The lab ray is dangerous!

GillyTook

Just a silly topic, but it IS!  I've adopted 3 pound pets on my side account to use as a lab rat (including one whose name is Chinese for test drive-how apt!) and I ended up liking the colour that all three ended up!  Definitely keeping the pink kyrii, but the pink grundo and the wraith gelert are quite tempting to just leave as is.  I didn't even LIKE the way grundos look before I started this!

i agree 

i go on endless sprees of keeping my lab pet as it is with no further zaps .. just like im doing to 16B who turned Marble today

but eventually i get bored and start zapping again

the Wraith Gelert is wow though

Haha, can I just say that I'm jealous?! I finally completed my lab map when they added the 5th pet slot for regular accounts, and I created a new pet specifically to zap, since I liked the color on all my existing pets. My dream was that I'd get some cool colors/species to admire temporarily, and that maybe I'd get lucky enough to zap into one of the ones that you need for an avatar.

Fast forward MONTHS of zaps... I have received exactly ONE color/species change. ONE. I've gotten several "Level reset to 1" zaps, a handful of "No effect" zaps, and the rest of the time it will grant me 1-2 points in some stat, only to reduce 1-2 points in the very same stat the next day.

I concur that the Lab Ray is dangerous... but for me it's dangerous to my sanity, because it's frustrating me to no end. Anyone else ever had a really crummy run with the Ray? I'm assuming it is all completely random and my luck just stinks, but I don't know. I've only had access for a relatively short time, so maybe I just don't have a perspective for how common color/species changes are?

50 minutes ago, DragonPhoenix said:

Haha, can I just say that I'm jealous?! I finally completed my lab map when they added the 5th pet slot for regular accounts, and I created a new pet specifically to zap, since I liked the color on all my existing pets. My dream was that I'd get some cool colors/species to admire temporarily, and that maybe I'd get lucky enough to zap into one of the ones that you need for an avatar.

Fast forward MONTHS of zaps... I have received exactly ONE color/species change. ONE. I've gotten several "Level reset to 1" zaps, a handful of "No effect" zaps, and the rest of the time it will grant me 1-2 points in some stat, only to reduce 1-2 points in the very same stat the next day.

I concur that the Lab Ray is dangerous... but for me it's dangerous to my sanity, because it's frustrating me to no end. Anyone else ever had a really crummy run with the Ray? I'm assuming it is all completely random and my luck just stinks, but I don't know. I've only had access for a relatively short time, so maybe I just don't have a perspective for how common color/species changes are?

I find that the amount of colour/species zaps I get varies wildly (here's a link to my JN lab ray logger). I do feel that I've gotten less of them lately, after the first time my pet's level was reset to level 1. The 'no change' zap didn't happen at all for me the first year, but has happened 6 times since mid-July, after I first got down to level 1. (So maybe low(er) level pets just have worse luck?)

I did keep my Stealthy Cybunny for a month, but after a while I wanted to continue trying for other good colours. There's definitely a chance I'll eventually find a colour I like enough to keep though. :smile:

Here's my zap log too, I LOVE this feature of JN's ?

@Nielo what level was your pet when they got the back to level 1? Cora just lost 2 levels again today, so back into training they go! I keep them at 40 just because I've got the dubloons hanging around and I'm hopeful to avoid THAT particular zap, though no-one actually knows what level it stops hitting you, do they, or even if it ever does... ?

I see your pet's level 42 now, so you train too, and I'm wasting my wishful thinking on evading that horrible zap... ?

9 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

@Nielo what level was your pet when they got the back to level 1? Cora just lost 2 levels again today, so back into training they go! I keep them at 40 just because I've got the dubloons hanging around and I'm hopeful to avoid THAT particular zap, though no-one actually knows what level it stops hitting you, do they, or even if it ever does... ?

I see your pet's level 42 now, so you train too, and I'm wasting my wishful thinking on evading that horrible zap... ?

Yeah, it's a great feature!

I'm not sure which level it happened at exactly, he just kept losing levels, and losing levels, and since he wasn't my active pet at that point, I kinda lost track of where he was at when I went down to level 1. I think around level 20? Maybe a little below? And unfortunately, level 42 was his starting level. He's currently level 2. :P I only ever train one of my pets, and even that one only sporadically. I'm really lazy when it comes to taking any kind of care of my pets. XD
So I think if you keep your pet at 40, you should be fine, since it took a lot of lost levels (starting at 42) for my pet to get down to level 1. I didn't really mind though, I never spent any time/codestones training this pet anyway, but now that I've realised my zaps have gotten slightly less interesting, I kinda wish he'd never gone down to level 1. Oh well.

7 minutes ago, Nielo said:

And unfortunately, level 42 was his starting level. He's currently level 2. :P

OH, lol. That bit for my lab rat doesn't show anything , just eternally gathering my stats (does it show for you?) so I didn't realise what yours meant, lol.

So maybe keeping Cora at level 40 isn't a waste of time then, I'll find out sooner or later, I'm sure!

21 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

OH, lol. That bit for my lab rat doesn't show anything , just eternally gathering my stats (does it show for you?) so I didn't realise what yours meant, lol.

So maybe keeping Cora at level 40 isn't a waste of time then, I'll find out sooner or later, I'm sure!

It doesn't show up for me either; I'm not sure how I got mine there... Maybe it has something to do with pre-adding it?

Add a Pet

If you'd like to pre-add a pet, you can do so here. If you do not add a pet, it'll be registered automatically if you submit a zap.

I think I added mine before I started zapping, so maybe it saved those stats? ?

I don't think it's a waste; 40 seems pretty safe (at least, in my limited experience of having one labrat, for one year). :smile:

16 minutes ago, Nielo said:

I think I added mine before I started zapping, so maybe it saved those stats? ?

Yeah, looking at the page it certainly seems like it might be that.

I'm hopeful that 40 is safe‼

4 hours ago, Nielo said:

I find that the amount of colour/species zaps I get varies wildly (here's a link to my JN lab ray logger).

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

How sad is it that I never knew this existed lol? I use JN all the time for pricing and for working on books/gourmets (you don't even have to have an account to use those checklists, I'm an admitted lurker over there!) but I was unaware of this one. Perhaps if I actually track my zaps I will be able to tell if I'm terribly unlucky or just feeling salty because I don't like my lab pet's current color and I want it to change already. Ah well, here we go!

11 minutes ago, DragonPhoenix said:

How sad is it that I never knew this existed lol? I use JN all the time for pricing and for working on books/gourmets (you don't even have to have an account to use those checklists, I'm an admitted lurker over there!) but I was unaware of this one. Perhaps if I actually track my zaps I will be able to tell if I'm terribly unlucky or just feeling salty because I don't like my lab pet's current color and I want it to change already. Ah well, here we go!

I only discovered it by accident, stumbled upon it whilst wandering about on there, lol.

I keep contemplating sending Herdy a Neomail about it, because my antivirus keeps prompting me to remove it because it's got a low rating. If they could maybe do a post about it on JN and got more people to rate it, but I never get beyond contemplation. ?

I really like the JN Lab Ray logger. Also I wanted to chime in about the zapping. I have 6 pets, 5 of them I won't zap at all. The 6th pet I pick from the pound. I zap that pet until I get a color I think someone may enjoy and then I pound that pet and adopt another and start all over again. I recently zapped a Shoyru  into Toy. I thought it was cute and did offer it on the adopt forum but no takers. I moved it to a side account and adopted another pet to zap. Anyway, I always hope I am going to zap them into something special so I can offer them back to others via the pound or adopt forum. I'm scared to zap one of my regular pets for fear of color change or like you others have said, losing stats. Oh,that would be upsetting!

20 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I only discovered it by accident, stumbled upon it whilst wandering about on there, lol.

I keep contemplating sending Herdy a Neomail about it, because my antivirus keeps prompting me to remove it because it's got a low rating. If they could maybe do a post about it on JN and got more people to rate it, but I never get beyond contemplation. ?

Which antivirus are you using?

I didn't know rating add-ons was even a thing... I just rated it, although it took me embarrassingly long to figure out how. (Just in case any other Firefox users want to rate it, but can't figure out how, because just going to your add-ons and clicking on the lab ray logger's ratings does not actually allow you to rate it yourself, you have to click through to the add-on's detail page. :P )

1 hour ago, Nielo said:

Which antivirus are you using?

I didn't know rating add-ons was even a thing... I just rated it, although it took me embarrassingly long to figure out how. (Just in case any other Firefox users want to rate it, but can't figure out how, because just going to your add-ons and clicking on the lab ray logger's ratings does not actually allow you to rate it yourself, you have to click through to the add-on's detail page. :P )

I'm using AVG, I'm glad you rated it, does that mean it's had a whole 6 people rate it now?

*checks*

yup.  ?

I've zapped several pets but most have been pounded due to a developing disinterest (usually related to the fandom I based a given pet on) before I achieved a color/species I was happy with. 

The first pet I ever zapped, I transferred to my side years ago where it couldn't be zapped anymore until just recently when I, at last, unlocked the lab on that account. My goal there is a faerie cybunny. 

Another I zapped until it became a hissi, painted it Halloween mostly for the skeletal accessories and it became the first pet I stopped zapping and then soon subsequently started again out of dissatisfaction. I'm still zapping it. 

I've managed to zap one pet a color I'm happy with. A Wraith Pteri. Not what I'd had in mind, I believe a Darigan Eyrie is what I was going for but decided this was better. You can't really go wrong with wraith, pretty much all species are bitchin' as wraiths. 
I did also manage satisfaction with another lab pet, my eventide Xweetok but not via the lab. I just zapped her while deciding what I wanted her to be and once I did I used an MP and PB. 

On 9/12/2018 at 7:38 AM, DragonPhoenix said:

Anyone else ever had a really crummy run with the Ray? I'm assuming it is all completely random and my luck just stinks, but I don't know. I've only had access for a relatively short time, so maybe I just don't have a perspective for how common color/species changes are?

I consider my lab fortune poor as I get far more stat changes than color and species combined and as I am not an idiot I never zap if I'm just interested in stat changes. 

I've been getting more color changes on the pet I'm zapping on my side than the one on my main but that's still not the fortune I'm seeking as it's been a koi since I'd stopped zapping it due to transferring it from my main and I don't want it to be a koi. 

19 hours ago, Buffy said:

I consider my lab fortune poor as I get far more stat changes than color and species combined and as I am not an idiot I never zap if I'm just interested in stat changes.

I always thought that was normal? I mean, looking at JN's lab ray logger, most possible effects are related to stat changes, so anyone who gets more colour/species changes is probably just insanely lucky.

43 minutes ago, Nielo said:

I always thought that was normal? I mean, looking at JN's lab ray logger, most possible effects are related to stat changes, so anyone who gets more colour/species changes is probably just insanely lucky.

Could be. That sounds rational. 

Have you guys noticed that the zaps seem to run in cycles sometimes?

I've noticed this with the petpet ray too; I'll get a slew of species changes from that over a brief period of time, and then no more for quite a while.

On my original account I went through multiple colours/species in one week from the lab ray,  starry twice if I remember rightly, which I think I do because I was disgruntled as I don't LIKE starry. What a waste of a zap, you know? ?

Also... if being disgruntled means I'm unhappy about something, does that mean that if I'm pleased with something then I'm gruntled about it... ?

Whoa, yes it does! https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gruntle

image.png.c601d08891a48aa61d7632f23f03d1bb.png

? it's such a fun-sounding word, lol. Ah, reading the link it seems someone made it up in the '20s though, it's not really a proper word. ?

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, aleu1986 said:

That is awesome, thanks for teaching us a new word, jellysundae! :D

Haha, you're more than welcome, I can always be relied upon for dropping random trivia into my posts. ?