. Goguma and  wang mandu and bibimbap and best of all odeng!!!!!!!??

yes!!! his cafe is really different from standard cafes imo, he really cares about the birds :3 ive been to cafes in japan and stuff but the way they do it in japan is they charge you per five/ten minutes and i kind of dislike that ahhaa >_<; and yeah, major mitchells are amazing!!! they feel so much softer than a pillow i cant help but bury my face in their neck LOL they smell good too hehe

if youre more interested in watching birds rather than interactions, cafes in japan may be a better option tho since you can just watch and have a cake (i can show pictures if you guys want?)

omg come here then~! the food is really great and i really love it here >_< and yeah korean is very easy!!! if you guys are interested in learning i reccomend TTMIK? hes a very good teacher and everything on his website is free because he thinks korean should be accessible for everyone.

1 hour ago, aurnia said:

yes!!! his cafe is really different from standard cafes imo, he really cares about the birds :3 ive been to cafes in japan and stuff but the way they do it in japan is they charge you per five/ten minutes and i kind of dislike that ahhaa >_<; and yeah, major mitchells are amazing!!! they feel so much softer than a pillow i cant help but bury my face in their neck LOL they smell good too hehe

if youre more interested in watching birds rather than interactions, cafes in japan may be a better option tho since you can just watch and have a cake (i can show pictures if you guys want?)

Oh wow, charging for such a short amount of time takes ALL the cuteness out of it, seriously. That's like an entry fee then? Because people were just want to pet kitties rather than buy food? I mean, maybe at first they didn't charge, but people were coming in and not buying much and just spending time with the cats, so they had to start charging "per pet" to make (more) money?

Ok, so now "snuggling a major mitchells cockatoo" goes on bucket list. #lifegoals :laugh:

Sure! Let's see some pictures! :D

1 minute ago, jellysundae said:

Oh wow, charging for such a short amount of time takes ALL the cuteness out of it, seriously. That's like an entry fee then? Because people were just want to pet kitties rather than buy food? I mean, maybe at first they didn't charge, but people were coming in and not buying much and just spending time with the cats, so they had to start charging "per pet" to make (more) money?

Ok, so now "snuggling a major mitchells cockatoo" goes on bucket list. #lifegoals :laugh:

Sure! Let's see some pictures! :D

yeah the way it is in japan is like you can sit in the cafe and then if you want to hold the animal you have to pay for it.... i think its just how it is there! a lot of people there are afraid of animals so they just want to look at it rather than interact. ive seen a lot of this actually haha they always have cockatiels and budgies for these kind of people if they want to pay to hold birds. 

at my friends place in seoul you just pay for a drink and go wild HAHAHA i sit there for about 6 hours omg lol >< yes you have to snuggle one!!!! find the nearest one to snuggle and do it !! 

(seems like i can only attach one image... TT_TT this is the major mitchells being held by my gf i think when he was still a little younger lol)

20170915_160103.png

33 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

That bird is pretty and they know it! :laugh:

Do you know why so many Japanese people are afraid of animals?

yess HAHA so cute!!

hmm its hard to explain but in a lot of asian cultures there isnt traditionally a large emphasis on bonding with individual animals i.e pets.  there are a lot of cafes and such dedicated to different kinds of animals but the audience has more of a zoo mentality towards those rather than encouraging keeping those types of animals as pets.  in asia because it is so densely populated there is little contact with wild animals as well except for in zoos, etc so coming in contact one tends to scare people even if they are factually interested in that animal.  they definitely think animals are cute but when it comes to handling it themselves a lot of asian people tend to react with fear

58 minutes ago, aurnia said:

hmm its hard to explain but in a lot of asian cultures there isnt traditionally a large emphasis on bonding with individual animals i.e pets.  there are a lot of cafes and such dedicated to different kinds of animals but the audience has more of a zoo mentality towards those rather than encouraging keeping those types of animals as pets.  in asia because it is so densely populated there is little contact with wild animals as well except for in zoos, etc so coming in contact one tends to scare people even if they are factually interested in that animal.  they definitely think animals are cute but when it comes to handling it themselves a lot of asian people tend to react with fear

Ah! I did wonder if it might be a lack of pets thing. That must be quite difficult for people to cope with when they go to foreign countries and there's big dogs everywhere and so on!

Also, your user look up made me laugh. Name: Yes, I have one of those. :laugh:

wow I didnt know that domestic animals were seen more like zoo animals?? Thats understandable! There probably isnt space/ time to care for animals because their culture is always working hahaha.