Altador Cup: Sign Ups Opened!

hrtbrk

This is the first time i'm actually going to participate in the altador cup (or at least im going to try). Any tips or stuff i should keep in mind?

13 minutes ago, UMaxii said:

This is the first time i'm actually going to participate in the altador cup (or at least im going to try). Any tips or stuff i should keep in mind?

I think the main thing is to make sure you know you're playing for your own prize points, by which I mean that even though playing a lot will definitely be good for your team; whether or not your team wins doesn't affect your prizes (or - most likely - even your trophy's colour). Only the amount of games you actually played will affect the amount of prize points you'll have at the end.

Also, perhaps to prevent some disappointment later on, to get enough points for the top prizes, you'll have to make All-Star about 3 times over (there are special counters people made to check your status after you reach All-Star, as Neopets doesn't offically recognise ranks like "double All-Star" or "triple All-Star"). I honestly don't know how people do this though, as it'd require you to play each of the 4 games the maximum amount of times you can per day (these caps on the games will probably be posted somewhere once the tournament officially starts, so be sure to check TDN for this kind of information).

There's probably a lot more, but if you stick around the forums during the cup, I'm sure all the questions you'll inevitably have will be answered. ?

Don't submit low scores for Yooyuball's the only helpful thing I can think of. Like if you draw with the opposing team, or only score a few more than them - maybe 5-2, or 7-4 - don't submit because that impacts on the team's ranking, or something . . . Actually my M.O. on previous years was to just refresh the page and start again if the opposite team scored more than 2. This also happens as soon as a Darigan Yooyu puts in an appearance if it's not near the end of the game, because I've got ZERO chance of scoring with those devils. ?

I played a couple of games of YYB after signing up and . . . well . . . I enjoyed them. ? I scored decently, too: 8-2 and 10-0. Once I lose control of the ball I've still had it, but it seems I'm no worse than last year, so I feel pretty positive about this event now. :D

4 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Don't submit low scores for Yooyuball's the only helpful thing I can think of. Like if you draw with the opposing team, or only score a few more than them - maybe 5-2, or 7-4 - don't submit because that impacts on the team's ranking, or something . . . Actually my M.O. on previous years was to just refresh the page and start again if the opposite team scored more than 2. This also happens as soon as a Darigan Yooyu puts in an appearance if it's not near the end of the game, because I've got ZERO chance of scoring with those devils. ?

I played a couple of games of YYB after signing up and . . . well . . . I enjoyed them. ? I scored decently, too: 8-2 and 10-0. Once I lose control of the ball I've still had it, but it seems I'm no worse than last year, so I feel pretty positive about this event now. :D

This is my first time participating and I did a few test matches, I must say this looks really enjoyable. So when the actual competition begins you can just refresh your browser if youre not satisfied with the score?

3 minutes ago, UMaxii said:

This is my first time participating and I did a few test matches, I must say this looks really enjoyable. So when the actual competition begins you can just refresh your browser if youre not satisfied with the score?

Yup, you don't have to complete a game if you're not happy with how it's going.

Let's hope you still find it enjoyable by the end! lol.

Oh! Don't be a derp like I was my first year and think you sent 3 scores a day like any other game :blush02:   I only did that for a couple of days before I figured it out but I was a wee bit embarrassed :dance:

7 minutes ago, phill said:

Oh! Don't be a derp like I was my first year and think you sent 3 scores a day like any other game :blush02:   I only did that for a couple of days before I figured it out but I was a wee bit embarrassed :dance:

I might only send 3 a day, lol. If I set the bar good and low I should avoid being disappointed with myself, right?

And are we prepared for the staff tournament . . .

Take charge of this year's Staff Tournament with the chance to build your ideal "dream team" of Neopets staffers! Choose from eighteen players, including longtime fan favourites like Senor Malo and DJ Skellington and promising newcomers like Jade or Ghost Pepper. Starting soon, you get to decide who makes the cut and who is left behind.

Eek! At least we won't be getting a 14 yr. old-style running commentary from her, that's got to count for something. >_<

I personally wish hardtotame would be an option!

11 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I personally wish hardtotame would be an option!

Maybe they are! We don't actually know hardtotame's name, so they could appear in the staff tournament under their name without us knowing.

19 minutes ago, sajixx said:

Maybe they are! We don't actually know hardtotame's name, so they could appear in the staff tournament under their name without us knowing.

They could, though I'd have thought they'd use the same user name. But you're right that they might be part of the team anyway. It would be a VERY canny move on TNT's part to include her because of how much everyone on the boards likes her. But I wonder if these 18 people are only from the US part of TNT . . . one of the things we'll never know, I suppose!

I've. . . never actually played this before.  How do you figure out what team to sign up for? Just whichever land you like best?

How do the points work?  Like, someone mentioned you can send more than three scores a day, and the guide says there's more than one game to play?  

whoever you like the look of.

Doesn't matter who or why you choose who you do, don't be swayed into choosing a side. It can be that you like the land, the players, the composition of a team, the colour scheme...anything at all.  Some of the YYB players have an actual fanbase, like Tandrak Shaye shown below. Some people pick a side and stay loyal from that point on, some people are 'floating voters', some people pick randomly.

tandrak shaye.jpg

Points are awarded for your participation, not the teams success.  The more you play, the more points you will have to spend in the prize shop at the close of the tournament.  There is a game play cap, but we won't know for sure what it is till TNT says so. It's a lot.  There are four games. YYball is the main game, it earns you the most points. I can't play that for toffee. There are three side games. Slushie Slinger, make some noise, and shootout showdown.  These are very repetitive but easy.

-raises hand- I'm part of the Tandrak Shaye fanbase! Shaye fever!!! :dance:

@GillyTook There are four different games you can play -- Yooyuball, Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise, and Shootout Showdown. Each day, you can submit up to 46 YYB games, 86 SlSl, and 401 MSN and SoSd to contribute to your team's standings and your own personal prize points. (At least, these were the numbers last year. They could change, we'll see.) However, you only get neopoints for the first three of each of those games, as usual. 

7 hours ago, sajixx said:

Hardtotame would definitely be a fan favourite! But I'm not sure if she wants us to know who she is. In the boards I've seen, tons of people ask her for a name or something easier to address her by, and she never responds to those posts. 

I wonder, as she's part of an out-sourced team, if she's not allowed to? It could be though, because of her obvious professionalism, that she wants to maintain a bit of distance herself.

Maybe people should get pro-active and create boards asking for her to be in the staff tourney. ;D

3 hours ago, GillyTook said:

I've. . . never actually played this before.  How do you figure out what team to sign up for? Just whichever land you like best?

How do the points work?  Like, someone mentioned you can send more than three scores a day, and the guide says there's more than one game to play?  

This petpage is also very useful once the cup starts, as you'll be able to see how many games you'll need to play to reach the next rank. (At least I'm assuming the page will be updated again once the cup starts, right now it's just showing last year's stats.)

At the bottom of that page you'll also find the mininum scores for each of the side games for them to count towards your rank. (Yooyuball will count if you win or draw, but drawing is worth less points than winning in moving up rank, so aim to win (stating the obvious here, probably ?)).

How do you sign up for the staff tournament? I tried last year and I couldn't figure it out...

This is my third year attempting the AC. I have never scored a single goal. Not one. I usually did the roar and slushie games because I am terrible at yyb. Guess what? I scored two goals in one practice game today! That is infinitely more goals than I scored two years combined! I am SO looking forward to this year! ? I might be able to score at least one point a day! I am PUMPED!!!!

6 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

How do you sign up for the staff tournament? I tried last year and I couldn't figure it out...

I . . . can't remember, but you can't yet, anyway. It doesn't go live until the event's been running for a while if I remember correctly.

Hopefully someone with a functioning memory can fill us in. :heart:

6 minutes ago, Yuiina said:

Anyone knows until when we have to sign up? 
I'm having some doubts on which team I'll choose and I want to know until when I have to decide. 

Thank you :D 

sign-ups used to be around 13 days ... one week before cup started ... and you could still join a team until about one week after the cup started ..

this year is different so im not sure 

8 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

This is how it's worked the last few years (it could be different this year, we'll see): You go to the 'staff tournament' tab on the colosseum page and select the staff members you want for your team. You have to confirm your team every Friday, even if you don't make any changes to your lineup. If you don't confirm by Friday, you will miss a round. Like Phill said though, it hasn't started yet and we don't know exactly when it will since the rules page isn't up /:

:o  THAT MANY GAME SENDS?  Hopefully they take a few seconds a piece, because that'd be round the clock gaming!  

Obviously prizes get better as you move up, but is there a specific maximum rank that you have to attain to be eligible for the highest level prizes?  Sort of how the faerie plot just had you make the minimum number of potions, but you could still get the highest level prize?