Just seen an epic flypast 8D

jellysundae

No matter how you feel about the military there's something awesome about a flypast, particularly when it's for 100 planes!

A quick look online tells me it was a practice run for the centenary flypast in London on the 10th, all these guys just flew over my roof ?

DhBvGQdUcAI11N9.jpg

I didn't see all of them, I heard a couple of passes so when the next lot of noise - and it was a LOT of noise - neared, I got to a window. Turned out to be 8 Chinooks in formation, which was an impressive sight I can tell you! As well as very loud. xD I missed a bunch more then as I couldn't find a window I could see them from as they were literally going directly overhead, I think I missed all the WWII planes, sadly.

Got to say, some of the fighter pilots need to work on their formation flying! Not as neat and tidy as it should be, no fireballs have happened within my earshot at least, and as they were going to Cranwell which is just up the road they hopefully all got there in one piece!

Ooh, a quick look on Instagram netted some good shots!

So, it seems I not only can't count, but I can't tell my helicopters apart either. ?

This second pic is actually 5 pics and a 2 videos, you can scroll through 'em. Mouse over the pic and a scrolly arrow should show up. Enjoy ?

Oh, AND, this is proof positive that we DO have nice weather in the UK. ?

Flypasts are the coolest, before I moved I lived in a country that had those on national day every year, they basically flew from one point of the country to the other. They flew right over our house. My siblings and me would just climb on top of the highest point in our yard to watch it.

We never really were all that into military things or patriarch-ich but the flypast was just cool to watch! All kinds of planes and helicopters would pass, we couldn't tell what was what (except for some bomber planes) but that didn't matter either. I wish they had them here too.

Very nice surprise to your day! It's fun to watch the aircraft go by, especially the uncommon stuff. I'm in the midwest US and we happen to live along a corridor that one of the AF bases uses for training runs, so we have big military planes and helicopters fly over fairly frequently. My kids get a real kick out of watching them. We even managed to see a stealth bomber one time, completely by accident, it was on it's way to do a flyover at the baseball stadium last year when they were doing a military appreciation event. We were in the parking lot at the grocery store and my son spotted it and asked "Mom is that a superhero plane?" He'd never seen anything like it and he was baffled that it wasn't making noise like most planes we see! ?

1 hour ago, DragonPhoenix said:

Very nice surprise to your day! It's fun to watch the aircraft go by, especially the uncommon stuff. I'm in the midwest US and we happen to live along a corridor that one of the AF bases uses for training runs, so we have big military planes and helicopters fly over fairly frequently. My kids get a real kick out of watching them. We even managed to see a stealth bomber one time, completely by accident, it was on it's way to do a flyover at the baseball stadium last year when they were doing a military appreciation event. We were in the parking lot at the grocery store and my son spotted it and asked "Mom is that a superhero plane?" He'd never seen anything like it and he was baffled that it wasn't making noise like most planes we see! ?

Oh my gosh that's so cute! There's RAF bases all around here so planes are pretty common around here too, though I don't see them now that I live in the middle of town. I think they're not allowed to fly over the towns generally, but when we lived out in one of the villages the Tornadoes used to scream past every Thursday, regular. ?

3 hours ago, Duma said:

We never really were all that into military things or patriarch-ich but the flypast was just cool to watch!

Yep, the coolness factor's all that really matters, isn't it, lol. I bet the Queen never gets tired of them, and she gets one for her (official) birthday every year.

1 minute ago, Kute said:

Yea thats super cool! Wow I've never seen more than like 15. I wish I was there for that moment haha. 

I couldn't believe that they just kept on coming, lol. The local pigeons were freaking out too, bless 'em.

just sent this to another English friend of mine ... she always talks about the "Red Arrows" and whatnot

she was really thrilled

i guess it's an English thing then ?

20 minutes ago, Angeló said:

just sent this to another English friend of mine ... she always talks about the "Red Arrows" and whatnot

she was really thrilled

i guess it's an English thing then ?

The Red Arrows are awesome !

They totally followed me when I moved halfway across the country, too !

When I was a kid in Bournemouth they were stationed down there somewhere, they'd practice over the beach all the time, which was fabulous to watch.

and now they're based in Cranwell, just 5 miles down the road from me here, so I still get to see them. :D

7 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

The Red Arrows are awesome !

They totally followed me when I moved halfway across the country, too !

When I was a kid in Bournemouth they were stationed down there somewhere, they'd practice over the beach all the time, which was fabulous to watch.

and now they're based in Cranwell, just 5 miles down the road from me here, so I still get to see them. :D

WOW! Tell me the beaches are not always that crowded !!!!

10 hours ago, Kute said:

WOW! Tell me the beaches are not always that crowded !!!!

HAHAHA, no, not quite, that pic was taken during a scheduled Red Arrows display so a lot of people will have headed to the beach to watch that. *roots about on google* This is a pic from last weekend.

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

We are having an uncharacteristically long spell of hot dry weather at the moment, because the UK weather's so unpredictable when it IS nice people head for the beach like lemmings, lol. We Brits are not good at getting a tan, look at all those either deathly white or burnt pink bodies . . . the lad down on the bottom right especially, ouch ! So is this crowded to you ? This is definitely the normal level for a big resort town's beach on a hot weekend, on the Red Arrows shot everyone's standing and there's some kind of event stage set up there, so that is more crowded than normal. It's not usually standing room only. ?