I just joined Neopets!

That's awesome, welcome to Neopets and to TDN! How'd you hear about it?

I first heard about/joined in the early '00s, because my older sister was into it. ? Curious about how people hear about the site now!

Welcome to Neopets and to TDN! We have a great community here, so if you're unable to access the neoboards due to age restrictions, you are welcome here! ?

As said above: Welcome to Neopets and Welcome to our little TDN family! We have lots and lots of information so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you everyone for welcoming me, I actually heard about it through Reddit! I was on the Runescape subreddit and the Neopets subreddit was recommended by the site... Of course I had heard of Neopets before but I just got around to joining. As for questions, just starting out on Neopets seems a little overwhelming, it is like there is so much to do-- what should I be trying to do, what goals are there?

Hmmm that really depends. A lot of people create a gallery, which are showcases of things you have bought... some people try to make as much money as possible to obtain items/dream pets.... Some people train pets for battle.... some collect avatars, the list goes on but those are the big ones I can think of.   

@CannotLeave what do you enjoy doing?   I like bouncing around and am goal oriented so I spend time collecting avatars, which all have different requirements and are like a little victory each time.    If you have any questions about getting started on any of these, let me know!

11 hours ago, CannotLeave said:

just starting out on Neopets seems a little overwhelming, it is like there is so much to do

You got it, lol. There is SO much to do, and you get to enjoy discovering it all. ? If you're into collecting in any kind of way Neo is definitely a serious enabler in that respect. ? SO many people, no matter what their RL habits are, turn into total hoarders on Neopets. xD

Then there's the customising of both pets and 2 different kinds of Neohome, and earning trophies from games... making money from things like Food Club and the Stock Market...

There's so much to do you'll probably find different things corner your attention for a while and suck you in. I wonder how Neoquest will grab you...

Joining a fan community or two was a wise move though, you'll find out about so many things you might not have discovered for ages otherwise. ?

I do like fulfilling goals, I found the avatar solutions page and it seems like something that would be fun. I am not so much into collecting but if it is towards a specific purpose I am definitely interested... of course it bothers me that there are so many that have been retired, ? it means I can never collect them all right?

2 hours ago, CannotLeave said:

I do like fulfilling goals, I found the avatar solutions page and it seems like something that would be fun. I am not so much into collecting but if it is towards a specific purpose I am definitely interested... of course it bothers me that there are so many that have been retired, ? it means I can never collect them all right?

Correct, but I think there are only a handful of people on Neo who've managed to collect them all. Most of us will never be able to do that; but there will always be new avatars coming out.

10 hours ago, CannotLeave said:

Ye ah.  Honestly most people won't get most of them.  If you are looking at the avatar solutions, you can see what percent of people on here have marked they have an avatar.  Personally I have a few of the retired ones, but most I will never get.  But the same for me it true for a lot of the flash avatars just cause I can't seem to get the hang of the games so it doesn't bother me.  It's just about getting more than I used to have. ?

Welcome to Neopets and TDN! I hope you have lots of fun discovering all that Neopets have to offer!

Don't be a noob like I was so I'll share 3 mistakes I have made long ago... and not so long ago ?

1. If you truly enjoy the feeling of helping hungry pets, you might want to check out The Kadoatery (when you have NP to spare). It refreshes at certain times (there'll be people doing time-keeping on Neoboards) and you can feed them if you're quick enough. If you are slow, the only ones left will be the ones asking for ridiculously expensive food. You get an avatar once you've fed 75. My mistake was to spend over 200,000NP feeding one Kad before realising it didn't have to cost so much.

2. Beware of people on Trading Post. Most are very nice, some are clueless, a few can be mean and would take advantage of newbies. Paint Brushes are almost always expensive, and a Faerie Brush Plushie 446794343_ScreenShot2018-07-22at16_31_37.png.863ea4d043a4d6efbc6eaec01a539297.png is NOT a Faerie Paint Brush 1052348850_ScreenShot2018-07-22at16_31_49.png.fc4ef68942a83f8901faf6d05759a491.png even though they look similar. (In my defence I was an innocent kid and I never imagined people would lie to me.) You can check the price estimation of each item at JellyNeo's Item Database. https://items.jellyneo.net/item/5554/

On that note, if you ever want to paint your pets into something other than the basic colours, you can do so by using a morphing potion, a paint brush, zapping your pets at the Lab Ray (after you've collected all 9 map pieces), or for free if you have completed a Fountain Faerie Quest. Alternatively, (:offtopic:shameless promotion alert - I don't even run this guild) you might want to check out Zapping Your Dream Pets http://www.neopets.com/~ZYDP2, where you can list your wish (once your account is 4 months old), and someone will contact you if they zap a pet into what you want. That's where I adopted the Halloween Jubjub in my profile picture, and where I adopted out a Faerie Poogle and an Ice Jetsam to others. Downside is you don't get to choose the pet name.

3. Don't feed your pet a Poisonous Jelly. There was a time when I didn't understand the word "poisonous"...

I hope I haven't bored you yet! ? As said above, if you have any question, ask away! There are also guides about almost every aspect of Neopets from flash games to plot solutions to battledome, so I hope you like to read!

7 hours ago, Vlagopus said:

3. Don't feed your pet a Poisonous Jelly. There was a time when I didn't understand the word "poisonous"...

I hope I haven't bored you yet! ? As said above, if you have any question, ask away! There are also guides about almost every aspect of Neopets from flash games to plot solutions to battledome, so I hope you like to read!

HAHAHA.

This is me, giving my Gelert a magical Poogle toy to play with, and finding out first hand WHY they are called magical... my Gelert wasn't too impressed at becoming a short fat Poogle, I can tell you. :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Vlagopus said:

Except when your pet has an illness for which the cure is quite expensive (like "blurred vision"), and the Healing Springs won't hurry up an heal you, because the poisonouse jelly will give it an illness that's a little cheaper to cure ("neomonia").

11 minutes ago, CannotLeave said:

Thank you all again: another question, since this just came up: how do you help a depressed Neopet (a ghoul or something came by and now Hunnisett is crying)?

Also... I can not seem to find another option, do you have to email [email protected] to get parental consent? 

You can have them play with toys/plushies to cheer them up again, or take them for a couple of spins on the Merry Go Round.

From what I can tell, yes, that's the place to e-mail the parental consent form to. (I found the form I linked to through google , but it seems fairly old, since it only shows a fax number and a physical address, no e-mail. I have no idea if there's a more recent version of this form, perhaps someone else knows?)