I just wanted to brag

babayaga67

Also how did you do the little ninjas? Are you just an artist in general? I don't think I could poof body shapes and poses into thin air like that.  Do you happen to have other cakes or a portfolio available ? I would seriously love to see them. Please keep posting :D

17 hours ago, DragonPhoenix said:

And yes, I totally sympathize because kids and cakes don't mix! I don't know how old your littles are but when my son was three he ruined a cake I'd made for a coworker's birthday and had sitting on the counter while I hunted for the right container to transport it in. I had explicitly told him to stay out of the kitchen but honestly he was three, so it was mostly my fault. He wanted to look at it and he dragged his stepstool over to the counter and climbed up, then lost his balance and fell right into the cake. Luckily he wasn't hurt but I was up all night making the replacement!

My dog has done more damage to cakes than my kids, not to say that they are completely innocent. My dog has gotten up on the counter and eaten the batter out of the pans before I could get them into the oven twice, as well as jumped up and eaten the cakes as they were cooling on the table at least four times. My oldest son is four and he is the only one who has touched one of the cakes. He can open the fridge on his own, so he poked one cake that was waiting on a pick up once. Lucky for me they were late and I had ample time to fix the cake since it was technically only one of the added decorations that he mangled and not the cake itself.

@Sarah_S this was my first time making something this size, so it was a huge learning experience.

@jellysundae The roof, like the ninjas, dragon, and trees were made out of sculpting chocolate. It is the chocolate version of clay and was a lot easier to use than pulled sugar. I also did separate flavors for every color of chocolate. Red was orange flavored, white was plain white chocolate, black was milk chocolate, green was mint and pink was strawberry. I made a frame out of lollipop sticks for the shape of the roof and I used toothpicks on the bottom to get the edges of the roof to hold out. The river was made of  blue sugar glass. I was super nervous that the melted sugar was going to run all over the board and not fill up the path that I made for it, but it seemed to want to do exactly what I wanted it to do :) 

@Kute Sculpting chocolate is just like clay, except that it can melt from the heat of you hands if you handle it for too long. It has been about ten years since I used clay, so it was very touch and go at first. Once I got used to the medium I would separate a ball of chocolate, shape a head then stretch out arms and legs. All I did at first was make the figures. I didn't take the time to pose them until I had finished a complete set. I actually made almost 50 figures, but the children at the party wouldn't stop touching them while I was trying to set it up. I just let them have whatever they played with since I wasn't going to feed that to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know if anyone flagged this topic, but I know that it has been a while since I posted any cakes. I am trying to learn how to make a unicorn sculpture cake for my daughters b-day in a few days, so I made a practice cake. I will post another picture when I make the final version. This one is incomplete, but it served it's purpose so I didn't feel the need to waste product adding needless flair on a cake that I wasn't getting made for any actual person.

Please keep in mind, this is a prototype and not the final product (a rough draft if you will)

@jellysundae might recognize what I am trying to do here...

rsz_1uni_cake_proto_type.jpg

That's going to work very nicely, isn't it! This is a plushie cake!! That takes things to a whole new level of adorableness, AND removes the height issue that a lot of fancy cakes create. Your daughter's gonna be so thrilled! Have you hidden this trial run from her?

• 2 weeks later...