Phew, what a scorcher!

jellysundae

20 hours ago, jellysundae said:

MWAHAHA. I'm just being awkward.

The UK doesn't use it, now. But I grew up with Imperial measurements so they're what I'm used to. It's Fahrenheit, feet and inches, and stones and pounds for me, forever. ?

Any metric measurement, and Celsius, confuse the heck out of me. ?

Huh, interesting! I guess it really takes growing up with them to think they make sense. ?  

I mean, Celsius and metric measurement are just... logical? :P  Like 0 degrees Celsius is freezing and 100C is boiling. And 100 centimeters = 1 meter, and 1000 meters = 1 kilometer. I still don't understand how feet and inches work together. Or separately. ?

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

Huh, interesting! I guess it really takes growing up with them to think they make sense. ?  

I mean, Celsius and metric measurement are just... logical? :P  Like 0 degrees Celsius is freezing and 100C is boiling. And 100 centimeters = 1 meter, and 1000 meters = 1 kilometer. I still don't understand how feet and inches work together. Or separately. ?

I've got to admit that I wonder how the Imperial measurements came about.

It's not neat round numbers like metric is.

12 inches = 1 foot

3 feet = 1 yard

1760 yards = 1 mile.

Metric's certainly tidier.

48 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I've got to admit that I wonder how the Imperial measurements came about.

It's not neat round numbers like metric is.

12 inches = 1 foot

3 feet = 1 yard

1760 yards = 1 mile.

Metric's certainly tidier.

I'm sure these measurements were intuitive at one point, but, um, not so much now. ? I mean, I think, with some effort, I could remember the first two, but 1760 yards being 1 mile? That seems like such a random number. (I just looked up the history of the Yard in its Wikipedia article, but that didn't help me much either. XD)

URGHHH, the rain is taunting us, CRUELLY taunting us ! !

Big black cloud overhead... the odd car giving a desultory flick of its wiper-blades as a drop or two falls...  but so far that it is... the suspect is killing me !  ?