nervous about Florence

sunshineparadox

Hi everyone! You don't see me much. I'm quiet during the days because of work, but I do the crossword/puzzle in the mornings. But hi! Nice to meet y'all! I've been playing Neopets actively since 1999. My active neopet is 15 or 16 years old.

I'm in the path of Hurricane Florence, and they're starting to talk evacuations (not just preparedness) even though we're inland. And I'm nervous about it. My husband and I have four cats and a toddler, which would be hard to move if we had to (although we absolutely would). I've remember Hugo and Fran where I was, and while they were bad, they weren't hurricanes anymore by the time they got to me. But this one might be. We live on a hill, so I'm less worried about flooding than I am about pine trees falling.

Anyone else worrying right now?

I'm nowhere near, but my sister is currently going to Guilford College in Greensboro, NC. I'm not sure if she's in the path or not, but I am a bit concerned.

Definitely make plans early just in case. I don't know if shelters in your area would let you bring your cats, so plan accordingly. I read too many horror stories about lost pets after Hurricane Sandy hit my state. My cats are terrified of car rides, so I worry about one day having to quickly evacuate and not being able to grab them. They run under the nearest bed when they see us bring out the cat carriers.

I hope you and your family make it safely through this. I've heard a little bit about it on the news, but I do not know anyone on that side of America that has personally been speaking of it. I was not aware that they were evacuating. Keep us updated if you can! 

I've got family in the path of the storm and my cousin posted earlier tonight that her kids' school is already cancelled for tomorrow and on through the week until further notice. They are not under evac warning yet, but they may be soon. They have been through a number of storms before and they take proper precautions, but it's always stressful. As you already indicated, your best bet is to be prepared and keep informed as the storm conditions change. Even the best predictions don't always get the track of the storm just right once it comes ashore, so conditions can change quickly. Trust yourself and your instincts, and do what you have to in order to keep your family safe. Everything else can be repaired.

One thing that might help with your kitties... you could call your vet and see if they offer any kind of medicine that would help calm anxiety in cats during such an event. My sister's vet gave her something like that for her cat when she had to take him on an airplane for the first time. It wasn't enough to totally sedate him or anything, but it definitely made him calmer than he normally is when he has to travel in his crate.

Best of luck and stay safe! Keep us posted!

2 hours ago, DragonPhoenix said:

One thing that might help with your kitties... you could call your vet and see if they offer any kind of medicine that would help calm anxiety in cats during such an event. My sister's vet gave her something like that for her cat when she had to take him on an airplane for the first time. It wasn't enough to totally sedate him or anything, but it definitely made him calmer than he normally is when he has to travel in his crate.

There is also an all-natural product you can get from most pharmacies over the counter called "Bach's Rescue Remedy". I've not used it personally, but I've known many friends who give it to pets and children (even horses) during storms or travelling... anything stressful. You just put a drop or two in the mouth (or in water) and it is just made from plant extracts. Like DragonPhoenix said - it's not an actual sedative, just a bit calming. Could be helpful!

Edit: In looking at the label I see the product is made in Canada so I'm unsure how good the distribution is in the US... but I bet there would at least be similar products.

Edited by charelan
additional info

15 hours ago, charelan said:

There is also an all-natural product you can get from most pharmacies over the counter called "Bach's Rescue Remedy". I've not used it personally, but I've known many friends who give it to pets and children (even horses) during storms or travelling... anything stressful. You just put a drop or two in the mouth (or in water) and it is just made from plant extracts. Like DragonPhoenix said - it's not an actual sedative, just a bit calming. Could be helpful!

Edit: In looking at the label I see the product is made in Canada so I'm unsure how good the distribution is in the US... but I bet there would at least be similar products.

I live in the US and have a pug (prominently pictured in my profile pic) who used to get night terrors and attack my mom during them because she was abused by her previous owner. We started giving her something called Quiet Moments by NaturVet. It's all natural and she doesn't have night terrors anymore. I would try this as it is cheap and over the counter. My area, also inland, was hit hard by Sandy. You are correct that the pine trees did most of the damage, but there's not much that can be done about that other than moving everyone to an area of the house that cannot be hit by a pine tree, if you have one. Expect to be out of power for at least a week if you're hit hard, so I would stock up on glow sticks for your kids. I was probably 15 when Sandy hit and I'll tell you what, sitting there in the dark as the wind howls outside is pretty scary, even when you're a teenager. That all only applies if you don't get a mandatory evac, anyway. We were not asked to evacuate, but we don't live that close to the shore. Best of luck and stay safe!

• 1 month later...