How rich is rich?

gypsyknees

Anonymous poll - how many NP do you have?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many Neopoints do you have (including bank, shop till and side accounts you've transferred NP to)?

• under $1 million
    • $ 1-3 million
    • $ 4-7 million
    • $ 8-10 million
    • $ 10-15 million
    • $ 15-20 million
    • more than $ 20 million
    • more than $50 million

How many NP do you have/usually have? This is anonymous and I hope it's allowed. I just have always wondered what is considered "rich" these days.
There are other factors, for example you may have millions of NP worth of customisation on your pets but for the sake of a general overview this poll focuses on cash in hand.

Feel free to comment what you think "rich" is, and/or your goal balance. 

I too wonder what it classed as Neo-rich, it's so easy to accumulate NP that it boggles the mind really. I mean on Neo it's EASY to become a millionaire, having just 1 million NP, well... I said just there didn't I, like it's not much... I mean it's not like loose change, but is having 1 mill in your Neopian bank kind of like having 1k in your RL bank? Good to have, and good on you for building up that safety net, but not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things...

Of course if our own banks threw interest at us the way the Neo bank does...the global economy would be as messed up as Neo's is.  ?

One million Neopoints, not too hard.   Ten million?   Takes some effort to keep that much on hand.   But I'd say you'd need around 100 million Neopoints handy to be Neo-rich.   As mentioned, varies a bit with investments and so forth, and I'm sure are those with far, far more... but that's the standard to my mind.

(Personally, working to get that Mega-Platnium account.)

I'm currently working toward my goal of 100m, which I would LOVE to say is "Neo-rich," but considering how much some of those stamps cost...I'm not so sure anymore. But I think the threshold is a lot higher than it used to be. People rake in money these days from Trudy, Food Club, etc. Personally, I gain about 5m each month without trying very hard. 

I really like @jellysundae's comparison to IRL money! If $1k is roughly equal to 1m neopoints, then my neobank and irl bank are about even, which is neat! 

Even though I haven't played Food Club this year (apart from once, it tanked... lol) and I'm currently spinning the Wheel of Extravagance daily, my bank balance it still slowly climbing. I've gained a couple of mill since the first time I span it on June 18th.

I rarely play games to earn money now, I've noticed, I do this throughout the day though, which is a nice little earner in a quiet way.

tzYtRFm.jpg

I really dont think 100 mil is considered rich anymore. I would agree with @kayahtik based off stamp prices theres a lot more NP out there. I've been thinking this for many many years ever since I learned about the dr sloth auctions and what people are effortlessly biding. 

Maybe at or around 100 mil is more like neo upper middle class where youre well off but you still cant afford what ever without hurting.

I'm certain there are the ? wealthy ? high class of neo. Some legit some not. I did a little bit of digging and supposedly theres people with 1Bil + 

Also, 

Really it depends though on what your goals are?  You could be NP rich or you could spend your NP to be overall account rich.

Personally I find it easier to make NP when you have NP.  I am a NP hoarder and have no goals. I eye stamps, but... nah. lol. image.png.c7662a3a37f7591d2fbd48710237c8d8.png

Yeah that 1% of the 1% that they like to talk about, for the highest earners in a country, if they were on Neo their bank balances would probably put their RL billions in the shade, wouldn't they. ?

Filling your Neopet's bank to max capacity...  #impossiblelifegoals

I wonder what the top amount of NP you can have IS, or if this is a truly theoretical thing that doesn't actually exist because it's impossible to reach. ?

I had 100 m after CC and blew it on stamps, nerks, treasure maps. Currently trying to climb back but I get bored and gamble when I hit 20m . If CC had stayed the same and r90s sold for 30k, I'd have made I billion but it didn't and I didn't, so....

I have 12mil and consider myself poor - I basically just do my dailies, I don't restock or anything, I use the stock market but I don't do FC most of the time. So like, 12m is just what you can accumulate from basic dailies and site events over 2 years. I don't really collect anything expensive, I just...sit on it. 

2 hours ago, Kute said:

I find it easier to make NP when you have NP

YES. Just like irl, money begets money. You have to be able to afford to invest in Food Club, in RSing and sniping, in stocks, in longterm bank interest, etc.

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I wonder what the top amount of NP you can have IS, or if this is a truly theoretical thing that doesn't actually exist because it's impossible to reach. ?

I've heard before that the max is somewhere just above 6b (~2b each in the bank, in the shop till, and on hand), apparently it's something to do with the way the site is coded. This reddit thread explains it in more detail. 

24 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

I've heard before that the max is somewhere just above 6b (~2b each in the bank, in the shop till, and on hand), apparently it's something to do with the way the site is coded. This reddit thread explains it in more detail. 

AH! It's the internet/computer magic number‼ 2.147 etc. billion It's.. it's... a 32 bit integer. Yep, I know EXACTLY what those words mean... :ph34r: But it's the max amount of something that any 32 bit thingummy can have. Currency in one place, score, price in a shop, whatever. I have wondered in the past if 2.147 bill would be the limit on Neo.

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

AH! It's the internet/computer magic number‼ 2.147 etc. billion It's.. it's... a 32 bit integer. Yep, I know EXACTLY what those words mean... :ph34r: But it's the max amount of something that any 32 bit thingummy can have. Currency in one place, score, price in a shop, whatever. I have wondered in the past if 2.147 bill would be the limit on Neo.

Same! Online gaming taught me this. Not really the logic behind it but I did know about game caps depending on how things are coded.   Maplestory I have max points (mesos) . But my acc rots. 

6 hours ago, Vlagopus said:

I thought I was doing okay NP-wise, but looks like I'm dirt poor lol

It's that life thing of you didn't know you were disadvantaged until someone else pointed it out to you, isn't it, lol. So I'm gonna shun the word poor, because it's just unpleasant all round, and if you've got millions in the bank, and the vast majority of us have, then how can we possibly be poor, it's just some are SO very much richer that it beggars belief.

But in Neopia they can't display it in the way they would in RL, the money goes on things like a single stamp.

image.png.132bf4038e3cde18b08891255037b145.png

rather than a fleet of luxury cars and an ostentatiously massive house. ?

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

rather than a fleet of luxury cars and an ostentatiously massive house

There's always Neohome lol

If I knew from the beginning how expensive stamps could be, I wouldn't bother to collect them. But now that I've started, it seems like a waste to give up

24 minutes ago, Vlagopus said:

There's always Neohome lol 

If I knew from the beginning how expensive stamps could be, I wouldn't bother to collect them. But now that I've started, it seems like a waste to give up

Yep, there's no means for a Neopian to build an actual McMansion though, is there, thankfully. ?

NEVER GIVE UP. :lmaosmiley:

It's sort of like books.  I'd EVENTUALLY like to get my dear col_mack to have read all the non-boring books that she can (and a few of the boring ones that are older) but holy cow that price tag!  I have nearly 400 million neopoints to go just to buy them all (and a lot of them have no price on the jellyneo checker.  Hoo boy!) Even the booktastic list I still have about 40 million to invest in it.  And that's before stamps. . .

I'm kinda glad I don't want a mansion for my pets, because the way the book list is, I'll be lucky if I can afford a cardboard box for them to live in :p 

Heyyy I like neohome LOL.  I got the gold trophy for it :D 

However it did cost me a couple mil. Thinking about it I sort of want to sell off my neohome stuff..  

Actually. This entire post has me anxious feeling to make more NP like RIGHT NOW.  

• 5 weeks later...

I am at almost 31 mill currently - which is the most I have ever had. Most of the time, I`ve had a specific goal (like an item for my gallery, or a paint brush) that I would work towards, and then blow my NP all at once. For a long time, I`ve been lacking an earning goal, so I`ve been lazily making NP by Food Club and dailies. I just haven`t had much motivation for the past year, year and a half.. I consider myself rich because I have never had a TON of NP in my bank account, so my current balance is impressive for me.

I think someone with over 500 million NP could be considered rich. Like others have stated, there’s people who have over a billion np in their bank. I consider that extremely rich. In my opinion. 

I wish I have a billion neopoints. I wonder how much time it would take to get that many neopoints.