Favorite Food Your Family Makes?

Naamah D.

chicken fried steak with corn, mashed potatoes and that gravy that's kinda brownish grey? (she puts little pieces of the chicken fried steak chopped up in the gravy too) suuuper yummy!!

thanks for the cool question friend! have a good day/night! :D

Chicken and rice... it's a casserole pan, bottom layered with bacon, rice over top, then chicken hissi set on top of the rice, with cream of mushroom soup poured over everything.   Cover and bake, the soup cooks down into the rice which draws up the flavor of the bacon and the whole mess ends up delicious.... if it's done right.   The recipe is from the 50s, bacon, soup, and even chicken hissi have all changed enough that as written it doesn't cook right.   Mostly everything is low fat, which means it doesn't soak in properly.

My dad makes this amazing fish chowder... he's an avid fisherman, so it's always fish that he has caught himself. It's best of course when you can clean it by the lake and fry it right up, but when we were younger and we'd catch a lot he'd take some home and freeze it and then in the winter time he'd cook up the fish in this incredible soup/chowder, with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, cream of mushroom soup. The ingredients were simple but he had it down to a science. It was a recipe he'd gotten from his dad that they used to fix at the lake when my dad and all his brothers and cousins and uncles and everyone used to meet at a fishing camp every summer and spend a week at the lake. I've tried to duplicate it, but I can't get it quite the same as his.

Pierogi - frozen pierogi was a common food in the frozen section of the supermarkets back in Canada, but now that we've moved to Australia, it's nowhere to be found. Luckily, pierogi are fairly easy to make, and my mom can make really good ones with cheddar & potato filling. Add some sour cream, parsley, and bacon bits, and they're absolutely delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Chicken and rice... it's a casserole pan, bottom layered with bacon, rice over top, then chicken hissi set on top of the rice, with cream of mushroom soup poured over everything.   Cover and bake, the soup cooks down into the rice which draws up the flavor of the bacon and the whole mess ends up delicious.... if it's done right.   The recipe is from the 50s, bacon, soup, and even chicken hissi have all changed enough that as written it doesn't cook right.   Mostly everything is low fat, which means it doesn't soak in properly.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Duma).
The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from TDN Questions to General Chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Before my Grandma passed, she made the best goulash! I cook it the same way, grew up watching her, and it is not at all the same. My mother-in-law makes amazing stroganoff. I can make pretty good chicken marsala. We're a chunky bunch lol we like to eat a wide variety of things.