Restocking newbie asking for help

mcilveen2md

Hi all, 

I recently rejoined neopets and I've done some research on restocking but it doesn't really seem to be helping. I'm new at this so I think I'm a bit dazed an confused. 

First things first, here's my account details. I'm a 35 days old, so about a month, so rarity only up to r94. I've tried used Jelly neo and other sites to find the best bang for your buck items but i'm still struggling. Many shops either don't restock that often, or don't have rare items... or have so stinking many items that i'm lost and can't even know where to begin (Chocolate factory). Not to mention all of the old guides online about certain stores. 

Can anyone show me an updated list or how they created their list without losing hundreds of thousands of neopoints? 

I really want to get into this but I feel discouraged!

Help please!!

Even if its just a few hundred/ thousands neopoints... starting small is fine by me! I just want to learn

Hi there and welcome! ? Restocking is a really frustrating thing.

I suggest you make your own lists specific to your account limitations by using the right hand box on Jellyneo - keep item name blank, enter the shop you'd like to shop in, rarity of 0 to 94 and price, descending. That will give you a return of what you can buy from most valuable to least valuable (keep in mind some JN prices can be well out of date).

It is near impossible to nab anything with a huge profit because of all the cheating a**es using an autobuying program. I really wish TNT would deal to them all. Even if they can't detect a program in use they MUST be able to tell by all the user shops that stock hundreds of mega-NP items in multiples. Surely they could weed them out that way?! *rant over* 

?

9 hours ago, mcilveen2md said:

Is there a shop that you think is easiest to start out on? I know on some old guides it says chocolate factory and things like that but I was wondering if there's any updated ideas?

I would recommend starting out in one of the book shops! There isn't usually a ton of profit to be made there, but most of the items are inexpensive, so even if you make a bad call, you don't waste too many nps. The main bookshop in Neopia Central is good, because it stocks a lot of items at once, so there's less competition. However, the other bookshops (in Faerieland, Kreludor, Lost Desert, Brightvale, etc.) can also be good because they stock fewer items at once, which makes it easier for you to look through them and spot the good ones (although it means that there's more competition). 

It's probably not the answer you want to hear, but pretty much the only way to become good at restocking is practice and patience. You'll need to sit in a shop, refreshing every few seconds, for hours and hours and hours before you finally start to learn what the junk items are and what the good items are (looking through the JN item lists can help you study this even while the shop is empty), and also how to quickly and accurately select the good item, haggle, etc. It can be really disheartening because it takes so long to get good, but for the most part you get out what you put in, so keep at it! Good luck!

There are other ways to make profits in the game

Try to make 15K a day at least through games or other means to throw straight into stock market. 

Also I recommend training your pet up to be able to battle koi warrior in the battledome since it seems to give the most codestones that you can sell right away for thousands in your shop. It will be well worth it! 

Last but not least, since you are new please please complete all your dailies ! You'll make a nice helping profit off the prizes you get from them which you can sell in your shop.

As far as restocking every 3rd of the month is half price day, you'll find really good profits to be made and if you can try to spend the day buying up as much as possible. I would stay away from the chocolate shop, thats just my personal preference, because its too flooded with other people as its well known as "the place to start".  I like the card shop and the bakery and usually only stock from those. But the card shop is really hard, you have to memorize names instead of pictures of items. 

Hi! First and foremost, welcome to Neopets!

Second, basically what everyone said above. Dailies are very useful (even if just collecting junk - you might want to discard them if you're interested in the Rubbish Avatar, or just hang on to them for Charity Corner, especially the cheap ones with high rarity)

As you become more familiar with restocking, you'll develop a list of items that sell well. Current examples include Ptolymelon (no idea why but always managed to sell them all within one day), Toy Sailboat, and Snorkle Snout. Chocolate Factory was easy and profitable when I started playing, but not anymore (likely because too many people restock there). Prices can also be seasonal - see price history of Gourmet Cooking For Your Pet.

You can see when the last price update was on Jellyneo, but generally, shops at Neopia Central update more often, while non-food, non-collectable, non-book items might not be updated for over a month or longer, so you might want to check with Shop Wizard.

For some reason, items priced at 2,500 NP (in certain shops) usually don't give you a profit. A lot of r90s are priced at 5,000 NP, but if you can still see them at the shop after refreshing a few times, chances are they will give you a loss. Some 2,500 NP items are worth buying, and it's possible to buy them at 2,000 NP, but too much time spent haggling means someone else will beat you to it.

The employment agency is also a good place to earn some quick bucks (pick the ones with large profit and long time, and finish each task asap). You can also pay attention to which items are being asked for often, and those will likely be easy to sell at your shop.

Hope that helps!

p.s. I still haven't unlocked the Koi Warrior - can you believe it?

I think the easiest place to start would be the Neopian Pharmacy, because there isn't a huge variety of items and it's not competitive. There are actually only three profitable items that stock there, which are Extra Thick Goggles, Sporkle Syrup and Magic Goop. Since you know exactly what to look for, you won't make a bad investment. You will usually make a 10k profit for the goggles, ~50k for the syrup, and ~25k for the goop. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably get bored with the pharmacy, so the next easiest place would be the magical bookshop, as kayahtik suggested.

Thank you all!!! This has been so helpful!

I've been trying the magical bookshop and I've started a google spreadsheet of how long it takes to sell, how much I bought it for, how much I listed it for and how much profit I've made. I have run into a few books that haven't been so profitable sadly, but there are some that have really worked out. 

I think I'm going to go ahead and try to pharmacy! It's a lot easier when you know what exactly to look for. 

For the Magical Bookshop, honestly, none of the r94 books ever come up... even if I refresh thousands of times that day, they just never seem to be there. So I tend ti buy books after checking jellyneo, but like some of you said, sometimes the price fluctuates more often than jellyneo can update. So, a learning process!!! 

I also wanted to ask... I've looked at Plushie Palace wondering if any of these are profitable and it's difficult to tell bc jellyneo has a plushie section but not the specific shop. So there are way too many plsuhies to even tell what is actually worth buying or not... 

Do you all have any suggestions as far as that goes? Do the magical plushies even come to this shop? 

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. Use the 'Edit' button or Multi Quote to reply to more than one post at once.
Per the reason above, please review our SPAM rules.

42 minutes ago, mcilveen2md said:

Do you all have any suggestions as far as that goes? Do the magical plushies even come to this shop? 

The "Plushies" list on JN (https://items.jellyneo.net/search/?cat[]=99&min_rarity=1&max_rarity=100&status=1) is in fact the list of items from the Plushie Palace. There are other plushie items in Neopia, but the ones included in that list are all r100 and lower, meaning they restock in the shop. The r101 (special) and r180 (retired) items aren't included. In case you didn't already know, the rarity number refers to how frequently an item shows up in a shop, so like you noted earlier, r90+ items are seen much less frequently, which is why they're more valuable.